Menu

A couple of questions about logic stage history the WTM way

Oak Knoll Mom

I'm currently working through the logic stage history section in the WTM in preparation for my son starting 5th grade next year and have a few questions.

1. The book says the child should read a section of the spine, list 6-8 interesting facts, do outside reading, write a summary, and make and outline. The spine we are going to use will require him to read four pages each week. That will cover two topics. Should I have him go through the reading/writing process for both topics? Or have him read them both, then pick one for his reading and writing?

2. I'm going to have him create a short biography page for each of the Great Men and Women listed in the WTM as we come to them. What info should I have him list? Birth? Death? What else? I want this to be short because he will be doing lots of other writing.

TIA!

I would only have him do one topic per week. I would let him list 3-5 interesting facts about the person.

:iagree:

We haven't hit the logis stage yet, but this, in addition to the outside reading, seems like what I would have my kids do. Maybe even choose a number of people over the year to research more in depth.

:iagree:

We haven't hit the logis stage yet, but this, in addition to the outside reading, seems like what I would have my kids do. Maybe even choose a number of people over the year to research more in depth.

I plan to require him to pick at least X number of people to study in depth, but I also want him to at least acknowledge all the other famous people on the list. :D I'm thinking, at a minimum, date & place of birth & death and what he/she is most famous for.

We always did this with our science studies. I'm make up a sheet of paper labeled with the century (or for more modern times I'd reduce this to half a century or even to decades). My son would add each scientist he read about to the appropriate page. For review, we could lay out all the pages in order and you'd have a timeline (which could also easily be kept stored in our notebook when not in use). You could easily do this for any famous person you study, too.