Menu

new here... ques about computer classes

Guest dbl_my_luv

Guest dbl_my_luv

Hi!

The co-op our family is involved in would like to have a computer programming class for high schoolers next year. Does anyone have a recommendation for a textbook, method or language to use?

My background is in programming, but it's been so long since I started, that I don't think the languages I used to learn are relevent anymore. I've looked at some intro to programming books using Python, and that seems like a good way to go, but the scope of the books varies so widely that I'm not sure what I should be looking to cover at the high school level.

Thanks!

Hi!

The co-op our family is involved in would like to have a computer programming class for high schoolers next year. Does anyone have a recommendation for a textbook, method or language to use.

My background is in programming, but it's been so long since I started, that I don't think the languages I used to learn are relevent anymore. I've looked at some intro to programming books using Python, and that seems like a good way to go, but the scope of the books varies so widely that I'm not sure what I should be looking to cover at the high school level.

Thanks!

Hi!

You might consider C. My ds did a computer programming series through EPGY and that's what they use. The course was Introduction to C, but really the whole series taught programming concepts and logic, using C. The text they used was, I think, The Art and Science of C. You can find it on Amazon. It's probably pricey though unless you get it used--it is a large hardbound textbook.

I know what you mean... my background is in programming also, but I went to school back in the dark ages of Basic, Fortran and Pascal. I'm not familiar with C really (or C++, which is maybe another possibility?), but I guess if EPGY uses it, it must be worthwhile--also seems to be a pre-requisite for moving on to Java. Don't know anything about Python except it was mentioned as the programming language used at MIT in their freshman robotics class (we toured MIT last June.) So that might be a good option, too.

Best of luck!

I am taking an introductory programming class at the community college. We are using Starting Out with Programming Logic & Design by Tony Gaddis, and Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner by Michael Dawson. We are using a free flowcharting tool called Raptor.

I like the book, the materials, etc. and would recommend them for your class.

My son is taking a computer science class at the North Carolina School of Science and Math -- they started out with Python in first trimester, moved on to Java in second trimester, and I'm not sure what's on the plate for 3rd trimester..... They are using materials written by the professor.

Edited by Sandra in NC