Menu

TOG question

We do our discussion in a co-op with 5-8 students, so this may or may not help, but we set aside 1.5 hr for history, 1.5-2 hr for church history/philosophy/government, and 1.5 hr for literature each week. I assume it would be slightly less if it were just me and my dc.

Hello ABQMom!

WE are doing year 4 R level this year, and we are part of an on-line co-op. We spend around 2 hours a week on history and about the same on literature. Some weeks only take about 1.5 hours and some weeks we wish we had more time (the students tend to get a little punchy by the end of both sessions!). I actually find that the co-op helps us get through things faster - a few years ago when we were doing this on our own (mom and two young teen sons) we tended to get bogged down in the discussions. I think I could do them just fine with only my own students now, but at the beginning it was rough. If you have quetions about that or anything else TOG related, ask away!

Blessings,

April

I guess I had the idea that we could have one discussion a week, but your responses make me think that's not right. Would we need to schedule 2 different discussion periods at home during the week? I guess the discussions take longer than I was thinking they would.

I only have my two sons for discussion: one 9th grade rhetoric and 7th grade dialectic. I would guess that our history discussion typically take an hour. I start out with the dialectic questions. Many times, I then dismiss the 7th grader if we have topics he doesn't have. I often do church history at the end of the book. My 9th grader is doing some of the rhetoric church history, but I have both read a biography: sometimes dialectic level, sometimes rhetoric. This is just gravy. I don't grade the questions and often give them all the questions for the book up front and say we will dicuss it in 2 or 3 weeks: whatever the time frame is. I often choose to do literature discussion on its own day as well. I really have to study for that one. I just have it with my rhetoric son.

Christine

I only have my two sons for discussion: one 9th grade rhetoric and 7th grade dialectic. I would guess that our history discussion typically take an hour. I start out with the dialectic questions. Many times, I then dismiss the 7th grader if we have topics he doesn't have. I often do church history at the end of the book. My 9th grader is doing some of the rhetoric church history, but I have both read a biography: sometimes dialectic level, sometimes rhetoric. This is just gravy. I don't grade the questions and often give them all the questions for the book up front and say we will dicuss it in 2 or 3 weeks: whatever the time frame is. I often choose to do literature discussion on its own day as well. I really have to study for that one. I just have it with my rhetoric son.

Christine

Okay, this helps me. I think what you've described is more of what I was picturing would happen here. I will also have a seventh grader next year (along with my 9th grader).