Menu

Rightstart Math vs Horizons.....

mlgbug

Someone indulge me. its seems rightstart uses more manipulative...is this better? dd 4 is about halfway through with Horizons K math book 1.....

but it seems righstart has games, and more activities...

but we are progressing fine with horizons....

(i love this place :) )

Just wondering if you like to torture yourself with curricula. :confused: :lol:

I love Horizon Math. And if you are looking for more games, I'm sure if you look in the closet or a drawer or on a shelf you will find ones to play. You are welcome to use the world around you to use as manipulatives, rather than purchase additional ones.

Count EVERYTHING.

Create patterns out of anything you have handy. (You can even make necklaces!)

Identify shapes in pictures/real things.

Hopscotch.

Card games.

Board games.

Cut apples/sandwiches in halves, quarters, shapes.

Make roll-out cookies and use shape cookie cutters (works well with numbers and letters, too).

Stop second-guessing everything you are doing. :grouphug:

If you want math games, there is an inexpensive book by Peggy Kaye called Games for Math. It is geared to little kids (K through 3rd I think). I got it used pretty cheap, on Amazon I think. Its $11 new

here's the link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Games-Math-Peggy-Kaye/dp/0394755103/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265597717&sr=8-1

I own the Right Start Games; it was expensive, and we haven't really played them. The curriculum itself is very expensive. If Horizons is working, just add some fun homemade games or these in the Peggy Kaye book. I also have a book called Math for the Very Young that has math type ideas to do with little kids; also pretty inexpensive.