Menu

Bringing kids home from PS

Any advice for my girlfriend? She has recently brought her 3 kiddos home from school. They are in 4th, 2nd, and K. She is still a bit overwhelmed and could use some sound advice from the hive...especially from those that have "been there, done that."

Some background...she was happy with the school, teachers but missed her kids. No bad public school experience.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm hard pressed in providing any usable tips as I've always homeschooled mine and I'm guessing some of her issues stem from pulling them out of school and the major adjustments stemming from that.

Thank you in advance!

Julie in Monterey

I used to live in that area. Monterey County has a great "home charter program" (or at least used to). It's a program through the public school system to help homeschooling families (if they want). We did it during my son's K year. The best things about it for me were firstly that when I had no clue where to start, I had a "teacher" assigned to me who brought out to the house books and books and more books! All kinds of things to try and start with. It was nice to discuss it with her too. Additionally, they had all kinds of short term classes and groups to get involved with - art classes, science fairs, science classes, writing groups, etc. This helped us meet some other homeschooling families, and allowed my son to try out a bunch of different things for fun. They also have a "resource room" where you can go use their county teacher resources like industrial type "die cutters" for art projects, and such.

Anyway, I would suggest to her to google it and call someone for more info.

Also, i know a lot of homeschoolers don't like the PS involved in their business, but I think this was a nice place to start for us. Eventually I wanted more control over my own schedule and separated from that program (and we moved).

Just an idea...

Good luck to her!

- Stacey in MA

I pulled mine out of PS 3 years ago. The best advice I can give is to take a decompression break for a while. Take a month of just being together, and choose just a few things to concentrate on (her kids are still young - they won't be missing much). What is important to her and their schooling philosophy? Maybe just do read alouds, art, music appreciation, and play board games and card games for a while. Set a date for "school" to begin, but learn how to all be together without the pressure of getting work done on top of it.

Even though her ps experience was positive, the dynamic will still shift in the house with them all being home!

I would probably unschool for the first three to six months. I think one of the biggest stresses on new hs moms is that they tend to think they have to make school at home just public school but in a house. The beauty of hs is that you can do it the way that works for your family. I would take a break, take a vacation, take some time to sort out exactly what your goals are for curriculum and learning, and discuss it with the children. Make them a part of the whole thing. Then, when they have had some real good time together to play, make some memories and enjoy their freedom from the system, then begin to creat their own routine. In other words, TAKE IT EASY. Let it be the total paradigm shift that it really is, and enjoy it.

I brought my dd home for second grade. I found it fairly easy to start some schooling because she was used to being in school. I didn't even know what to buy. I had a math curriculum and I bought some workbooks and got started. I also found the WTM :) . Get lots of books, go on field trips, enjoy learning together. She'll grow into the teaching as the year goes on. Her kids are young. It's a great time to get started. :grouphug:

It will take a few months for the kids to figure out that they're not is a ps classroom. Our first day of homeschooling, I asked my son to write a sentence (ANY sentence). He threw this pencil, ripped up his paper, threw his body on the floor, screamed, ran to his room and slammed the door.

It's been almost a year now and you would not even recognize him. He was actually in the kitchen a few minutes ago writing narrations on some "battle scenes" he was drawing between giant spiders and dragons.

I think it takes them a while to de-stress and realize that they are on their own academically...there isn't a bunch of other students for them to "blend into the woodwork with". It's scary for them maybe.

I also recommend doing a homeschool group (a relaxed one) where you guys can do Park Day or something.