Menu

You guys will appreciate this...

I downloaded a "Latin word a day" application for my iphone. There was a one-star review on the first page of reviews. It said (paraphrasing):

This app is horrible! All of these words are wrong! I should know because I'm Latino and my dad said I needed to learn more Spanish but these words are wrong!

:tongue_smilie:

Why is it that Spanish and Mexican people are referred to as Latins? :confused: I've never understood that.

Mexicans are Spanish and Indian. Technically they have only half of a Latin heritage. They are Latin and Native Americans. Italians are also said to be of a Latin heritage. But while Italians are "Latins", but not "Latinos."

The word "Latin" refer to people and countries of Latin culture and language (Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Romania), while "Latino" actually means "Latin American", and refers to people from Latin America who have Latin blood.

Edited by Parrothead

I downloaded a "Latin word a day" application for my iphone. There was a one-star review on the first page of reviews. It said (paraphrasing):

This app is horrible! All of these words are wrong! I should know because I'm Latino and my dad said I needed to learn more Spanish but these words are wrong!

Ha!!! What's the link??

Oh.

My!

:lol::lol::lol:

Mexicans are Spanish and Indian. Technically they have only half of a Latin heritage. They are Latin and Native Americans. Italians are also said to be of a Latin heritage. But while Italians are "Latins", but not "Latinos."

The word "Latin" refer to people and countries of Latin culture and language (Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Romania), while "Latino" actually means "Latin American", and refers to people from Latin America who have Latin blood.

Thank you for the explanation. I've always wondered that.

Because they come from Latin America? I think it's called Latin America because they speak a variety of romance languages?

Thanks for the explanations! I figured it had to do with speaking romance languages, but I have to admit that I have never heard it applied to the French or Italians. That's why it has always seemed odd to me.

Okay, I feel for the guy.

About two years ago they were having "Latin" cook off at the dental clinic where my husband was stationed. When I heard about it I was completely confused. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how you cook food based on a dead language.

Apparently they meant Latin American food, not food based on Latin.

Opps.