Menu

Help assuage dd's freak-out: Do your children study Latin?

Do your children study Latin?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do your children study Latin?

• yes
    • no
    • somewhat

Not sure it would help much, but ds studies Latin. We're trying to hunt down some readers to supplement (we use Latina Christiana and so far, no stories).

My brother, sister and I all took two years of Latin in high school. It is a GREAT starter language (French was a breeze for all three of us) and it helps with vocabulary and everything else.

So relax! Everybody's doing it :lol:

Not sure it would help much, but ds studies Latin. We're trying to hunt down some readers to supplement (we use Latina Christiana and so far, no stories).

My brother, sister and I all took two years of Latin in high school. It is a GREAT starter language (French was a breeze for all three of us) and it helps with vocabulary and everything else.

So relax! Everybody's doing it :lol:

THANK YOU for your response. She is staying in the Latin boat. regardless;)

Mine's 9. We started it last yr, but w/ babies, it just got too overwhelming. Dd 6 cries when ds9 does anything w/out her, & she was too little for Latin, & the added drama--sheesh!

But I do plan to start it back up, probably in the fall. Dd will be 7 & is very linguistically gifted. Ds has matured since he started. The babies...well, they're toddlers now. I'm not sure that's better, lol!

I voted somewhat. We've completed 1 year each of three different Latin programs. Trying to find a program that is a good fit for us has been challenging. However, while we are still looking for that "right" program, we are still studying roots and word parts, both for Greek and Latin.

IMO, the knowledge is absolutely indispensable - not only in the English language, but in all the romance languages and then some. The knowledge we have accumulated so far has helped tremendously with the dc's study of Italian and now Spanish. It is amazing how much easier it is to learn a modern language with the base knowledge of Latin!!

Latin was my son's choice. He took a spanish class and was not crazy about it. He has been interested in Latin and Greek roots since he was a PK fascinated by dinosaurs. Now, he is a science crazy 16yo who is loving Latin. (I am sure that it helps that he has a very engaging, knowledgeable teacher - not me:)). My second son is following in his footsteps. I am sure we will get going with my youngest soon enough.

Ya know... when my sister was in high school she was informed that women had no business learning Latin. After all, it's a "scientific" language, mostly used in careers that women didn't belong in anyway. Silly little women thinking they could handle a man's language.

That's how our local high school came to carry Latin as an elective. My silly sister threatened to contact the ACLU and have them explain gender discrimination to the superintendant.

Ah, memories.

That's why my brother and I had to take Latin, so my sister's struggle wouldn't have been for "nothing."

Thought your dd might find that pov interesting. That women's brains are just incapable of Latin... Makes me want to study a little harder, I know that :p

IMO, the knowledge is absolutely indispensable - not only in the English language, but in all the romance languages and then some. The knowledge we have accumulated so far has helped tremendously with the dc's study of Italian and now Spanish. It is amazing how much easier it is to learn a modern language with the base knowledge of Latin!!

:iagree: We've been at this 2 yrs., BUT this year it is full on (ya' know-actual work;)) We are on Ch. 10 of Wheelock and she is really finally having to give effort-it has always come very easily to her in the past- and that is the origin of the complaining.

Thanks for the reply -she will be reading it.

I am a three-time Latin drop out. :blushing: My older three have all had some Latin; the older two attended Latin classes for a couple years. Even though their Latin study has been sketchy, I believe it's been beneficial.

My twins are currently working through English From the Roots Up and playing Rummy Roots. I'm not sure if we will pursue Latin after that. We might start Spanish. My 12 yr old is free to tackle Latin, but she doesn't really want to at this point. She's had one year.

I had two years of intense Latin in high school and enjoyed it. I'm not quite sure why I can't make it work in my home.

In addition to my earlier comment, I wanted to add that just from my own jr high Latin studies, I can confidently and intelligently speak to my doctor (and my parents' doctors and my children's' doctor, etc) without feeling lost and stupid. Since medical terms are based in Latin, it is relatively easy to figure out what the terms mean just by breaking them down. And now, with the additional knowledge I've personally gained from our homeschool studies (which have been much more in depth than what I learned in school), understanding words that I have never even heard before is second nature.

In addition to my earlier comment, I wanted to add that just from my own jr high Latin studies, I can confidently and intelligently speak to my doctor (and my parents' doctors and my children's' doctor, etc) without feeling lost and stupid. Since medical terms are based in Latin, it is relatively easy to figure out what the terms mean just by breaking them down. And now, with the additional knowledge I've personally gained from our homeschool studies (which have been much more in depth than what I learned in school), understanding words that I have never even heard before is second nature.

I explained the same thing about something a simple as a doctor visit. If he gives you a prescription and tell you to take it sub-lingually, you will know exactly what he means.

I realize there are much broader benefits-I was trying to show her something practical, as she doesn't like dealing in abstracts.

Thanks for the additional reply.

She is actually feeling better and keeping those 3rd conjugations straight might not cause her a headache tomorrow.:D

Haven't got time to read all the responses, but tell her to hang in there. My 14 year old dd are having the same struggle, but her 16 year old sister advised her to learn Latin. She's taking Spanish now in dual enrollment courses at a local university and says they've been very easy because of her Latin background (which she thought was incredibly boring at the time:) She says that she has an edge over students that haven't had to decline nouns or conjugate verbs. I overheard her today telling her younger sister about a Spanish imperfect verb that was almost identical to the Latin one. "The whole verb conjugation is exactly the same!" She also has a huge edge in vocabulary because she can usually make an intelligent guess. Most everything is a Latin derivative, especially in the sciences, music, language, grammar, etc. Hang tough, Mom. She'll thank you one day.

We aren't studying Latin at our house, but that's mostly because "we" have some "special needs" that have meant that we need to focus on the basics, at least for now. If that were not the case I would love to be learning Latin along with my children, but it's just more than "we" can handle at present.

Thank you all for the responses and a special thanks to those who gave words of encouragement. She has read the replies and it has given her food for thought. Like I said before, we are on Ch. 10 of Wheelock and it has become a challenge for her for the first time, and today she had a minor melt-down.

She really needed to read this. Thanks again everyone!

Storm's in a classical school right now, but completed 2 years of Latin before entering school. The school she attends uses the Oxford Latin series, & Storm aces every test. I think Latin helped Storm test extremely high on the vocabulary portion of her ERB test. And, because of Latin, Storm can look at words and determine if from Latin stems.

We are trying to study Latin. It's just not going well. I have the Big Book from Lively Latin (I think it's lively) but we all get lost when we get into the declensions and conjugating the verbs. So, what we're going to do is just the vocabulary. Just memorize the words. I remember getting totally bogged down and actually failing latin in hs TWICE becuase of the conjugations and declensions. Of course, my PS education was such that the first time I ever conjugated a verb was in a COLLEGE level grammar class. No wonder I was clueless...

My now college freshman took five years of Latin beginning in 8th grade. She completed AP Latin plus an additional year. She also took a year of Ancient Greek in 12th grade. She's still taking Latin as she intends to major in Latin and/or Classical Studies.

Regards,

Kareni

I have bought two Latin curricula over the years but we haven't started either one :blushing:

Every year I think, next year.. but I'm not finding the time in our schedule. We do study Arabic, which also has a very structured grammar; I'm hoping whenever we get to Latin it will help that they've already had experience with that.

I had four years of Latin in highschool, the way we're going my kids may end up with the same experience.