Menu

Learning Mandarin

tsuria

Hi,

I need some help in this area. I'd like to introduce Mandarin to my children and while I can speak Cantonese and Hokkien, I am not Mandarin-speaking. For those of you who are learning Mandarin with your child/children, can you please let me know which program worked best for you and why plus cost? Understand that the programs may come with a number of things/options to purchase but would like to know what's necessary to buy first. What worked for you and what didn't?

Thanks so much.

Phebe

Hi,

For those of you who are learning Mandarin with your child/children, can you please let me know which program worked best for you and why plus cost?

QUick answer? no I can't tell you ;-)

Long answer: I've already given up on Mandarin, but I don't speak any Asian language at all. DD9 is on her own with the language. She uses a long distance class from France, which would be of no use to you unless your kids also speak French. She's acing the class so far.

I don't speak Mandarin. I'm using Better Chinese with my dd. (she's 7 1/2) It's going pretty well, I think. We're learning together and it's fun. She's using My First Chinese Reader vol. 1. We got the Teacher's Guide (in English), the textbook, 2 workbooks (them come as a set of 2), the audio CD and the 6 month online curriculum. The online stuff is fun for her. Each story from the book is animated, along with extras for each chapter. If you have that, you wouldn't need the CD. I had already bought the CD when I decided to add the online option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I speak Hokkien and dh speaks Cantonese. We are using Rosetta Stone because dh liked it. Dh can read and write Chinese more fluently than I can so he's the main Chinese teacher. If you can read Chinese, it's easy to pick up Mandarin.

Many of my Cantonese-speaking friends have an easier time picking up Mandarin than my Hokkien-speaking friends.

But it all boils down to learning along with your kids and speaking Mandarin with them as much as possible. That's the area we're struggling with: using what they are learning everyday so they get used to hearing and speaking Mandarin.

If you're kids are already speaking either Cantonese or Hokkien, it makes the learning curve not as steep.

HTH

Anna

I also speak cantonese. I learned mandarin when I was in college because I had to communicate with foreign students from Taiwan. I read fluent Chinese.

I don't know about your situation. But I am teaching my son mandarin using a program called Stanford Chinese school by Lip-ping Ma (?). This program has CD that directs kids to practice everyday. It also has homework everyday. It emphasizes on reading/speaking, less on writing at the beginning. It has 10 levels.

If you can read and somewhat speak mandarin (with an accent, like me), this program should be a good one for you. I used to use another program for non-native speakers that didn't not turn out so well.

Here is the web address: http://mychineseschool.com/

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mtb2008

There are iPhone and iPod touch applications that can help. One that I thought that may meet your needs is "ABC Chinese." It has four languages, English, Mandarin (Traditional and Simplified) and Cantonese. My two year old son uses it and has great results so far.