Menu

Planning ahead

mom2paul

I have a son in 9th grade. I am wondering if online programs that are accredited, issue grades, transcripts and high school diplomas are really necessary. Is my parent directed curriculum sufficient, which includes the necessary credits he will need for college entry? Thanks.

Hi :)

When I was where you are, I wondered the same thing. I spent time calling some of the colleges my dd was remotely interested in and asking them what they would like to see. They all said they'd honor a parent-generated transcript. I think this is partly because my dd has high ACT and SAT scores that compliment her GPA. If the test scores were lower, I wonder if it would have been a different story.

That said, I decided to enroll my dd in Home Life Academy anyway. I think now, I probably *could* have done it all on my own...including all the paperwork for the National Merit competition AND all the state financial aid stuff. However, when I think of the value of *my time* and all the footwork that HLA has done *for me*, I don't regret doing it. Even the phone counseling has had MUCH value to me.

I have five more children. I guess I'll wait until next fall to decide if I will enroll my next dd in a few years.

I realize this is probably not a useful post. I guess I just wanted to point out that in some ways, it will depend upon the school. ALSO, while the state I live in has NO requirements for hs'ers, each college wants to see the graduation requirements for the state the college is in met. ALSO, when we applied for state financial aid, we HAD to have all the credits *they* require, there is no *give* there.

Lots of things to consider. You are wise to do your homework *now*. :)

It's going to depend on the colleges your students are interested in. For us, our parent directed education was sufficient for my oldest - along with high SAT/ACT and one cc class so he could use the Prof as a reference as well as supply an outside grade.

For my middle son it's going to be totally parent directed with perhaps more cc classes. I already know he's going to have high SAT/ACT scores, but he wants a more competitive field, so every little bit extra will help. He's already receiving info from colleges based on his sophomore PSAT. They know he's homeschooled, so that obviously isn't a concern. Today he got one from his probable dream school - the University of Rochester. He loves all their undergrad research opportunities in the medical sciences. I love their commitment to providing 100% of need + decent merit aid. We'll be contacting them directly shortly to see what they would like to see from a hs applicant and planning his junior and senior courses accordingly.

From what I read, 99% of colleges will accept your transcript. They may require SATIIs or cc classes in certain areas however. Since you're in FL, take advantage to the free Dual enrollment. Dc are eligible after 9th grade & must place in college level classes (no remedials.) And since the entire state system matriculates, they're just that much further ahead of their peers.

The only schools I heard of that require an accredited transcript are the service academies.

Edited by K-FL

Today he got one from his probable dream school - the University of Rochester. He loves all their undergrad research opportunities in the medical sciences. I love their commitment to providing 100% of need + decent merit aid. We'll be contacting them directly shortly to see what they would like to see from a hs applicant and planning his junior and senior courses accordingly.

Creekland,

Last year my son was accepted at U of Rochester and won a merit scholarship, too. He had a great interview there, and a really awesome tour of the campus. He really loved the school, and it was among his top couple of choices. He didn't end up going there, but he got a great impression of the school.

And to the OP -- my son applied last year with a mom-made transcript, and it wasn't an issue anywhere. I did make sure that he had the courses required by the schools, and he also had some outside verification of his efforts (some on-line courses and some at our local CC).

Brenda

Creekland,

Last year my son was accepted at U of Rochester and won a merit scholarship, too. He had a great interview there, and a really awesome tour of the campus. He really loved the school, and it was among his top couple of choices. He didn't end up going there, but he got a great impression of the school.

Brenda

If your son was interested in either biological or chemical research - possibly pre-med, I'd absolutely love to know what other colleges y'all considered. We're just getting going now with this son. He was certain he wanted Biomedical Research - until he started Chemistry this year. Now he's trying to decide between the two. Someone mentioned U of R to me - and me to him - and he loves the possibilities there, but is really uncertain that he wants north and snow. :tongue_smilie:

Do you remember what they wanted to see from homeschoolers? SAT 2? AP? Other? He'll have the SAT and ACT scores needed to be competitive almost anywhere, but we're not interested in Ivies. I like places that assist with merit and/or need aid as we don't have that high of an income right now - but not super low either - and our savings got hit with the economic stuff. My focus for him is going to be getting him the education he needs/wants with low debt since he's already told me he's interested in going all the way to PhD. We don't need nor want high undergrad debt.

Any thoughts are welcome (from you or anyone else). I want to know what possible colleges want to see so I can plan his junior and senior year. We'll visit next year - and in winter for U of R. :)

In the meantime, he's also having a blast looking through all those brochures generated from his sophomore PSAT. He was thrilled to get one from U of R and has signed up on their site (at least I think he did. I told him it was ok.).