Menu

Omnibus questions

I am looking at several curriculum choices, including Omnibus. I've read some old threads but still want to put my own questions here. Forgive me for repeating old questions!

1. If your child only did Omnibus 1, 2, and 3 for 9th, 10, and 11th grades, would you be happy with that? Do you think it's sufficient for a high school sweep of world history?

2.Is it okay to call Omnibus 3 "World and US History?" Do you have any suggestions for what to call it? Do you need to supplement it to truly give it a US History label? (I live in a state that wants to see World Geography, World History, US History, US Govt & Econ. My dc haved already done the geography part.)

3. I don't know if we'll be in a position to take these classes online with Veritas. How doable is it with just the materials? How doable is the writing component? Should that be outsourced?

4. How does Omnibus compare with TPS courses? Do you think there is a significant advantage to the Veritas classes meeting twice a week online as opposed to TPS classes meeting once a week?

I can't think of anything else at the moment. Thanks for your input!

My ds16 is in 10th and he is taking Omnibus IV (new this year). They are adding V for next year and I am assuming VI for the year after. IV, V and VI still follow the same time periods of ancient, medieval and modern (American), but is more geared for 10th, 11th and 12th than I (7th), II (8th) and III (9th). You could still do I, II and III, of course. It just won't be as challenging as the new series.

We have never done any other program, and I have never taught them personally, as ds was in school when he did I and II, and has done III and now IV with Veritas Scholars online, so I can't really answer your other questions.

I would say that when considering cost, remember that Omnibus is really 3 classes in one; history, literature and theology (Bible). You can also buy the curriculum used and then sell it when you are finished. My son won't let me sell his Omn III book because he says it's such a good reference! The teachers are also excellent; at least in our experience they have been.

Hope this is some help!

I am looking at several curriculum choices, including Omnibus. I've read some old threads but still want to put my own questions here. Forgive me for repeating old questions!

1. If your child only did Omnibus 1, 2, and 3 for 9th, 10, and 11th grades, would you be happy with that? Do you think it's sufficient for a high school sweep of world history?

Wwe supplemented with Spielvogels World History. Omnibus has them reading a few pages of Spielvogel, but I thought we needed more of the big picture. yes, I feel my son has a great scope of hitory

2.Is it okay to call Omnibus 3 "World and US History?" Do you have any suggestions for what to call it? Do you need to supplement it to truly give it a US History label? (I live in a state that wants to see World Geography, World History, US History, US Govt & Econ. My dc haved already done the geography part.)

I did supplement with Bennett's "America The LAst Best Hope" BUt I don't know if I needed to. It was alomst too much. Omnibus does a great job on its own. If I did it again we would just read "America The LAst Best Hope" asa supplement and not do activities

3. I don't know if we'll be in a position to take these classes online with Veritas. How doable is it with just the materials? How doable is the writing component? Should that be outsourced?

Very doable. THe teacher's cd is very helpful.4.

How does Omnibus compare with TPS courses? Do you think there is a significant advantage to the Veritas classes meeting twice a week online as opposed to TPS classes meeting once a week?

I can't think of anything else at the moment. Thanks for your input!

We enjoyed doing Omnibus. I think it is a good choice.

We did I and II with tweaking for 9th and 10th grade.

I would recommend doing a little more reading in Spielvogel than is rec'd in Omnibus for a bigger picture. Veritas assumes the child has done pretty deep history in the younger grades, and so the history comes from the assigned primary sources and the GB's of that time period. THat's an excellent way to learn history, to be sure, but it is helpful to supplement a little if the foundation is not strong.

You could have your child do a little extra reading and write a paper(see WTM) and give credit for a semester of Government.

When we did 20th century history (not with Omnibus, but still a world history course vs a strictly American one) I called it American History in a World Context.