Menu

Just took two pregnancy tests...

The first was positive. Definitely positive. Freaked out and had another one. Took the second one. Negative. So, do you think there is any possibility the first one was wrong?

Waiting for the baby to wake up so I can go to the store.

The baby.

Oh my.

Oh my.

I think I'm going to have a heart attack.

Seriously. My fingers are tingling.

UPDATE: Took a few more over the weekend. All negative. Bought some more last night. Took one last night. Negative. Took one this morning. Very positive. Took another one this morning, negative.

I'm starting to think I'm pregnant but very early? But, I would think with a positive Friday afternoon that I would definitely be getting positives the following Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning????

Edited by staceyobu

I'd wait a couple of days before trying another test.

I agree (though it would be nearly impossible for me to take that advice!).

I haven't started cycles back since having the last one. She still nurses a lot.

I would be amazed if you conceived in this case. It's definitely not impossible, of course, but you'd have to overcome some pretty high odds!

I hope it works out for you (however you want it to) :grouphug:

I would be amazed if you conceived in this case. It's definitely not impossible, of course, but you'd have to overcome some pretty high odds!

:grouphug:

I know, huh? However, I do have three five and under (barely five). So, our odds may be higher than average...

I've just never had a positive pregnancy test that didn't result in a bouncing baby nine months later.

I've heard negatives are more often wrong than positives. Is it possible you didn't wait long enough for the second test to be accurate? I'm talking about the build-up of the hormones in your urine. If it's early, that's important.

Either way, :grouphug::grouphug: My surprise pregnancy child is 12 today. I still remember how sad I was that my oldest was still such a baby (9 mos. old). I felt that I wouldn't be able to enjoy him. I was wrong, and she has been such a joy and a blessing. I wouldn't change a thing.

Heh.

I got pregnant while nursing three month old twins-nursing exclusively.

I'm betting it's a false negative. I had a OB nurse tell me the faintest blue line is a positive.

I was in that situation some thirteen years ago. :D It took me a really long time to realize it's not only "theoretically" possible, but that it actually happens. The girls are less than a full year apart. :)

In any case, :grouphug:.

I had a false positive. I went the same day for a blood test and it was negative. It IS possible.

Dark line or barely there? Did they say what caused it? I was under the impression that a false positive is impossible unless you are taking certain hormone based drugs or you are misinterpreting the evaporation line. :confused: Inquiring minds...

Barb

All of my home tests were always false readings - either false positives that got my hopes up during fertility treatments or negatives when the blood tests said I was pregnant. Very confusing and to the point where I just stopped checking at home and went straight to the doctor.

By the way, my ds4 was brought about while nursing exclusively his sister. :)

Edited by iquilt
forgot something

Okay. Went out and bought three more tests. Took two... both negative. Saving one for the morning. Sigh. I'd be okay with another baby... but very freaked out at having four under the age of five.

On the one that tested positive, it is a definite positive line. Not one that you can only barely see. Hmmm.

Okay, What little I know, it is possible to have both false negs and false pos. Tests have varying degrees of sensitivities. If you used 2 different tests, one might have been more sensitive than the other. First morning contains more hormone. But, the doc's office told me they needed 4 hours between bathroom breaks for an early dip stick test to be really accurate. Could the others be negative because you were drinking a lot or not waiting long enough? Why not just go get a blood test?

Oh, I hate that agony of wondering. Been there, done that. There's really no definitive answer we can give you. Either wait and test again (waiting a couple more days is a good idea, if you can stand it!) or have the doctor do a blood test, but then you have to wait for the results anyway!

I got pregnant with #2 before having a period:) I knew that I'd just ovulated, though, for the first time since DD had been been born, so it wasn't a complete surprise.

Very early in the pregnancy the hormone that triggers the pregnancy test HCG (I believe) is present in very small amounts and is more concentrated in the morning because it had a chance to build up in your bladder over night so a test taken early in the day is more accurate than one taken later in the day especially early on. If you took the first test and got a definite postive and then took the second one and got a negative it is possible that there was no longer enough of the hormone present to trigger the second test and then if you took more the same day it would be the same. The would not have been enough time for enough hormone to build up to trigger the test. It is more likely that the positive is correct especially since it was taken first. Most people would not have even taken a second test and would therefore have no reason to doubt the veracity of the first test. False negative are far more common than false positive. And yes, getting pregnant while nursing is both possible and common. Half of my children were conceived while I was still nursing the previous child. My guess is that when you take the other one in the morning you will get another positive. :grouphug:

When I got pregnant with #3, I tested positive (but very faint), and the blood test at the doctor was negative (I had symptoms of a UTI so I was at the doctor anyway, so I asked for a blood test). I figured something was wrong with the hpt, but when I still hadn't gotten a period a week or so later, I tested again and got a nice dark positive. It was just SO early when I first tested.

BTW, I used to buy 15-20 tests at a time off of the internet for less than $1 each. That way I could test as much as I wanted to! Be careful if you do this though; some give pretty dark evaporation lines (only read them within the specified time limit).

Now I've been charting so I will know if I need to test, so I don't keep a stockpile of tests around anymore. I have 1 dollar store test waiting if I need it.

No, not really. I had 4 in 5 years....

And my SIL is pregnant with her 2nd while her baby is only 8 months (and still nurses - no bottles.)

I once gave myself a heart attack, because I bought one of those plus sign/minus sign tests without realizing it. In that case 2 lines meant negative, because they still put a seperate control line. In all of my many years of peeing on sticks, I had always known 1 line=neg, 2 lines=pos. I don't know what finally made me realize my mistake, but it took a full day for my heart to stop racing!

Dark line or barely there? Did they say what caused it? I was under the impression that a false positive is impossible unless you are taking certain hormone based drugs or you are misinterpreting the evaporation line. :confused: Inquiring minds...

Barb

I had one. I found out few months later that a batch of the brand I was using for testing was recalled. This was almost 10 years ago so the brand probably won't matter much today.

It IS possible to get pregnant before you get a period and while exclusively nursing. Ask me how I know. . .

:iagree::iagree: And if you do end up with a bunch of young kids..........it's not completely the end of the world :D It will feel like it for a couple of years, but it does get better....I need to fix the ages in my siggy - the youngest three are now 4, almost 3 and almost 2 - now that the baby is 2, I think we're starting to turn the corner on mommy-going-insane :D:D:D

:iagree::iagree: And if you do end up with a bunch of young kids..........it's not completely the end of the world

Yes! I love that my kids are close in age. For every challenge, there's many positives, imo. In fact, some days just having the youngest two so far apart in age seems rougher to me at times.:)

If I were you I'd get a blood test. It is possible to get pregnant while nursing. It happen to me twice. That's how I have 8yo, 7yo, and 5 1/2 yo.

Believe me it was a big surprise! Especially the 5 1/2 yo because I never got my period back and dd loved to nurse. Also, you need to find out ASAP because DRs do not recommend nursing while pregnant. Just an FYI.

Trust me you can survive having lots of children close in age! Right now I have 5 at home. dd8, dd7, ds5 and twin boy almost 2yo.:tongue_smilie:

Jenny

Also, you need to find out ASAP because DRs do not recommend nursing while pregnant. Just an FYI.

There's only a medical reason to stop bfing if you are at HIGH risk of a m/c, usually if you are actively bleeding or otherwise in threatened miscarriage. (And then you couldn't have sex either, as that also causes uterine contraction just like breastfeeding.) And even that is iffy. Most mothers can breastfeed with no medical issues whatsoever while pregnant. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/01safety.html

"

Miscarriage/Preterm Labor Risks

This is a common worry, but it does not appear to have a strong foundation. A recent review of research on the pregnant uterus reveals that there is actually no theoretical basis for the common concern that breastfeeding can lead to miscarriage or preterm labor in healthy pregnancies. Instead the uterus has many safeguards preventing a strong reaction to the oxytocin that breastfeeding releases.

Interestingly, experts on miscarriage and preterm labor are not among those who see a potential link between breastfeeding and these pregnancy complications. Miscarriage expert Lesley Regan, PhD, MD, quoted in Adventures in Tandem Nursing, saw no reason that breastfeeding should impact pregnancy, even if the mother has a history of miscarriage or is experiencing a threatened miscarriage."

I'm breastfeeding my second while pregnant with my third. :thumbup1:

OP, let us know what happens this morning!! False negatives are pretty common since the sensitivity of tests and the amount of hcg at different times of day vary widely.

Took a test this morning... NEGATIVE. Funny thing, I *wanted* it to be negative. But, now I feel sorta disappointed.

I don't have an ob here... so I can't just call mine up and run in for a blood test. And it's Saturday, lol! I guess I might try to find an ob. I may test again in the morning just so I can feel more confident.

Oh, and breastfeeding while pregnant is okay. I nursed through part of my last pregnancy.

How about this for a twist.... I had a faint line with my daughter and then several negatives then a faint line. Went to get a blood test....DEF. positive and the numbers were really high. I was carrying twins until I miscarried one. My ob at the time said that some women test negative on girl babies. I was one of them. My boys were def. positive on the home test. Also the ectopic pregnancy home test were all negative so we believe the ectopic baby was a girl. (we lost the baby too)

So I wonder if you have any girls and this happened to you before?? Just a thought.

Holly

Took a test this morning... NEGATIVE. Funny thing, I *wanted* it to be negative. But, now I feel sorta disappointed.

I don't have an ob here... so I can't just call mine up and run in for a blood test. And it's Saturday, lol! I guess I might try to find an ob. I may test again in the morning just so I can feel more confident.

Oh, and breastfeeding while pregnant is okay. I nursed through part of my last pregnancy.

:grouphug: Praying for you.

I have been in that situation. Took a test. Wanted it to be negative. Then I actually cried when it was :(

How about this for a twist.... I had a faint line with my daughter and then several negatives then a faint line. Went to get a blood test....DEF. positive and the numbers were really high. I was carrying twins until I miscarried one. My ob at the time said that some women test negative on girl babies. I was one of them. My boys were def. positive on the home test. Also the ectopic pregnancy home test were all negative so we believe the ectopic baby was a girl. (we lost the baby too)

So I wonder if you have any girls and this happened to you before?? Just a thought.

Holly

I had one false negative (and then a HUGE positive the next day, because I was like 6 weeks preggo) with dd. All positive with next dd. Both positive this time, but only 6 weeks so I have no idea what gender :D

Holly

That's interesting - I had wondered if that could be true because I never had a positive urine test with my two dds (14 & 16), but with my dss (12 & 8), I did. I lost a little girl last year at twenty weeks. I got a positive right away with her; I thought maybe the tests were more sensitive now.

Thanks for sharing,

Melissa

:grouphug: btdt. It's funny, but it's very seldom, imo, that a negative is a completely happy thing. There's always that twinge of regret :(

One other idea. I forgot when I posted earlier that I had this happen to me years ago. At that time I decided I had detected a very early pregnancy that went on to miscarry. Apparently it happens quite a bit that a pregnancy doesn't take properly, but now we catch it more often because of the sensitivity of the tests.

Was wondering how you are doing today?

Barb