Menu

Tell me more about Phonics Road?

Lovedtodeath

My kids all knew their letters and sounds before going into formal education. The older two went to Montessori school (3yrs - K) where they teach them to call the letters by their sounds rather than their name. My youngest who just started PR1 is in 1st grade and can read very well - she obviously knows her letters and their sounds. None of them had issues moving to calling them by their sounds. It took my dd about 30 minutes this week to go from traditional letter and sounds calling to knowing all 51 of the phonograms introduced in the first 4 weeks and all the sounds (in the PR) order.

While I completely disagree with Mrs. Beers little spiel about English being as foreign as Latin to a young child, I don't think her feelings on this affect the program at all. I do get the feeling this won't be the last thing that Mrs. Beers says that I don't agree with, but the program as far as I can tell is removed from being forced to believe everything she says in order to teach it and be successful. Of course it's not for every child, but if you think it might be for you, don't let this excerpt chase you away.

Heather

:iagree: ;)

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you have me....someone who didn't do preschool, just read to them a ton. None of my children knew any letters or sounds b4 teaching them to read. I'm not quite Moore philosophy, but just don't do anything formal for early ed. We still turned out okay :D I do believe in Osmosis though! My youngest could add and subtract and I never, ever taught him how. It did make for a pleasant K year :)

I do get the feeling this won't be the last thing that Mrs. Beers says that I don't agree with, but the program as far as I can tell is removed from being forced to believe everything she says in order to teach it and be successful.

Like y not making the long e sound? cuckoo, cuckoo... We will not be marking candy or baby with a short i sound, thank you very much.

Yet another consideration, when you are teaching your older students, your little ones are usually close by, watching and listening. I swear those little ones seem to almost learn by osmosis!! So, by the time they are presented with learning to read, they know so much already. That would never be the truth if we were to hand them a passage in Chinese. See what I am saying? Okay, I am done.

Okay, well... he did say two of the sounds before Mrs. Beers. ;) Yes, you are done. Stop raining on our parade. :D:tongue_smilie:

Like y not making the long e sound? cuckoo, cuckoo... We will not be marking candy or baby with a short i sound, thank you very much.

Okay, well... he did say two of the sounds before Mrs. Beers. ;) Yes, you are done. Stop raining on our parade. :D:tongue_smilie:

Now do you know what I mean when I say we laugh and pretend we're little leprechauns? At least telling them the origin allows the spelling rule make sense (y to i before adding a vowel suffix).

The babi ate the candi...say it and pretend you're Sean Connery...now you feel it, don't you? :lol:

Stop....parade...:lol: I love this place.

Guest aquiverfull

That is one thing I don't get either. Is that also taught in AAS? Just curious.

So I know this thread is about PR, but Carmen are you planning on going into LR after this?

If you don't mind my hijacking this thread for a moment... do you think there will be enough grammar covered in LR? Maybe Tina can answer that, Tina aren't you doing LR?

Also I've read that a lot of people didn't like LR because of the amount of writing involved. How do you feel about that Tina? Thanks!

The babi ate the candi...say it and pretend you're Sean Connery...now you feel it, don't you? :lol:
Oh, that is why y has a short i sound. LOL

I know, in modern American English we say a long e sound. AAS teaches that y also makes a long e sound. It is actually one of their FAQs on their site.
So I know this thread is about PR, but Carmen are you planning on going into LR after this?

If you don't mind my hijacking this thread for a moment... do you think there will be enough grammar covered in LR? Maybe Tina can answer that, Tina aren't you doing LR?

Also I've read that a lot of people didn't like LR because of the amount of writing involved. How do you feel about that Tina? Thanks!

DH is not convinced of the necessity of Latin. We will either use LR or a root study like Vocabulary for the College Bound. I made a plan all the way through highschool for each subject, and the plan is to use LR and Analytical Grammar. AG takes less time than other grammar programs, but we would still get consistent review.

Tina?

The i/y thing is about origin of language. She does point out in Y2 that modern english has stretched out the sound to sound more like eee. I always thought that remark would have been nice in Y1. Still...just feel green and all Sean Connery...it makes for a good laugh every time. Admittedly, I am a teacher of many accents (valley girl, cheerleader, British, Scottish, Ghetto, Southern), I'm kinda nutty that way!

There is a Lot of writing in LR. Basically, the student is creating their very own Latin instruction manual, so they write out everything for their notebook. The goal, according to B.B., is they can teach Latin to another, using their notebook. I will say, though, it really is as simple as, "Complete this day 1. Complete this page day 2. Complete Practice A and B day 3..."

There is an expected level of grammar understanding with the program. B.B. expects your student to Know English Grammar. We use Daily Grams also b/c it reviews punctuation and sentence combining, two things we have not encountered yet with LR. It may come later, I can't say. We're 3/4 through Y1.

Like PR, I love the format (very similar in nature), and I find it very thorough. Also, as someone who loves English Grammar (I'm such a nerd :) ), I love the approach. It's so wonderful to discuss the english language every day :D

But, yeah, be prepared for the writing component. Notebook intensive for sure.

But, yeah, be prepared for the writing component. Notebook intensive for sure.

I wonder if that factors in to TWTM recommending LR to be started in 7th or 8th. TWTM also awards high school credit for LR. I would think that if LR proves to have too much writing then each level could be stretched out for more than one year.

I wonder if that factors in to TWTM recommending LR to be started in 7th or 8th. TWTM also awards high school credit for LR. I would think that if LR proves to have too much writing then each level could be stretched out for more than one year.

I pulled my WTM out last night to look at rec's, & it didn't look like they were *really* fond of LR...which is ok, I haven't generally fared well w/ their rec's, but that's ok, too. It just always gives me pause, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I didn't see PR in there at all. :confused:

One thing, though--glancing thr the ms & hs sects of WTM for the 1st time in a while (since having kids?), I'm borderline panicked. We've got a long way to go before anything that sounds like the g levels they're describing! I suddenly want to do PR, LR, Spanish immersion, & even the Lively Latin already sitting on my shelf.

Which, btw, brings me to something else. We *do* have LL. I like it. We only dropped off because a) dd6 wasn't ready for it last yr, & there were tears fr both her & ds about doing a subj apart fr ea other & b) the littles created so much chaos, something had to go. But I had planned to get back to it by next yr.

Will I like LR/PR better? Should I use both? Will the littles make PR too hard, too? Really, I think I need a preschool/infant boarding sch for them for a couple of yrs. :lol: Then we could do it all, right?

Today we did history. 1/2 a chapter. And the littles were *more* cooperative than usual. When dh gets in, I'm about to tell him all the reasons hs'ing isn't working. We seem to do that a couple of times a yr. Once that's solved by his Supreme Rationale, maybe PR will be the temporary band-aid (until littles grow & Life stops happening, lol). :001_huh:

On the plus side, they're all getting bigger & better. At everything. :lol:

Indeed. Stretch away...we are!

B.B. says when you finish w/ all 3 LR levels, you have 2 years of H.S. Latin credits!

I started this last year and dd was not ready, so I put it on hold for a year. She's one year older, more Logic-stage minded and doing well now! We started the entire thing over this year and have made great progress. This is Not for a grammar stage child, def. not.

I pulled my WTM out last night to look at rec's, & it didn't look like they were *really* fond of LR...which is ok, I haven't generally fared well w/ their rec's, but that's ok, too. It just always gives me pause, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I didn't see PR in there at all. :confused:

One thing, though--glancing thr the ms & hs sects of WTM for the 1st time in a while (since having kids?), I'm borderline panicked. We've got a long way to go before anything that sounds like the g levels they're describing! I suddenly want to do PR, LR, Spanish immersion, & even the Lively Latin already sitting on my shelf.

Which, btw, brings me to something else. We *do* have LL. I like it. We only dropped off because a) dd6 wasn't ready for it last yr, & there were tears fr both her & ds about doing a subj apart fr ea other & b) the littles created so much chaos, something had to go. But I had planned to get back to it by next yr.

Will I like LR/PR better? Should I use both? Will the littles make PR too hard, too? Really, I think I need a preschool/infant boarding sch for them for a couple of yrs. :lol: Then we could do it all, right?

Today we did history. 1/2 a chapter. And the littles were *more* cooperative than usual. When dh gets in, I'm about to tell him all the reasons hs'ing isn't working. We seem to do that a couple of times a yr. Once that's solved by his Supreme Rationale, maybe PR will be the temporary band-aid (until littles grow & Life stops happening, lol). :001_huh:

On the plus side, they're all getting bigger & better. At everything. :lol:

We usually knock out PR when our little is asleep. We can do otherwise, but I do have to keep him in one spot b/c I need to give the attention to the PR lesson. Back when dd was wee, she was such a sling baby...awww those were the days...I miss my littles being really little!

I feel that panic a wee bit too, only for finishing up Logic and being ready for high school...ugh!

I tried to find a Bauer review, but couldn't. I did come up with This Old Schoolhouse though.

I am watching the videos and a couple of things I noticed... She teaches the whole week all at once, so it is up to the teacher to break it down into days. How does that work? Also... she writes all of the words on the chalkboard. I noticed some of the words have new things in them... so you teach new rules and such as you are writing new words? You teach each lesson exactly as she does? Maybe I missed something at the end of the first or second disc. I am not sitting and staring at the screen while they are on, but I am getting laundry caught up. :tongue_smilie:

We usually knock out PR when our little is asleep. We can do otherwise, but I do have to keep him in one spot b/c I need to give the attention to the PR lesson. Back when dd was wee, she was such a sling baby...awww those were the days...I miss my littles being really little!

I feel that panic a wee bit too, only for finishing up Logic and being ready for high school...ugh!

I tried to find a Bauer review, but couldn't. I did come up with This Old Schoolhouse though.

Ack--there's too much to knock out while the littles sleep, lol! And inevitably, when they go to sleep, the bigs start getting attitudes. :glare:

I know what you mean about attention. Their eyes glazed over at the details of England & Russia fighting over Afghanistan today. But I think that was partly because they were up till 11 last night playing Settlers of Catan. :D

I saw that TOS review, too. I sure wish their reviews were meatier. Sometimes I feel like reading one of those is like asking Pollyanna whether or not the glass is half full. :lol:

Dh has offered to work OT to pay for the curric; he thinks it would be a good idea. But he's looking at the $200 for Level 1. I'm thinking we'll need Level 2 so fast that it's really more like $550, if you incl an extra stu bk for L2 & the lit study.

Well...I'm off to go re-discuss how to actually nail these two jello-monsters to trees. :lol: One of them was FAKE throwing up today. That takes a level of personality I'm really not prepared for. :001_huh:

The other one was real throwing up, crying, pausing to say 'yuck,' then saying 'yum' w/ a deadpan face, then giggling & saying he's funny, followed by 'yuck, yuck, yuck.' He's ONE. :lol:

I'm such a geek. We made a tool box to hold her phonogram cards. I even bought cool tool stickers like in the video to decorate. My daughter thought that was so fun.

LOL!!

Heather

That's cool--I wish we were close enough that I could come see! :001_smile:

Ok - first thoughts.... Just a few hours in so there will be more updates later.

The materials are of excellent quality. Everything is nicely wrapped, high quality card stock for the cards, decent weight paper for the sheets etc. Nice thick ziploc-type bags to wrap the materials.

I watched the introduction and the lessons for Weeks 1 - 5. Weeks 1 - 4 is one dvd "lesson" and Week 5 is on it's own. There is truly no way that someone could not understand what she's explaining. Her lessons take the 'Phonics Road for Dummies' to the extreme. This is both a plus and a minus. On the plus side, I know I'll never wonder what I'm supposed to do. On the minus side, for some of this stuff I really don't need this much explanation. But I found that I could fast forward once I got the point. For example, she goes through teaching the formation of EVERY letter. Yikes. For me that wasn't critical since 1) I know the clock face way to teach letters and 2) my daughter can write her letters. So I watched a few and moved on.

The first 4 weeks each 51 phonograms - the 25 single alphabet letters, 'qu' (instead of q since you can't have q without u) and then ones like 'er', 'ir' etc. All of these are ones my daughter has learned but not in the PR way. For example, she knows that 'a' makes more than one sound but didn't learn the 3 sounds in the PR order. I went through the cards with her today (just the single letters) and after 3 times through she got it no problem. She joined me to watch the week 5 DVD lesson. I was surprised to find her interested in it. The lessons are pretty dull to me - although very informative - but she sat and watched and answered the rhetorical questions Mrs. Beers threw out. It was kind of funny. She's definitely excited to use PR and just through watching the DVD starting being able to predict the markings on the word list she was using for demonstration. I was concerned about that because sometimes she has trouble with that kind of analysis.

I am not at all sorry I didn't use PR to learn to read. Yes we are covering already learned material but covering it in terms of spelling and analysis is different than learning sounds to read and I think all of it at once could get overwhelming to a child. If you knew you were going to use PR, you could always teach them the phonogram cards as you learn to read but save all the writing, spelling, marking and rules for later. That's just me. I know plenty of people have used this method (PR, SWR, AAS etc) to learn to read from the beginning, but I'm not sorry we didn't.

Negatives that I see so far: Mrs. Beers doesn't really give kids a lot of credit or respect in teaching the teacher. I'm sure it comes from years of classroom teaching (her DVDs have a very 'schoolteacher' feel to them) but I started getting annoyed her 'children just don't understand this' comments including assuming that a 1st grader wouldn't understand if she said right hand or left hand. Sure some might not but most will. I just found it odd that here she was promoting a program that dumps a lot in kids laps quickly and yet didn't seem to really think kids understand a lot. Also, I really hate having to cut up all these cards. Yes - this is a short term problem and can't be helped but yuck LOL. I can see why some people feel trapped by the program. I think that was a comment in some of the 'why did you stop' posts. She gives you such detailed instructions that some may feel stuck and uncomfortable veering from the plan. I've been schooling long enough that nothing makes me feel that way anymore so I'm not worried about that.

Ok - more later. Hope this helps someone.

Heather

Thx heather. So very tempted.

Anyone using OPGTR? how do you make the switch? Anyone used shurley and switch?

I was able to get the plug in to work this morning. I really like what I see of this program, plus I noticed the samples under the years. I didn't see them at first.
Samples? Where?

I have a question about AAS. Are they meant to be grade levels? Do you basically need just one level a year, assuming you are not catching up but starting from the beginning with a K'er or 1st grader? I'm trying to figure out which one would be more cost effective.

Well we have established that PR level one covers at least 3 levels of AAS, but it does have a consumable student notebook. Then after level one PR covers more LA then just spelling. I really think that they are both very good programs and that the cost ends up being about the same. I would recommend either of them. It just depends on what you are wanting. Me, I want all in one!

Samples? Where?

Click on the level you want to see; it takes you to a long list of what's incl in ea pkg, & there are lots of columns of checkmarks that I normally whiz past. On the left column, where it says what it is, eg, "Foreman's Manual" or whatever it's called, there are a couple of little icons on some of them. I forget what one is, but the other's the PDF symbol. Click that. :001_smile:

Guest aquiverfull
Click on the level you want to see; it takes you to a long list of what's incl in ea pkg, & there are lots of columns of checkmarks that I normally whiz past. On the left column, where it says what it is, eg, "Foreman's Manual" or whatever it's called, there are a couple of little icons on some of them. I forget what one is, but the other's the PDF symbol. Click that. :001_smile:

YEP! This is how I found the samples. They are hidden pretty well this way..lol. It took me looking at it a few times to actually see them.

Carmen, thanks for comparing AAS/PR. So in the end you'd have to buy more levels of AAS to get through all that PR covers spelling-wise?

I'm still not sure if I want AIO or not. However, the more I think about the challenges of switching programs (a sad experience wth my 11 yr old) the more I think I need something AIO. Switching many times is extremely frustrating. I'm about to switch again, and it's so hard.

I don't know where to go, really. R&S seems pretty thorough, but so boring. MCT sounds awesome but way out there..lol. (just far from traditional that I'm used to)

Switching again will likely cause us to have to back up to cover things... ahhhhh I hate it. But CLE is just not going to cut it here.

I've thought about the Bridge for her and then into LR, but I'm afraid LR will be too much writing for her. She hates to write. That's something that we are trying to slowly remedy. I know I want to add Latin in soon. We are considering Latin for Children.

I know one thing, I HOPE I'm smart enough to learn from these mistakes and give my younger girls a smoother ride.

Well we have established that PR level one covers at least 3 levels of AAS, but it does have a consumable student notebook. Then after level one PR covers more LA then just spelling. I really think that they are both very good programs and that the cost ends up being about the same. I would recommend either of them. It just depends on what you are wanting. Me, I want all in one!

So now I am thinking here...how do you think this would work for my little one. Next year she will be in 2 grade. Since we did PR 1 and stopped mid PR 2.

2 grade--AAS levels 1-3 ( or as far as we get at her pace. I am thinking all 3 since it covers the same materials as PR 1) Use PLL for language studies. And narration integrated into other subjects.

3 grade --PR 2 and just do our our own literature study since we did the Little House, or re-do it. (if we are enjoying AAS stay there and use ILL)

4 grade--PR 3

5 grade --PR 4

6 grade -- Latin Road or finishing up PR depending where we are at.

I really loved PR when I used it. My dd just hit a huge wall and I knew we need to pull back. I sold my level 1 to purchase level 2 but I still have it. I think that I am just scared to break it back out....afraid that we will hit another wall and waste time. sigh. I just need to make a decision to either use it or sell it! Any one want a level 2 program?:lol:

Lynda

I am watching the videos and a couple of things I noticed... She teaches the whole week all at once, so it is up to the teacher to break it down into days. How does that work? Also... she writes all of the words on the chalkboard. I noticed some of the words have new things in them... so you teach new rules and such as you are writing new words? You teach each lesson exactly as she does? Maybe I missed something at the end of the first or second disc. I am not sitting and staring at the screen while they are on, but I am getting laundry caught up. :tongue_smilie:

If you look in the Teacher's Binder you will see a bold black line and that's how you break the week into days. Four words a day.

Every time a rule comes up you sing the jingle.

I'm not sure what you mean about "You teach the lesson exactly how she does?" I watch the dvd, take my notes and teach the lesson;) You don't have to memorize exactly what she is saying. Sometimes she will give you, the teacher, more information, but for a young child it might be too much.

What I do is watch a weeks worth at a time, take my notes and I'm ready to go:) Some will watch a months worth or more. Whatever works for you.

HTH,

I'm not sure what you mean about "You teach the lesson exactly how she does?" I watch the dvd, take my notes and teach the lesson;) You don't have to memorize exactly what she is saying. Sometimes she will give you, the teacher, more information, but for a young child it might be too much.

Thank you that helps. Yes, after using several phonics and spelling programs, teaching from the binder (not needing the DVDs so much) seems like a cinch!

What I mean by "teach exactly how she does?":

She is spelling all of the words. With AAS you have your student spell the words. Is it okay to teach as she does and do all of the spelling and explaining, and your student just copies? Do you test at some point after doing it that way?

*All of my questions are answered on week 5 of the DVD.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Thank you that helps. Yes, after using several phonics and spelling programs, teaching from the binder (not needing the DVDs so much) seems like a cinch!

What I mean by "teach exactly how she does?":

She is spelling all of the words. With AAS you have your student spell the words. Is it okay to teach as she does and do all of the spelling and explaining, and your student just copies? Do you test at some point after doing it that way?

You don't have the child copy. You say the word have them write the word as they say each sound, then you write it on the board. I believe Mrs. Beers does mention to have the child write it first so they are not copying you.

If they need help with what phonogram to use for instance the word 'head' and they are not sure about the middle sound /e/ than you can ask questions to walk them through it until the figure out it's 'ea'.

I usually 'finger spell' the word so they can see that 'head' is using two letters in for the middle sound and not one. I wrote about it here on my blog.

Edited by Homeschooling6

*All of my questions are answered on week 5 of the DVD.

Hmmmm... but she is introducing new concepts in the middle of spelling new words! I guess you have to not teach as she does. Teach the new concepts first, then have DC go through the words.:001_huh: When do they learn the markings that way? Another thought is that some people have their DC watch Mrs. Beers with them, so they are obviously not doing it that way.

What about filling out building codes? I will have to watch that again. Surely they aren't expected to do that on their own.

I really think that having Emily copy would work better at first. She is such a perfectionist that she refuses to try anything. Hmmm... I am glad I allowed time to wrap my head around this new approach while we are still using AAS. On the DVD she sounds out and spells everything, even the words vowels and consonants!

Okay, that is why one would want to use AAS.... it is easier*! :tongue_smilie:

*for the student. It still has a learning curve for the teacher.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Guest aquiverfull

Keep talking Carmen. :)

It's really interesting to read this. It may help me to make a decision.

I hope the learning curve for you isn't too steep and it works out well for you and your dd.

I am glad someone is benefitting from my rambling. I think I just need to shut up and watch the DVD's again. ;) I think that there should be a few pages in the TM that at least say "how to use this program". Does everything have to be on the DVD?

*It is all on week 5 of the DVD.

Well, I am off to make a map of the Celtic world. To be continued...

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Hmmmm... but she is introducing new concepts in the middle of spelling new words! I guess you have to not teach as she does. Teach the new concepts first, then have DC go through the words.:001_huh: When do they learn the markings that way? Another thought is that some people have their DC watch Mrs. Beers with them, so they are obviously not doing it that way.

What about filling out building codes? I will have to watch that again. Surely they aren't expected to do that on their own.

I really think that having Emily copy would work better at first. She is such a perfectionist that she refuses to try anything. Hmmm... I am glad I allowed time to wrap my head around this new approach while we are still using AAS. On the DVD she sounds out and spells everything, even the words vowels and consonants!

Okay, that is why one would want to use AAS.... it is easier*! :tongue_smilie:

I don't teach the new concepts first. Are you talking about the rule tunes. For instance the word "ago" say /A/ then /g/ - /O/. With my hands I say "A" then other hand 'go'. Finger spell, have the child write it and sing the rule tune that tells a, says, a, at the end of a syllable. Is that what your talking about when you say that it teaches a new concept?

You teach the marking as you go. Doing this everyday and singing the tunes; they will get it. In the beginning have the child write the words and you show them how to mark it. Eventually they will get it and do it on their own.

Building Codes, you do them with the child.

Remember that before you start the actual spelling list, the child should know most of the phonograms, so you can walk them through what phonogram to use.

Edited by Homeschooling6

I am glad someone is benefitting from my rambling. I think I just need to shut up and watch the DVD's again. ;) I think that there should be a few pages in the TM that at least say "how to use this program". Does everything have to be on the DVD?

Well, I am off to make a map of the Celtic world. To be continued...

When you have a moment (not while doing laundry;)) have your Teacher Binder, pencil and remote to pause when needed. Look through the material and I think (hopefully) you will understand it better.

It's really not very complicated once one sits, listens and writes (note taking):D. Just take the time when the kiddos are napping to look through everything :)

HTH,

Duh. I had to get Jake out of bed and so I put the DVD in and got the binder out. The "how to use this program" is right there at the beginning of week 5 and it isn't confusing at all. When she said "Hmm, that is new", she meant that we hadn't spelled that sound before. The phonogram was already introduced back in the first 4 weeks.

I think my biggest challenge is a teacher with ADD.;)

I am wondering if this will teach syllables as well as AAS. I will see as I use it!

Okay, that is why one would want to use AAS.... it is easier*!

Please keep talking because it is helping me to decide...either pick PR back up or go with AAS.

How is AAS easier for the student than PR? This may really be my deal breaker here. This may hit some of the things that my dd hit a wall with PR.

PR-- I did it both ways sometimes on a monday when things were tight or I was busy--I let me dd watch the video and she did all the words for the week. Then the other days we would work through the words together again.

I did teach building codes and rules as they applied to each word when we did that particular word.

Lynda

Ok - we did 1/2 of the first week with words today (week 5). They are all words she knows how to spell but I focused on having her concentrate on the sounds and learning whether or not to mark. We did it all with the cards today and will write them in the book on Monday.

So I have a question. Why does the word 'go' only have a line over the 'o' (which I realize is for the long sound) but doesn't also have a '2' for using the 2nd sound the 'o' makes. My dd was putting both the 2 and the line. I didn't know what to say about that. To me that meant she was understanding but maybe I'm missing something and there is a good reason to only have the line above the 'o'.

Heather

Ok - we did 1/2 of the first week with words today (week 5). They are all words she knows how to spell but I focused on having her concentrate on the sounds and learning whether or not to mark. We did it all with the cards today and will write them in the book on Monday.

So I have a question. Why does the word 'go' only have a line over the 'o' (which I realize is for the long sound) but doesn't also have a '2' for using the 2nd sound the 'o' makes. My dd was putting both the 2 and the line. I didn't know what to say about that. To me that meant she was understanding but maybe I'm missing something and there is a good reason to only have the line above the 'o'.

Heather

If I'm remembering correctly; a single vowel, when saying it's second sound only needs to be marked not numbered because the single vowel is following a rule. For the word 'go' it's at the end of the syllable.

If I'm remembering correctly; a single vowel, when saying it's second sound only needs to be marked not numbered because the single vowel is following a rule. For the word 'go' it's at the end of the syllable.

Ahh so while numbering it isn't wrong, it's unnecessary because of the rule. So we did the marking, the number and the rule. I guess we are over-acheivers LOL. The one thing about the rule that bugged me was that you learn the 'a, e, i and u usually say their name at the end of a syllable' with the first word 'me'. Then the second word 'do' is an example of when the rule doesn't work. At that age I would think you'd save the exception until at least the next lesson.

Heather

Please keep talking because it is helping me to decide...either pick PR back up or go with AAS.

How is AAS easier for the student than PR? This may really be my deal breaker here. This may hit some of the things that my dd hit a wall with PR.

The program is set up differently. The student is not expected to learn so many different rules all at once. If you look at the scope and sequence of AAS it is very plain. A whole lesson (which could be a week, could be less, could be more... it is a mastery based program) is devoted to each new phonogram. The first level only teaches 31 phonograms! In addition to this the teacher actually teaches a couple of words before the student is expected to do any. Now one thing that I have had to do is make sure that we are reviewing the words that we already learned on a more consistent basis. It has taken me most of the first level to really get comfortable using AAS in the way that it most benefits us.

Am I crazy for switching? Yes. AAS is going very well for spelling. I want more. It is in Emily's best interest that we stick with AAS for a little while longer, it would be detrimental for me to get all excited about PR and switch her now. I do want to switch to PR for level 2 because I really want AIO. I also feel that after being successful at spelling for 2 levels of AAS she will be able to handle PR.

Should you switch to AAS? Hard to say. Your DD will most likely be extremely bored with AAS if she has already done most of PR 1. If my DD had already done most of PR 1 I would feel like the first 2 or 3 levels of AAS were a total waste and have a hard time sticking to them. If you had trouble working one on one with your DD and had her watch the videos, then you will also have trouble with that aspect of AAS.

Ahh so while numbering it isn't wrong, it's unnecessary because of the rule. So we did the marking, the number and the rule. I guess we are over-acheivers LOL. The one thing about the rule that bugged me was that you learn the 'a, e, i and u usually say their name at the end of a syllable' with the first word 'me'. Then the second word 'do' is an example of when the rule doesn't work. At that age I would think you'd save the exception until at least the next lesson.

This is an example of so much coming at the child all at once.

A couple of things that I have noticed (and I could be wrong, I mean, I sure was before!), the rule tunes use the names of the letters. You know, those things that we have been completely ignoring? If you have a preschooler or Kr using this program as their first introduction to letters, that doesn't really make much sense. A similar phenomenon... I do not see a student learning how to write capital letters, but then they just show up in the lesson when they write certain words. (again, I could have missed something).

Guest aquiverfull

Just wanted to say thank you to Carmen, Tina, Linda, and Heather. This has been so interesting! The samples are so hard to really tell how this program works. I'm glad you are all talking about it here, it's definitely given me a better understanding.

:bigear:

aquiverfull, I still don't know what to tell you. Phonics Road seems wonderful in theory. It is learning to read by spelling, just like back in the days of the one room school house. But it is scary that it throws more at kids all at once. Well... you know, that may work for most kids. It worked to teach DD to read when she was 3, but I wasn't using a multisensory step-by-step method or program. Maybe using the program would have made the difference. (Since we never finished out phonics and she didn't learn how to spell at the same time as learning to read.)

I think that All About Reading is more and more sounding like an attractive option, but at the same time... is it too slow and incremental for most kids?

Guest aquiverfull
aquiverfull, I still don't know what to tell you. Phonics Road seems wonderful in theory. It is learning to read by spelling, just like back in the days of the one room school house. But it is scary that it throws more at kids all at once. Well... you know, that may work for most kids. It worked to teach DD to read when she was 3, but I wasn't using a multisensory step-by-step method or program. Maybe using the program would have made the difference. (Since we never finished out phonics and she didn't learn how to spell at the same time as learning to read.)

I think that All About Reading is more and more sounding like an attractive option, but at the same time... is it too slow and incremental for most kids?

I see what you are saying and I think my 5 year old could handle it, but I'm still leaning towards starting this next year with her when she's 6. However, I don't know if my 3 year old dd (will be 4 in June) could handle something like that at 5 or even at 6. I hate to spend a lot of money on a curriculum that I can only use for 1 child. Yet, I know that sometimes that is necessary. Hmmm... lots to think about.

I'm really interested in hearing what you think after you use PR or at least get to look at it some more. Are you planning on using Level 1 at all?

I see what you are saying and I think my 5 year old could handle it, but I'm still leaning towards starting this next year with her when she's 6. However, I don't know if my 3 year old dd (will be 4 in June) could handle something like that at 5 or even at 6. I hate to spend a lot of money on a curriculum that I can only use for 1 child. Yet, I know that sometimes that is necessary. Hmmm... lots to think about.

I'm really interested in hearing what you think after you use PR or at least get to look at it some more. Are you planning on using Level 1 at all?

Well I would think that you could do the same thing with your 3 year old that I have done with Emily. Start out differently and then use PR in a higher grade level. I wouldn't think that PR would be a total waste on your second student. KWIM?

I will use level one at some point because it teaches so much more than AAS in a completely different order, and I will likely not buy AAS level 3. I will need to do some of PR level one before starting in PR level 2. It may be that I use PR 1 over the summer and just drop all other subjects in order to do that.

Guest aquiverfull
Well I would think that you could do the same thing with your 3 year old that I have done with Emily. Start out differently and then use PR in a higher grade level. I wouldn't think that PR would be a total waste on your second student. KWIM?

That's a good point, I didn't think of it that way. Thanks! :)

I suppose I could also use PR with her if I took it more slowly.

The program is set up differently. The student is not expected to learn so many different rules all at once. If you look at the scope and sequence of AAS it is very plain. A whole lesson (which could be a week, could be less, could be more... it is a mastery based program) is devoted to each new phonogram. The first level only teaches 31 phonograms! In addition to this the teacher actually teaches a couple of words before the student is expected to do any. Now one thing that I have had to do is make sure that we are reviewing the words that we already learned on a more consistent basis. It has taken me most of the first level to really get comfortable using AAS in the way that it most benefits us.

Should you switch to AAS? Hard to say. Your DD will most likely be extremely bored with AAS if she has already done most of PR 1. If my DD had already done most of PR 1 I would feel like the first 2 or 3 levels of AAS were a total waste and have a hard time sticking to them. If you had trouble working one on one with your DD and had her watch the videos, then you will also have trouble with that aspect of AAS.

I had trouble sitting with her at times because we were focusing too much on the "extras" of homeschooling and the fun stuff. Plus she liked to watch the Dvd's and would ask to watch them. It made things easier for her because she could copy the words that way. This particular child seems to do so much better with a hands on mastery math program. We used a bunch of math programs for her and the one that really made it all click is Math u see. I finally purchased it as a last resort in Jan --in 1 1/2 mths she has flown through half of the alpha program. To me AAS seems like math u see --please correct me if I am wrong. I am thinking that moving through levels 1-3 even at a fast pace may make some things click for her. Then move back into the faster pace PR2.

I am hesitant to just start PR2 with her without reviewing PR1 materials prior. I guess I am thinking that ASS might give a fresh perspective on an old idea to her. I am concerned that the ASS only goes to the 31 phonograms ---how many phongrams are covered by the end of level 3? She knows all of her phonograms except for about 10 that we are still working on mastering.

sigh ----tons to think about. I love that we are all typing (thinking) out loud. It really helps me to think and remember why we did certain things. I do know that from looking at the All About Reading reader that is currently out --my dd is way beyond that for reading.:auto:

Lynda

A couple of things that I have noticed (and I could be wrong, I mean, I sure was before!), the rule tunes use the names of the letters. You know, those things that we have been completely ignoring?I don't know of any other way they would be able to learn the rule tunes without saying the letter name. Even SWR says the letter names to teach the rule. If you have a preschooler or Kr using this program as their first introduction to letters, that doesn't really make much sense. A similar phenomenon... I do not see a student learning how to write capital letters, but then they just show up in the lesson when they write certain words. (again, I could have missed something).

The student learns capital letter in week 13.

Guest aquiverfull

A couple of things that I have noticed (and I could be wrong, I mean, I sure was before!), the rule tunes use the names of the letters. You know, those things that we have been completely ignoring? If you have a preschooler or Kr using this program as their first introduction to letters, that doesn't really make much sense. A similar phenomenon... I do not see a student learning how to write capital letters, but then they just show up in the lesson when they write certain words. (again, I could have missed something).

Ok I missed this the first time. So what do you mean by "those things we have been completely ignoring"? Do you mean because Mrs. Beers has been saying the sounds of the letters instead of the names?

Ok I missed this the first time. So what do you mean by "those things we have been completely ignoring"? Do you mean because Mrs. Beers has been saying the sounds of the letters instead of the names?
Yes. I do not see the child ever learning the names of the letters, but then the names of the letters are used in the rule tunes. No problem for DD, of course, but if I intend to start out with PR with DS it is something that I will need to figure out.