Menu

Chalk dust question - Alg I/II

How many problems do you assign from each section? We started out doing the odds, then I read that most do every fourth. That still seem excessive - 50-60 problems a day?

I feel like the boys (one in Alg I and the other in Alg II) are doing very well with Chalk dust but on average it takes almost 2-3 days per section.

Day one Lecture and go over the examples in text book (with younger son - 8th grade), and older son does on own (11th grade).

day 2-3 Problems form the book.

I was talking to the kids piano teacher today - and he said he did not remember having more than 20-30 problems for home work. So I was wondering if perhaps assigning 5 or so problems randomly from each section would be okay.

Then we can use the other problems for extra practice if needed. I think 5 problems might be okay in most cases for my boys.

They do ALL the problems on the mid chapter quizzes and tests..

Thank you in advance for your advice...

He usually spends 2 days per section, 1 day for the mid-chapter quiz, 2 days for the review section, and 1 day for the test. On the days that start a new section, he watches the video and does some problems, maybe 1-30 every other odd. The next day he finishes the problems (every other odd).

I tried to do all of the odds but it was just too many. I always keep up with what he is doing and will assign all the odds if he is not getting a certain type of problem. I also make sure he understands the word problems thoroughly.

This pace works well for us and we should finish the entire book on time.

I'm on my third child with Chalkdust, and we are doing Albebra I the same way as you do.

- Day 1: Watch DVD, read section, do Integrated Review. The IR could be skipped if you have a strong math student, but mine needs the extra practice.

- Days 2-3: Do every fourth problem - 1, 5, 9, 13, etc.

- Mid-Chapter quizzes: One day each, every problem.

- Chapter Reviews: Two days each, every fourth problem.

- Chapter and Cumulative Tests: One day each, every problem.

We are taking it at a steady, but not accelerated pace. Ds works about an hour a day during the school year. He also does math a couple of hours a week in the summer. At this pace, it takes slightly over a school year to finish a book. If your child can do CD faster, go for it!

It sounds as if you are doing fine!

GardenMom