Menu

Which is less rigorous? BJU or Apologia Biology?

I would suggest ACE Biology PACEs, along with their lab DVDs. From what I can see, it is a much more enjoyable course. If you have money to spend, get the complete course on DVD; it is like a National Geographic show. Wonderful filming/camera work. You can check out samples of the PACEs and DVDs at this blog:

http://rockinhsmom5.blogspot.com/search/label/Science%20Samples

Just scroll down until you find the Biology samples. The DVD samples are right below the PACE samples.

ETA: Forgot to say, I had a ds that did BJU Biology and a dd that did Apologia. They were both pretty tough courses, but as for one being more rigorous than the other? It pretty much came down to taste in style: ds liked the style BJU presented and the text, whereas dd didn't care for BJU's textbook-y style but really liked the chatty Apologia, which btw, ds did not like, LOL.

Edited by Katia

Agreeing that it is mostly a difference in style. My dd could not stand the non textbooky, conversationally tone of Apologia. She loved BJU which is morel ike a standard science text.

The one thing that Apologia Biology is lacking is a human anatomy section. They have it separated out into another class. It is included as part of regular biology in BJU.

Agreeing that it is mostly a difference in style. My dd could not stand the non textbooky, conversationally tone of Apologia. She loved BJU which is morel ike a standard science text.

The one thing that Apologia Biology is lacking is a human anatomy section. They have it separated out into another class. It is included as part of regular biology in BJU.

Did you use the DVD's for BJU not the lab ones but the ones from BJU?

Does ACE have human anatomy?

Yes. Here are the main/basic contents of each PACE:

Pace 1097:

Birds

Pace 1098:

Mammals

Pace 1099:

Fish, Amphibians, and Reptiles

Pace 1100:

Sponges, Coelenterates, Mollusks, and Echinoderms

Pace 1101:

Worms and arthropods

Pace 1102:

Plants

Pace 1103:

Microorganisms

Pace 1104:

Man - skin, skeleton, and muscles

Pace 1105:

Man - nerves, circulation, and respiration

Pace 1106:

Man - nutrition and growth

Pace 1107:

Man - reproduction, genetics, and embryology

Pace 1108:

Ecology and conservation

If I had it to do over....(isn't hind-sight wonderful?)....I would have my non-science dds do this course.

Yes. Here are the main/basic contents of each PACE:

Pace 1097:

Birds

Pace 1098:

Mammals

Pace 1099:

Fish, Amphibians, and Reptiles

Pace 1100:

Sponges, Coelenterates, Mollusks, and Echinoderms

Pace 1101:

Worms and arthropods

Pace 1102:

Plants

Pace 1103:

Microorganisms

Pace 1104:

Man - skin, skeleton, and muscles

Pace 1105:

Man - nerves, circulation, and respiration

Pace 1106:

Man - nutrition and growth

Pace 1107:

Man - reproduction, genetics, and embryology

Pace 1108:

Ecology and conservation

If I had it to do over....(isn't hind-sight wonderful?)....I would have my non-science dds do this course.

It looks good!

Okay, sorry to hijack! But here's a question, ladies: If I planned on my dd taking another biology course in high school--say AP Bio--would it matter whether I went with Apologia or ACE for her first course next year, do you think? I love the idea of those DVD's and the paces, but my dd loves the idea of doing real experiments, and I think she'd also like the conversational style of Apologia. I'm also wondering how much time it takes approximately to do Apologia every day versus ACE Biology?

Thanks for any input! :001_smile:

Comparing Apologia to public school bio class--Apologia is not rigorous. Most of the experiments are middle school level. My son in public school middle did about half of them, including extracting the DNA. Still, doesn't mean it's not a good course. I do wish they'd include decent lab write-ups, tho, as a requirement.

Haven't seen BJU.

Comparing Apologia to public school bio class--Apologia is not rigorous. Most of the experiments are middle school level. My son in public school middle did about half of them, including extracting the DNA. Still, doesn't mean it's not a good course. I do wish they'd include decent lab write-ups, tho, as a requirement.

Haven't seen BJU.

Agreeing on the lame labs and lack of decent lab writeup instruction. :glare:

"Agreeing that it is mostly a difference in style. My dd could not stand the non textbooky, conversationally tone of Apologia. She loved BJU which is more like a standard science text.

The one thing that Apologia Biology is lacking is a human anatomy section. They have it separated out into another class. It is included as part of regular biology in BJU."

My dd felt just like Lolly's - didn't like the style of Apologia's text, likes BJU. She just started using BJU with the DIVE CD and it's going very well. We'll do some real life labs, too, mainly dissections. BJU looks to be much more rigorous than what I had in PS, but that was in the 80s. For instance, I don't remember nearly as much chemistry in my bio class. I agree, too, re: lack of human anatomy in Apologia. My dd is very interested in anatomy, but I don't think she needs a whole year of it (i.e. Apologia advanced bio). So, we're actually designing a 1.5 year course: BJU bio up to the human anatomy portion, then psychology, then the anatomy part of BJU with some other texts (living books plus another anatomy book).