Menu

Could I possibly handle using Write Shop and CW at the same time?

Guest Dulcimeramy

Guest Dulcimeramy

For two different kids, of course.

I am sure that CW for Older Beginners is perfect for my 13yo, and I am sure that my 11.5yo. will hate it.

I'm 99% sure that my 11.5yo will like (or at least tolerate and learn with) Write Shop.

Both programs make sense to me, and both come with the level of hand-holding that I require. I'm just not sure exactly how much time this will all add to my already-packed homeschool day.

Any thoughts appreciated! Can you think of a better plan that is still streamlined and fairly scripted?

Oh, I should mention, ds13 has completed both R&S Grammar (through 5th grade) and Harvey's Elementary Grammar. ds11.5 has completed R&S Grammar (through 4th grade) and Intermediate Language Lessons.

If you are extremely kind and/or bored and devoted to helping me with this, but you don't know what to recommend since you haven't seen their writing, you can see samples here for the 13yo and here for the 11.5yo.

Thanks very much :)

Edited by Dulcimeramy

Well, I could not do it. CW intimidates me. We are on lesson 25/30 in Write Shop. It has been beneficial for us. As to the time it will add to the day, I wrote a bit about how we use it in our house and how much time I spend with it:

Writeshop users...scheduling help, please....

Other posts that might be helpful:

Write Shop review

Tell me about Writeshop

I tried CW for Older Beginner with my then 12 yo. I burned out right around Christmas. It was way too teacher intensive and cumbersome. I found that it went way too slowly in the things my son was quick at but too far too long to address the things my son's writing needed addressed. And it isn't easy to tweak at all. I frankly don't know what all the fuss is about in this program! It makes things way too complicated! I love that it tried to emulate the classical progymnastmata and I could see how deeply it taught the subject-matter but it was not a good fit for us at all and was basically a waste of time, money an energy.

We are now using Writeshop which is far more teacher friendly. However, my son is bored with it, so we are switching over to Learn to Write the Novel Way. This particular kid just can't get moving on writing. I have to light a fire under him somehow!

Well I'm sure everyone is tired of me saying how great CW is but I'll do it again LOL. Of course I am far enough along now to see "what all the fuss is about" but it was difficult for me early on to justify the time it took to understand it and then implement it. Now that I understand it, I find it very easy to implement, tweak etc but even if it was still very time consuming, I'd still do it because of the results I'm seeing at the high school level.

But you'd need to be willing to do it and want to do it. WriteShop and CW are not similar in approach or philosophy so it's hard to say what to do because you'll need to decide which approach you think is right for your family and then do it. You need to believe in what you are doing to make it work, in all subjects but probably no more so than in writing.

Heather

Well I'm sure everyone is tired of me saying how great CW is but I'll do it again LOL. Of course I am far enough along now to see "what all the fuss is about" but it was difficult for me early on to justify the time it took to understand it and then implement it. Now that I understand it, I find it very easy to implement, tweak etc but even if it was still very time consuming, I'd still do it because of the results I'm seeing at the high school level.

You need to believe in what you are doing to make it work, in all subjects but probably no more so than in writing.

Heather

:iagree: TOTALLY. I wanted to toss Homer out the window several times, but I just got my Diogenes Maxim, and I see that it is going where I had only dreamed it would be headed. I, too, now see what the fuss is about.

:iagree:I also agree with Heather's comment about believing in what you are using-no matter what curriculum you end up choosing.

Edited by ncmomo3

Guest Dulcimeramy

Thank you all so much. I'm thinking I'll actually try it.

Sue's link to her typical schedule for Write Shop made that program seem much more reasonable to me. I didn't realize we could take two weeks for the lessons.

Both programs make sense to me. Write Shop reminds me of my high school English and Journalism classes, so I think I could get used to it quickly. CW seems harder, but very much a natural extension of the WTM and CM methods that ds#1 is accustomed to using. Also, I'd like to do the program myself, alongside my son.

I think Nate would be bored and unchallenged with Write Shop, and I think Jonas would cry at the sight of CW. These boys are 18 months apart and so different! I've learned to find materials that suit them individually, even if it makes a ton of work for me.

Look for an update from the Loony Bin, or a post on the Sale board for Write Shop or CW, if I find myself drowning after a good trial.