Menu

Okay, so if we REALLY don't want our ACT scores to go anywhere...

AuntieM

...because taking this test the first time in 10th grade is strictly for practice, what am I to make of this statement on the registration site:

=====

"Automatic Reporting of Scores

Some state/federal scholarship or education departments use ACT scores as one source of information to recognize student achievement. ACT reports student records for this purpose without requiring you to use one of your college choices. If your mailing address or high school is in one of the states or other categories listed below, your ACT record will be reported automatically for consideration and/or research. Your scores will be reported unless you specifically direct us, in writing, not to do so. To direct us not to report your scores, send a letter postmarked by the Monday immediately after the test date you don't want reported. Address your letter to: ACT Institutional Services, P.O. Box 168, Iowa City, IA 52243-1068.

"For individual state consideration: Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, West Virginia.

"For Presidential Scholars consideration: All states, District of Columbia, U.S. territories, Puerto Rico, and U.S. citizens abroad"

======

We are in one of the states listed. Should I plan to do that letter? If I do that, when ds IS ready to take the test for keeps, and send out scores, do I have to send out another letter, or will just selecting locations via the online registration at that time supersede a previous letter?

Or do I just not worry about it if the state scholars program receives a stinky set of scores now, then a much better (perhaps/hopefully/hopefully not necessary!!!) set of scores later?

I hope some of you have BTDT... would love to hear from ya...

My sophomore is taking the test this April - just for practice, though I expect him to score high. If not, I want to know where the gaps are so we can fill them in. I hadn't even thought about automatic reporting until I saw this thread. I'm thinking I'm just going to let it be... I'm kind of thinking those groups are going to want scores from juniors or seniors anyway. If a sophomore doesn't score all that well, or has a gap or two, I seriously doubt it will affect anything as long as better scores come down the road.

I am not in one of those states and her scores won't be good enough for Presidential scholar since she is in 7th grade, so I am not doing anything. Her score is going to CTy and to home. I do have to check if STEM at the Naval Academy wants them too and add that.

The other is a junior and she is freely letting colleges find her by her range of scores, if not the actual scores.

I really don't think this reporting is to college admissions offices (or the part of the admissions office that collects and retains student data in an admissions file). I might be wrong, but I think the reporting is for recognizing/contacting high scoring students for scholarships and academic recognition. I believe that the ACT policy of --only sending the scores you request-- is still in place.

I would not send any colleges any scores (you get to send a certain number free) until 11th/12th grade. Then you can cherry-pick the one or two best scores. We sent two ACT scores to colleges -- both with the same composite -- because certain sub-scores were better on one than the other.

A note to consider - the school where my ds is a freshman considered the ACT Writing score for college English class placement/exemption. If your student has a score that is close to exempting him/her from a freshman English class, it might be worth a re-take if you are on the fence. :001_smile:

~Brigid

Edited by Brigid in NC