Menu

Literature question....

I am thinking and planning ahead for high school and wondered what the difference is between using the following materials/approaches to literature study.

-Lightening Literature (just read about this product on the boards today??)

-BJU textbook

-Sonlight

I know my dd is not going to do a Great Books study. So now, I am trying to find out what the pros/cons are to each of these approaches.

I am a mom with lots of kids and limited time and ability. I would love to be able to spend time learning/doing the classical approach, but I have come to realize that it ain't gonna happen. Especially with my oldest who doesn't particularly care for history or reading difficult books. I did not go to college or study/read anything remotely close to the Great Books so I feel completely inadequate to help her with this.

Any suggestions for a mom new to the high school thing?

Thanks in advance! :)

Lightning Literature

- 1 semester courses

- read complete works

- fewer works read in a semester

- emphasis on writing

- done mostly solo by the student

- option of Hewitt Homeschooling for syllabus, grading service, other teacher aids

BJU Literature

- 1 year course

- read excerpts, not complete works

- read a variety of works

- textbook based course covering literary analysis

- teacher manual with answers, discussion questions, etc.

Sonlight

- 1 year course

- read complete works

- read large amount of works

- little in the way of lit. guide background, questions, teacher aids

Lightning Literature

- 1 semester courses

- read complete works

- emphasis on writing

- option of Hewitt Homeschooling for syllabus, grading service, other teacher aids

BJU Literature

- 1 year course

Sonlight

- 1 year course

- read complete works

Thank you, Lori...

Lightning Literature

- 1 semester courses

- read complete works

- emphasis on writing

BJU Literature

- 1 year course

Sonlight

- 1 year course

- read complete works

Just wanted to add that BJU Literature is very teacher intensive. Since you have many children this will probably be a big consideration when choosing a literature curriculum.

BJU also focuses more on the authors, their worldviews and how their works reflect them, and the literary movements. My son took an American lit course at our co-op and a former English teacher taught the class. She was great and he learned a lot about what I mentioned, but only read one book the entire year. This year I've put together my own American lit course using Progeny Press guides. They're wonderful and easy to use. I read the books along with him which enriches discussions.

Yolanda

Two other programs that are good introductory literature programs to consider that are done primarily by the student, read whole works, and guide the student through literary analysis or in writing a literary analysis essay are:

- Windows to the World (put out by IEW)

1 semester course. Teaches annotation and great specific instruction in how to write a literary analysis by going in depth on 6 classic short stories.

See it at: http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/ILA-T

See table of contents and sample pages: http://www.christianbook.com/windows-the-world-introduction-literary-analysis/lesha-myers/pd/5007348?item_code=WW&netp_id=523467&event=ESRCN&view=details

- Learning Language Arts Through Literature: Gold: American Literature

1 semester to 1 year program. Covers 10 short stories, 3 novellas, and poems of 10 authors, with a brief amount of instruction, a few comprehension and discussion questions, and ideas for writing assignments. A helpful "general overview" literature course that exposes you to quite a few of the "biggies" in American Literature.

See it at: http://www.commonsensepress.com/gold.htm

See table of contents and sample pages: http://www.christianbook.com/learning-language-through-literature-american-book/greg-strayer/9781880892893/pd/72898?item_code=WW&netp_id=213135&event=ESRCN&view=details

You could use Progeny press Literature guides and create a course which wouldn't be teacher intensive.

http://www.progenypress.com/

A student can do these largely on his/her own, and it includes an answer guide. I like them because it includes comprehension,,analysis and "Dig Deeper" questions (with answers for Mom :001_smile:). It also includes numerous essay questions.

What about My Father’s World? It’s classical and perfect for a lot of children, they help you combine, and then in high school, it’s written to the student and includes Great Books!

LL looks wonderful. Yes, there are so many choices.

You can do this!

:grouphug:

Hmmm....I will have to look at MFW at convention. Can't wait for Cincy!

I also like Excellence in Literature:001_smile: These are done independently.

http://www.everyday-education.com/englishclasses/index.shtml

Have we totally overwhelmed you? It is wonderful to have so many choices!!

Slight hijack. Have you used these? I am thinking of American Literature for my 12th grader next year. I'd love to hear your opinion. Thanks!