Menu

I need a Spanish Curriculum

Donna T.

Hello! I am looking for a Spanish Curriculum that I can use with both of my sons. We have Rosetta Stone (the Spain version, not the Latin American version) and they like it very much but it moves too quickly. We plan to continue using it but I'd like something else to use on a daily basis. I would like to find something that moves slowly and doesn't frustrate them.

I want something that is very systematic and logical, not something they have to figure out on their own (like Rosetta Stone - atleast that's how it feels to us). I have no previous instruction in Spanish and will be learning alongside them.

My oldest is doing great with Koine Greek. I haven't ruled out teaching Latin and may add that after we get a good strong start in Spanish. I have purchased Getting Started With Spanish and plan to go through that myself.

I am considering Spanish for Children.

Thanks for any feedback!

Edited by Donna T.

• 3 weeks later...

OP, you didn't say how old your kids are. But I'll give my usual plug for Elementary Spanish on United Streaming and Dish Network. And be sure to look at this chart. For older kids, some of us are using So You Really Want to Learn Spanish. (It's a junior high book, for sure. And I think it's best if you have some access to a Spanish speaking person.) And I just started this book yesterday. I like it so far. It's also a junior-high level book. I've also been using Coffee Break Spanish for a while. I like it a lot. But it's intended for adults. It's free, and it's in the same listen-and-repeat format as Pimsleur. Also, check your library for free programs. And check this board. We've discussed this a lot.

Thanks so much to all of you who shared your feedback. We have recently started Getting Started With Spanish. I like it very much but it is just a beginning course. I think it will be a great benefit to us as we have no background in Spanish at all and it really breaks it down very clearly. I think after we work through this Rosetta Stone will make alot more sense to us.

My sons are 10 and 7.

I agree my kids really like this program and they are actually learning to speak the language.

They offer some Free lessons.

http://www.learnspanishtoday.com/cmd.php?af=1143604

I am wondering the length of use for users of this program? Have you used this program for over 6 months and still like it? Does the program also teach grammar elements or is it completely immersion style?

I appreciate your help:)

I am wondering the length of use for users of this program? Have you used this program for over 6 months and still like it? Does the program also teach grammar elements or is it completely immersion style?

I appreciate your help:)

We got this for my dd when she was 10, and has used this off and on since, and still thinks it's the best one. It is interactive, and works on word usage. It is NOT total immersion. I haven't really done it with her, so that's all I know, but it uses fun characters, and little quizzes that work on what they've learned, but are interactive still, not boring paperwork.

DD will be going into 9th grade this year, so will be doing the BJU Spanish 1. She will still use this along with the other to make for a fuller program (and not so boring! :001_smile:).

Have you looked at The Easy Spanish. We are using Le Francais Facile and this is the Spanish version. Thus far, I really like it. I took 3 years of French in school and I really like how this program teaches the phonetics of French. I also like that it can be a three year program for my younger while my older does it in two years. :)

I am doing Hooked on Spanish with a 4yo. He loves it and begs to do it daily. I managed to drag out the first level (there are three levels) of 12 lessons for eight weeks. I guess you could get a full school year out of all three levels. We have Hooked on French to do next. I haven't seen the three-level version of Spanish on their website. I hot mine from eBay.

I use this too, for my younger child (6) right now, but it is strictly vocabulary. The CD is interactive and all, but on a very young level. Again, though, it is just straight memorization of common vocabulary.

• 1 month later...
Thanks so much to all of you who shared your feedback. We have recently started Getting Started With Spanish. I like it very much but it is just a beginning course. I think it will be a great benefit to us as we have no background in Spanish at all and it really breaks it down very clearly. I think after we work through this Rosetta Stone will make alot more sense to us.

My sons are 10 and 7.

DD5 is in the middle of Getting Started with Spanish, so I'm also wondering what book to use next. Would love to know what you plan for your sons after GSWS. I was thinking of So You Really Want to Learn Spanish by Galore, before I even consider venturing into Rosetta Stone, which seems to be weak on grammar.

For older kids, some of us are using So You Really Want to Learn Spanish. (It's a junior high book, for sure. And I think it's best if you have some access to a Spanish speaking person.) And I just started this book yesterday.

Thanks for suggesting The Twisted Doors; it looks like fun. Do you think this book can be used along with SYRWTL Spanish 1 or is it more intermediate to be used along with SYRWTL Spanish 2? We are working through Getting Started with Spanish, and will probably use SYRWTL as the next book.

Thanks for suggesting The Twisted Doors; it looks like fun. Do you think this book can be used along with SYRWTL Spanish 1 or is it more intermediate to be used along with SYRWTL Spanish 2? We are working through Getting Started with Spanish, and will probably use SYRWTL as the next book.

We are using it along with SYRWTLS 1, but it's not our first exposure to Spanish.

It's not hard, and you do get a total translation (not just key words) which is a big help to me. But -- and I have this complaint about all my foreign language materials -- it does throw words at you randomly. There are words in each story that you've never seen/heard before. (Example: Lollipop. And, frankly, most of the the words in each story.) There's no way you can make that out but to read the translation and memorize it. I always wish programs would take a more systematic approach to introducing new words and then using the story to review words already presented. But I digress.

We're on chapter 11 now, and we like it. DS is always motivated by a story. (We adore LOF, for instance.) And this one has fairly good support (translation and audio). In my opinion, the audio goes too fast at some points.

I do appreciate that this book asks you to memorize conjugations before continuing. Though it doesn't provide the 2nd person plural as taught in SYRWTLS. I've been able to find those online (just search for "tomar conjugation"), and I'm having DS memorize them as taught in SYRWTLS.