Menu

Bad day...

:lol::lol: When did she write? I'm nearly half a century, and I don't even remember a column, but perhaps it wasn't in our paper. My parents are depression babies (okay, seniors now,) and Erma is or was (not sure if she's still alive) probably older. But I remember the books and have seen them in the library.

Here is the Wikipedia entry for Erma Bombeck. She wrote primarily from the mid-sixties to the mid-nineties. This is one of her better known quotes, "Insanity is hereditary. You can catch it from your kids."

Regards,

Kareni

This thread started while I was in Orlando with my oldest, getting him settled into his new life.

Homeschooling this kid was like pushing a heavy boulder uphill through a deep muddy quagmire. It was exhausting and frustrating to say the least. I am so relieved to be done -- life is much easier now! But even better is that he is a wonderful young man who is successfully launching into his new life. I'm so proud of him and of myself for surviving and persevering.

I never thought homeschooling would make me a better person, but I think my character and knowledge have improved through the years. That which does not kill you makes you stronger, right?!!

I never thought homeschooling would make me a better person, but I think my character and knowledge have improved through the years. That which does not kill you makes you stronger, right?!!

Wow--what an excellent point, Jenn. I have learned so much about my world, my child, my husband and myself the last six years. Homeschooling has indeed been a journey and a blessing!

How did it feel to assist your oldest in settling in? I'm feeling a bit teary eyed myself--having watch this child grow from my cross country perch. Sniff.

Jane

How did it feel to assist your oldest in settling in?

Jane

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, though it was a nostalgia filled ride getting ready to go as he turned 18 the day before we left. I blogged about it, how sending kids off into the world is much like giving birth!

I am too happy and excited for my ds, though, to worry or miss him too much. He is working at the Magic Kingdom, for goodness sake! Mickey Mouse personally delivered his official Disney name tag. How can I feel sorry for him or myself?!

He left his room a disaster area, in spite of my weeks of pestering him to get it tidied up! My son may be gone from the nest, but the dust bunnies live on :lol:

Janice, I'm sorry that the rogue wind has hit your house too.:grouphug: Yesterday morning I was standing at the kitchen sink with my coffee contemplating all that has not gone well with school this year. I stood there for a very long time. Then I realized I had not flipped the perpetual calendar for a few days:

February 5

"A life spent making mistakes

is not only more honorable but

more useful than a life spent

doing nothing."

-George Bernard Shaw

Oddly, I find comfort in this.:D

Take care of yourself. That darn, old rogue wind has to die down sometime.

Thanks for sharing this. Off to write it in my journal and do some reflection to get ready for next week! :)

I haven't read her for years, but I liked her as a teen & before motherhood. I wonder how funny I'd find it now.

Karin, I did pick up one of her books recently and found that I could laugh again. There is a lot of sometimes hard truth about raising families buried in her humor. The first time I reread one of her books, I was in graduate school, working part time, pregnant, and with a toddler in tow. In those days, nothing was funny. Our school is named in Erma Bombeck's honor: Wit's End Academy. Someday I'll get around to doing more with my blog by the same name. Humor is one of the tools I use to stay sane during the high school years.

Karin, I did pick up one of her books recently and found that I could laugh again. Humor is one of the tools I use to stay sane during the high school years.

Yes, I'm trying to use more and more humour. I have a sense of humour, but sometimes it's hard to remember that ;).

KARENI (since I can't multiquote) Thanks! So I was a kid when she started and old enough to be a mother when she quit (but I was not a mother until I was 35).