Menu

Bad day...

Days like today make me want to quit home-schooling.

It's. Just. Too. Much. All the time. Never not that.

But I can't figure out how to quit.

How do you quit in the middle of something.

So I'm stuck continuing.

But on days like today, I can't see the point in continuing.

Which makes me want to quit.

I'm just saying....

Janice

The gal who is staring at one more big, huge boulder. I'm sick of leaning against rocks and getting all sweaty. I. Had. No. Idea. It. Would. Be. THIS. Hard. Really.

:grouphug: Sorry you are having an anti-warm fuzzy day.

I've always thought that we would homeschool all the way through high school. Yesterday I was entertaining thoughts of how to prepare my kids to attend public school. I began pondering whether or not I AM doing the right thing for my kids or if I'm continuing just because I am already down in the rut. Hmm...

My daughter is now mad that I'm "addicted to homeschooling". (Her words) We're reading the Benjamin Franklin book.... and my husband... being an engineer and not the Teacher... said, "She can't make it through that book; I couldn't make it through that book!!) So, now she has an excuse... "How can she read it (even listen to it?) when her dad can't??" I think I'll have "make;-)" him read it with her tonight!!

Sorry... I was hoping that HS would be better. When is it "better??" Maybe when we get g-kids??

Oh yeah. It IS hard.

My week:

1. Sick kids.

2. Dh job "might" be cut. The stress of not knowing is worse than knowing.

3. dd17 has 2 doc appt tomrrow and ds12 i'm sure has a sinus infection and needs to go to doc.

4. in the past 2 weeks i think we've had 3 'good' school days.

5. I've ended up with a terrible tension headache. i wonder why. LOL

Oh yeah..... Feb and March are burn out season.

:grouphug:

. I'm probably just tired of parenting. No chance I'm going to get out of that one, is there. ;)

sigh,

Janice

I'm sorry, Janice, but that made me laugh!

I think at this point I am so sleep deprived that it is either laugh or succumb to complete inertia!

I am really struggling with the whole homeschool thingy.......I have been all yr. Our days are so jammed pack that I feel like all I do is rush from one thing to the next w/o ever being able to appreciate/enjoy/embrace the now.

For example, this was today:

get up at 6 (which was actually over-sleeping), throw in laundry, change diaper, nurse baby while doing school with 1st child (repeat non-stop until 1100).

Leave house at 11:15 to take 2 kids figure skating

Arrive back home at 2:45, nurse baby and change diaper quickly, put her back in car seat and leave at 3:05 to take ds to Math Counts

Drop ds off, go to Costco to do major grocery shopping b/c I am only getting to the store once a wk (and gosh, these kids expect to eat!!) Since we are expecting snow, I finally manage to get out of there after 5!

Go pick up ds and arrive back home at 5:45.

There is never a minute to stop!! And all of that doesn't even address parenting!

I have prayed about this the entire yr and I keep coming back to the same place, homeschooling is the best option we have.

In order to maintain sanity, I have had to let go of my favorite part of homeschooling...........my 11 week summer vacation! I have made the decision to do 1/2 days through the summer so that next yr we can do 1/2 days on skating days so we aren't rushing, rushing, rushing.

I really believe that is the key to continuing homeschooling in an enjoyable way for me (they love homeschooling and don't want any changes) I NEED to be able to have enthusiasm for what our days encompass like I used to when everyone was little. Time is the main factor that has changed. Fewer things/day, enjoying what we are doing w/o thinking about what I need to next, etc. It is the rushing that makes me lose my patience and undermines my parenting overall.

Last week, I suggested to dh that we send our 3 dc to boarding school and start over with new babies.

Parenting is hard!!!!! It sure seemed a lot simpler when they were littler!!

FWIW, dh vetoed me on both counts (boarding school he'd consider, more babies, no way).

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'd vote for a snow *week*. Be sure to go away yourself (to the store if needed. . . but better would be the spa. . .) for a few hours or a day. . . if you can manage it. Some days, I just go out in the yard and hide behind the shed looking at the mountains for a few minutes. . . Some days I do that more than once. . .

I had to ask my dd13 to stop saying, "I hate home schooling." today. I told her it just felt too personal and I needed a break from the sound in my ears.

My dd13 has recently had a mantra of "I hate _______" Fill in the blank with any subject that requires hard work and has deadlines. Most recently, that's been little things. . . like. . . Algebra. . . Writing. . . Spanish . . .

Maybe it is a 13yo thing. But. . . It is . . . Driving. Me. Nuts.

So I'm stuck continuing.

I'm just saying....

Janice

The gal who is staring at one more big, huge boulder. I'm sick of leaning against rocks and getting all sweaty. I. Had. No. Idea. It. Would. Be. THIS. Hard. Really.

Oh my gosh, me too! The other day I wanted to enroll all of the school age kids at PS, and even put the little one in pre-school/daycare. Bad day. It’s all too much at times. Of course, today I feel better…just a little. :001_smile:

Peace to you! Have a good snow day. :D

Edited by lovemykids
TMI ;)

Mine was Tuesday. Had a teen with some angst in the morning and behavioral issues (hiding a bad decision and then lying to avoid the cost) in my 10yo, the culmination of issues that are much more general, and which required me to take serious, albeit painful (to me) parental action. I was feeling weepy into the next day on that one.

I, too, have high standards with school but have found that, as in everything else, the key is balance. I haven't found the balance yet, or at least not consistently, but I am working on it. Sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself, because it is tough on them, doing all this larnin' all the time, but it is tougher on me, because I have the larnin' plus the house plus the parenting issues. It's easy to feel sorry for poor me.

This is the upside: We are all unbelievably close. My son talks to me about things that most parents can only wish their kids would be comfortable to talk about. My daughter, after her crying jag on Tuesday, came to me to say she understood and agreed with my hard parenting decision. They studied biology/life science together for mid-terms yesterday ON THEIR OWN. They hug a lot. We all hug a lot. My daughter and I walked the dogs in the rain in the mid-morning yesterday. My son and I stayed up a little late last night to watch trash TV. I don't have to drive them back and forth to school nor do I have to meet the bus. I don't have to wish their teachers were different, or at least not without setting goals for myself or making changes in my curriculum, because I can.

It's a hard road when they get past grammar school. But it can be a lovely one. I hope tomorrow is better for you.

I get tired of being the 'heavy'. Do your essay, re-do this, finish that, etc.

I'd rather be the hero they come home to after their rough day with public/private school teachers.

My daughter is now mad that I'm "addicted to homeschooling". (Her words) We're reading the Benjamin Franklin book.... and my husband... being an engineer and not the Teacher... said, "She can't make it through that book; I couldn't make it through that book!!) So, now she has an excuse... "How can she read it (even listen to it?) when her dad can't??" I think I'll have "make;-)" him read it with her tonight!!

Sorry... I was hoping that HS would be better. When is it "better??" Maybe when we get g-kids??

"Addicted to homeschooling." LOL. Aren't teens fun? :D I really like your idea of your dh and dd reading Ben Franklin together. My 13 yo has suddenly taken to asking me why I am always asking her about how things are going and wanting to actually see how things are going. She's apparently tired of me meddling in her studies. :001_huh: Perhaps it's that in the teen years, they don't want us so involved with them? Maybe trying to break away some. I dunno. It's hard. I'm really relieved that I signed her up for online Latin this year as well as a lit class this spring. She thrives with online classes. Probably because she's not having to deal with me. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for posting, Janice, and :grouphug: to you!

So I'm stuck continuing.

I'm just saying....

Janice

Janice....I have days like this all the time....actually...life is like this...

BUT, I have to just keep going...one day at a time. And if I have to do it, I maight as well try to do it with a smile on my face. Hard~!!! Sometimes, i just want to yell: I QUIT!!!!! But no one here will let me quit.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

Make yourself a cup of tea, eat some chocolate and tell those kids to suck it up and do their work or you will personally eat their dessert!

~~Faithe

<snip>

Some days, the only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that if they were in an institutional school, it would be even worse -- some different issues, some similar issues, but all worse. I know that's true because it was when they were in school in the early years.

Karen

So I'm stuck continuing.

I'm just saying....

Janice

I've not had a bad homeschooling day in a long time. Why? I've two kids in college and my most contented child is the only one left to homeschool. My college kids come home each night with stories of how their peers can't think and have so few opinions that matter. Over and over again, I see them comparing their life with that of their peers, and they are thankful.

I'm down to one kid. I spend about an hour a few days per week catching up on tests and going over material with the boy. I'm doing more housekeeping and lots of running to activities. Life is smoothing out.

I tell you this to hopefully let you know that it will not always be so hard. I've found rewards that have come with enduring the journey. I'm SO GLAD we did what we did, and I would do it all over again if I had to.

:grouphug: The bad days won't last forever. :grouphug:

Jean

My college kids come home each night with stories of how their peers can't think and have so few opinions that matter. Over and over again, I see them comparing their life with that of their peers, and they are thankful.

Ditto!! My dd thanks me so often for homeschooling. She's amazed by how little these kids know, have no study skills, have a bad attitudes, have great expectations, but won't put in any effort.

In the past, I often had doubts about homeschooling. I'll be the first to admit that my kids did/are doing it mostly on their own. I just provided the books and guidance. I've come to believe that the best thing we homeschooling moms can do for our children is allow them to become independent learners.

One of the replies reminded me of Erma Bombeck. Anyone here ever read her? She's more my mother's generation or probably older. In one of her books she wrote about a mother that seemed so perfectly in control to her. One day she asked that woman how she did it, and the woman said something like, "Every night I thank God I didn't strangle my children today." These weren't even homeschoolers!

At any rate, my teen did much better overall today.

One of the replies reminded me of Erma Bombeck. Anyone here ever read her? She's more my mother's generation or probably older. In one of her books she wrote about a mother that seemed so perfectly in control to her. One day she asked that woman how she did it, and the woman said something like, "Every night I thank God I didn't strangle my children today." These weren't even homeschoolers!

I remember Erma Bombeck; I read her columns with pleasure when I was ... a toddler. (Yes, that must be it as clearly I am not your mother's generation!)

Regards,

Kareni

At any rate, my teen did much better overall today.

It makes me wonder what my children would think if they realized how close they come to death on a daily basis. I'm sort of kidding. Today I've been dealing with a 13 year old that would rather die than continue school at home and a 10 year old that wasn't able to handle the responsibility she asked for this week. I'm exhausted and praying for my body and spirit to be restored tonight.

Janice, I'm sorry that the rogue wind has hit your house too.:grouphug: Yesterday morning I was standing at the kitchen sink with my coffee contemplating all that has not gone well with school this year. I stood there for a very long time. Then I realized I had not flipped the perpetual calendar for a few days:

February 5

"A life spent making mistakes

is not only more honorable but

more useful than a life spent

doing nothing."

-George Bernard Shaw

Oddly, I find comfort in this.:D

Take care of yourself. That darn, old rogue wind has to die down sometime.

February 5

doing nothing."

-George Bernard Shaw

Janice, a hug here, too.

Lisa, this made me think of Thomas the Tank Engine, this word useful. Thomas was all about being a useful little engine. Mostly I feel used. All the time. Used, used up, useless. I will try to think of my failures now as useful, instead. Thank you for that.

Edited by Nicole M

Janice, I'm sorry that the rogue wind has hit your house too.:grouphug: Yesterday morning I was standing at the kitchen sink with my coffee contemplating all that has not gone well with school this year. I stood there for a very long time. Then I realized I had not flipped the perpetual calendar for a few days:

February 5

doing nothing."

-George Bernard Shaw

At times like this the Old Optimist wishes to remind everyone to make a list of accomplishments--focusing on that which has not been done is overwhelmingly depressing. So turn the tables. I challenge you to share three warm and fuzzy moments from your week!

I have not had a bad week. It actually has been a very good week. No Math Wars which unfortunately are waged too often on this turf.

My son picked up a nasty cold and spent a day curled up under an afghan reading the Eoin Colfer sequel to The Hitchhiker's Guide books, looking like Rudolph with his red nose as he occasionally popped up to share some amusing bit with me. I felt like he was ten or twelve all over again--made me happy even though he was pretty darn miserable. (OK, so maybe you don't want a warm and fuzzy moment with the Sneeze-o-rama Machine.)

The once reluctant writer wrote beautiful thank you notes.

Enjoy the journey. The terminus is not far from sight.

Jane

Jane

As I am nursing my newborn and I am looking at her, I cannot believe that my oldest baby is getting married in just 2 1/2 months. My baby #2 is turning 18 today. Even though I have one that is only weeks into life, I already know that these days will fly by......just like with my older ones.

Enjoying the moment for what it is......that has become my daily mantra!

Thank you both for the reminder. A dear friend has her yoga studio in her large, lovely, childless home (she's a grandma). As much as I enjoy my sessions and her home, I am grateful to return to the mess, noise, and life in my own. It's too quiet there. Imagine that.

It's a hard road when they get past grammar school. But it can be a lovely one. I hope tomorrow is better for you.

Speaking of bad days and better days....

I copied down your schedule from another thread (which I am just too lazy to find at the moment) oh, about...two weeks ago (was it three? ETA: maybe 4? could it really have been that long ago?!?!?!)

Anyway, I adapted it just a bit to fit our schedule, so now my high schooler starts with Literature at 7:00 (we drink coffee and read/discuss together) and school is officially "over" at 5:30. He looks forward to having a definite time for guitar practice and exercise during the middle of the day, and I scheduled our family read-aloud from 3:15-4:00 to give us an incentive to finish up the hard stuff right after lunch.

That is not to say that he always finishes the assignments before 5:30, but we are both *so* much happier. We feel like we're really accomplishing things instead of just always spinning our wheels.

THANK YOU so much!

I remember Erma Bombeck; I read her columns with pleasure when I was ... a toddler. (Yes, that must be it as clearly I am not your mother's generation!)

Regards,

Kareni

:lol::lol: When did she write? I'm nearly half a century, and I don't even remember a column, but perhaps it wasn't in our paper. My parents are depression babies (okay, seniors now,) and Erma is or was (not sure if she's still alive) probably older. But I remember the books and have seen them in the library.

As I am nursing my newborn and I am looking at her, I cannot believe that my oldest baby is getting married in just 2 1/2 months. My baby #2 is turning 18 today. Even though I have one that is only weeks into life, I already know that these days will fly by......just like with my older ones.

Wow, that wedding is coming up!

:lol::lol: When did she write? I'm nearly half a century, and I don't even remember a column, but perhaps it wasn't in our paper. My parents are depression babies (okay, seniors now,) and Erma is or was (not sure if she's still alive) probably older. But I remember the books and have seen them in the library.

I remember reading her as a teen and thinking she was very funny. Then I had kids of my own and I didn't think she was nearly as funny. There was a scene where she and her husband were out for a romantic dinner date. He returned from the facilities and she asked him if he had washed his hands. Then she proceeded to tell him that he should have gone before they left. The evening was a bust. See, not funny. Painfully familiar.

I remember reading her as a teen and thinking she was very funny. Then I had kids of my own and I didn't think she was nearly as funny. There was a scene where she and her husband were out for a romantic dinner date. He returned from the facilities and she asked him if he had washed his hands. Then she proceeded to tell him that he should have gone before they left. The evening was a bust. See, not funny. Painfully familiar.

I haven't read her for years, but I liked her as a teen & before motherhood. I wonder how funny I'd find it now.