Menu

Accredited Online Schools and colleges

Your student will get a much better education if you just choose the materials and resources yourself (and of course follow through :) ). I'm sure there are a few schools who would prefer to see an accredited program, but most college admission people know that decent homeschooling is much better. Penn Foster and American school have NOTHING on a good homeschooling program.

You'll do just fine with the transcript and diploma too :) Go look at the college board. Plenty of success stories.

Do colleges prefer to see an accredited curriculum? Some online schools provide these accreditations, along with transcripts and grades. Do I really need these services or is my parent-designed curriculum sufficient?

I agree w/Pamela. But, some colleges and scholarships are persnickety. Bryn Mawr was not real keen on hsing. And Rotary in our area will not give a scholarship to a hser w/o an accredited backup.

The consensus of those of us who had kids go to college was that an accredited school wasn't needed. There were a few exceptions but it didn't matter to most. None of the ones we looked at cared. By doing your own curriculum you can tailor it to the needs of your child. You do need to be careful and make sure you are getting the basics for what they need. To do that you need to check around to some of the colleges your child may be interested in and see what their admission standards are. That way you can determine what math, english, history and science they need. In the long run, when in doubt check with the colleges but on this I'm pretty sure you can do it yourself.

... some colleges and scholarships are persnickety. Bryn Mawr was not real keen on hsing. ...

My daughter applied to and was accepted by Bryn Mawr last year after having been homeschooled since 7th grade. (This was with a homemade transcript but with a sprinkling of community college classes.) Perhaps things have changed since the experience you mentioned.

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

My daughter applied to and was accepted by Bryn Mawr last year after having been homeschooled since 7th grade. (This was with a homemade transcript but with a sprinkling of community college classes.) Perhaps things have changed since the experience you mentioned.

Regards,

Kareni

Interesting, at her interview, they wanted a bunch of info, which was over and beyond what others want.

Maybe it was just that particular interviewer.