Menu

Online Rhetoric Course : Could you please recommend one? Here are some of the choices

- 1. Memoria Press Online Academy's Classical Rhetoric Course using Cothran's Text, Aristotle's Book, HTRAB by Adler, and Figures of Speech by Quinn - One semester course

2. Veritas Press Online's year long course using "Ancient Rhetoric for Contemporary Students" by Sharon Cowley

Here is ds' background in Language Arts : Currently working on AP Language and Composition with a local teacher using Prose Models by Gerald Levin. It is mostly an exam prep class. He is doing very well with it. Teacher expects him to get a 4 or 5.

He has also done some logic study using Art of Argument and Argument Builder at home. He has read through Fallacy Detective and worked through Traditional Logic I a couple of years ago. Language arts is not my forte.

Thanks for any input.

Nissi

My ds16 is taking rhetoric I online with Veritas Online Scholars. He says it is one of his favorite classes. He loves the teacher and the text they are using.

You didn't say how old your ds was. This is a high school level course.

He is also taking Logic II. He should have taken it last year but the class was cancelled, so he's having to take it at the same time as rhetoric. Normally they finish logic before moving on to rhetoric. He's handling both well, though.

Is there anything specific you want to know? We are actually taking 7 classes from Veritas this year.

We took 3 on-line classes with VP this year (currently) and are only looking at the Rhetoric next year with them.....

The course description doesn't tell me a lot.....

What actually DO they do? When I hear "rhetoric" I think of "speech" class? I know it must be more than that ~

On a learning curve (for upcoming junior)

Debbie

When ds is finished with classes today I will ask him how he would best describe his experiences in the class.

I do know that since taking logic and rhetoric he will watch news commentaries, read editorials, etc. and pick them apart, point out the mistakes they are making in trying to get their point across, tell you what type of argument they are using, the techniques they are using in trying to manipulate the listener/reader, etc. Teenagers think they know everything anyway and this has helped him focus those argumentative tendencies in a positive, constructive direction!