Menu

AAS users, what size magnetic board do you need for the tiles?

rafiki

We're working with Level 1. Looking ahead, I don't see a way to use a cookie sheet. The materials recommend a 2' x 3' magnetic board and I really do see the benefit.

We used the table until we got the board, so it is doable without the board, but if you are going to use magnets, I do think you need the larger size.

So they have you working on the board too? I was thinking the cookie sheet for rimmed storage and making the tiles easy to find. I suppose possibly two cookie sheets would work, one for storage, one as work space for those who don't want something so large or space concerns?

Unfortunately, nope. The two cookie sheets - even big ones - won't be large enough.

The tile set-up is laid out in the books. To have the whole alphabet there in order, you want a minimum of 2' long - and 3' is better.

Our magnetic board rests against a wall. It can also fit behind a desk when not in use.

You have the tiles laid out for the lesson. The board gives storage - and helps with work. I like the idea of using the blank tiles to figure out what letter goes in the blank space. It also does well with splitting vowel sounds and consonant sounds. Unfortunately I figured that out after writing a "q" on the blank blue tile. So I got more blank tiles by laminating red and blue cardstock :)

My son started saying "q, u" when alphabetizing, so I felt it better to separate the q and the u.

If you really don't want a whiteboard to start, you can just lay out the tiles on a table or the floor for a lesson. When things settle down more, then you might get the whiteboard. We started without the board but I'm glad we have it.

Would they all fit on a magnetic cookie sheet?

I think the 2' X 3' size does make it much easier. However, here is a video someone put on the chatterbee, showing how they store & use their tiles on cookie sheets.

BTW, after almost 2 years of thinking I had no place 3' wide to hang my white board, I finally figured out to hang it vertically and rotate the set-up, LOL! Now it fits on my closet door, ha!

Merry :-)

For you Sam's Club members, they sell a magnetic white board which would compliment AAS very well. It's a Quartet Dual Side Whiteboard/Bulletin Board and measures @ 2' x'3' (I measured the frame, the measurement will be slightly less if you only measure the actual work space). You do have to check on your store's availability but I was just on their website and my local Sam's still has it .