Menu

Great Books Program for Adults?

Now that I'm wrapping up my homeschool journey, I would like to do more self-study. Are there any programs out there for Adults to study the Great Books? I don't want to move to Annapolis to get a Master's degree from St Johns. But I would like a formal program. Is there anything similar that's available from a distance? I've seen some Master of Liberal Arts programs at the universities in our area. They are all design-your-own programs. If I were going to do something solo, I would probably prefer to just to TOG or something similar on my own.

Maybe I was just born out of time. I need a Great Books discussion group to be a part of.

Guest luketia

Here are some possibilities to explore.

There may be a Great Books group with the Great Books Foundation near you. Search at www.greatbooks.org

Flavell International University and Harrison Middleton University offer online Great Books programs and degrees.

The Great Books Academy has a four year great books program which they allow adults to enroll in (and for less than $1000 a year).

Unfortunately for myself, they have their online discussion on Fridays during work hours, but maybe that's not a conflict for you.

http://www.academybookstore.org/GBAStore/Categories.bok?category=GREAT+BOOKS+PROGRAM\%3A+NON+COLLEGE+CREDITS

Good luck! I want what you are looking for too. It's difficult to find time, but it'll be worth it.

I found exactly what I want... but it's in Chicago. The basic program of Liberal Education for Adults at the University of Chicago. It looks perfect! But I don't really want to move to Chicago.

https://grahamschool.uchicago.edu/php/basicprogram/

Thanks for the recommendation, Luketia. I went through the Great Books Foundation website and didn't see any mention of courses for adults. Even if they accepted adults in the course, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a class with 9th-12th graders. I would hesitate to participate because it would be too easy for me to dominate the class. I might be better off just following a high school course of study on my own.

Still searching for a Basic Program like Chicago's that I can take online. It doesn't look like there's anything in NC that will work for me.