Menu

S/O Singapore Essential Math

Dinsfamily

TracyP just mentioned this in another thread and I was wondering about it. I really didn't like Earlybird and am wondering if this would be a better fit for us. This would be for my middle ds sometime between 4 and 6yo (depending on his readiness). Then, we'd move into Singapore PM 1A. What can you tell me?

ETA: Oh, he can already count past 20, knows colors and shapes, and can do simple addition. Would this be too easy for him?

Edited by Dinsfamily

Just subbing - I read about it on the other thread, too, and am very interested in it for my 5 yo. EB was ... a joke for him, but he's not ready for 1A yet. Hopefully someone who has used Essential Math can chime in!

That's how we felt too. My ds would probably have been ready for 1A, but I felt he was too young and 1B is much harder than 1A IMO. We ended up doing Horizons K which was great, but I'd love to use Singapore method program with my next ds if possible.

I have used EB 1A US edition, EB A &B Standards edition, and Essential Math K.

I thought the US edition was pretty lame. I thought EB A Standards edition was better than the US edition, but was really more like preK. I thought EB B Standard Edition was a good K level math, especially the second half of the book. I used it with Essential which was very similar in content, but was in B&W and often presented in a slightly different way. Also a couple of topics were covered in EB that were not in Essential and some were in Essential and not in EB.

I'm using Essential Math A&B with my two oldest. I don't think I'll buy the A book again, but the B book is useful for pre-k/k.

Units covered in Book A:

Same

Different

Sets

Count to 5

Numbers to 5

Numbers to 10

Number Order

Shapes

Patterns

Length

Size Weight

Capacity

Equal Sets

More

Less

Units covered in Book B:

Compare Numbers

Tens and Ones

Numbers to 20

Number Bonds

Addition

Counting On

Subtraction

Part

Counting Back

Addition and Subtraction

Numbers to 40

Ordering

Time

Numbers to 100

Even/Odd

Fractions

HTH!

ETA: Oh, he can already count past 20, knows colors and shapes, and can do simple addition. Would this be too easy for him?

It sounds like you could start with Book B. It's a very good pre 1A book. It is black and white but the pages aren't as busy looking as the Earlybird books.

I think the last post covered it pretty well as far as topics go. I am using A with my 4 yo and he is flying through it. I think we will have to slow down with B and will use that for next year. I wish I had used it with dd because I think she would have been much better prepared for 1a than she has been. We used a B & N Kindergarten book for her and it was a joke. I bought EB for son but it just seemed expensive and still not thorough enough (IMO). I have not used all of it but I think Essential Math is very good - especially B - for a "real" K math program.

Edited by TracyP

We skipped the EM A book and went right into the EM B book. This is with just Right Start A as a background. My daughter is doing EM B along with Horizons K and it works well together. Since I am doing EM B over the whole year we were able to spend more time on subjects she struggled with (like adding and place value).

Next year we plan on doing Horizons 1 and Singapore Standards 1 A & B together again since it worked so well this year.

Thanks everyone. I think this might just be for us. Looking at the samples it looks more PMesque than EB. That's really what we're looking for.

We skipped the EM A book and went right into the EM B book. This is with just Right Start A as a background. My daughter is doing EM B along with Horizons K and it works well together. Since I am doing EM B over the whole year we were able to spend more time on subjects she struggled with (like adding and place value).

Next year we plan on doing Horizons 1 and Singapore Standards 1 A & B together again since it worked so well this year.

We did Horizons 1 and Singapore 1A/B this year and it was a great combo. We'll be using Singapore 2A and Horizons 2 starting in April.

we've been doing EBA so far with DS who is 3. We have RS A on it's way to start soon. Will these work ok together or should we get the EM? DS is pretty mathy kid who has been breezing through EB A so far.

My very mathy dd finished EB last month and turns 4 in May. I'm not ready to start her on full fledged 1st grade math yet because of her young age (we are going to do SM 1a/1b with A beka or Horizons supplement). So, in March, we are going to begin a Horizons K/Rod&Staff 1 combo. This way, she can get a bit older, improve her writing, etc. Horizons is MUCH more advanced than EB and with the R&S 1, it should work to "fill" the time. Right now, we are taking a break from "curriculum" and working in Reader Rabbit Math K-1st grade.

• 3 weeks later...
Just subbing - I read about it on the other thread, too, and am very interested in it for my 5 yo. EB was ... a joke for him, but he's not ready for 1A yet. Hopefully someone who has used Essential Math can chime in!

Updating to say that we started EM this week, and my son LOVES it! He says it's his favorite book :D

It IS challenging (but not impossible) for him, so that we're only getting 2-3 pages done a day, as opposed to 12-15 pages in EB, and I consider that a good thing - maybe it'll actually last us to the end of the year ;)

Updating to say that we started EM this week, and my son LOVES it! He says it's his favorite book :D

It IS challenging (but not impossible) for him, so that we're only getting 2-3 pages done a day, as opposed to 12-15 pages in EB, and I consider that a good thing - maybe it'll actually last us to the end of the year ;)

Glad to hear that...I'm not sure when I'll add it for my almost 4yo, but I'll probably buy it in June just to have it on hand when he's ready.