Menu

BJU Spanish without the DVD's?

Well, I do have an extensive Spanish background, but I still really liked using the DVDs with Spanish I and II by BJU. The DVDs are not perfect . . .out of every class time, there is a good 5-10 minutes of fluff . . . but they are very well done overall, and a great resource for teaching traditional Spanish (ie, a combination of vocab, grammar, and oral skills).

HTH. :)

I had two years of Spanish in high school, but I don't think I could do Spanish 1 AND 2 without the DVD's. I'd probably have a hard time doing even just the Spanish 1. I know I couldn't teach Spanish 2.

My dd and I are taking the class together so that I can learn along with her and we can practice with each other. I can honestly say that I've learned more in one semester with BJU Spanish than I can ever remember learning in the two years that I took it in high school.

As the previous poster said, there is some fluff. However, the teacher has a way of going over things and making them very understandable. He doesn't rush through the material, and he spends time reviewing and explaining things that otherwise might be hard.

Are we the only ones who LIKE the fluff? I mean, sometimes it makes us laugh. Most of the time we push fast forward and enjoy the extra free time it gives us in our day!:D

We don't mind it. Our current DVD player doesn't fast forward, so we sit through the entire 45 minutes, fluff and all.

We usually watch Spanish first, so we're not usually as awake and aware as we might be at a later time of day. The fluff is nice. It gives me a chance to run and get more coffee or dd time to process the lesson. I also think that an occasional moment of silliness makes the lessons more memorable.

OTOH, dd is doing Physical Science this year with Mr. Harmon. He is more like a bullet being launched out of the chamber. He sometimes goes a bit too fast and has no time for fluff. We still enjoy him, but I know dd sometimes wishes he would slow down just a bit.