Menu

Setting goals: I need some examples

Dh and I are going to sit down soon and pray and think about goals for our children. We'd like to have some written goals before we buy curriculum. As I'm researching curriculum for our first high school year, I am realizing more and more how helpful this will be! I'd love to hear what your goals are for your children either for high school or for that first year of high school. I just need to get thinking but could use some ideas.

I have always tailored my homeschool approach to each of my boys. But my ultimate academic goal, my bottom line, has been the same for both. That goal is that by the time they graduate they will be able discern bias in what they read, know how to research, form an opinion and support that opinion in an articulate and logically persuasive manner whether in writing or in speaking. I figure the rest is details, and the degree to which I fret over the details is different with each child. One is college bound, the other has a professional school in mind so didn't follow a college prep track.

Just as when we started homeschooling when they were young, I still care about instilling a love of learning and nurturing their innate curiosity about the world. I also want them to be responsible and kind young men.

I have steered away from "programs" or packaged curricula for history and literature as I enjoy creating my own courses, and I've chosen different approaches to math and science for each of my 2 boys. One is going a tougher AP type of route, the other did courses and texts he would simply enjoy. The non-tradtional kid is doing well post high school, by the way. He developed his gifts and talents during high school and is already working towards his career goals.

Don't know if that helps or not!

I have always tailored my homeschool approach to each of my boys. But my ultimate academic goal, my bottom line, has been the same for both. That goal is that by the time they graduate they will be able discern bias in what they read, know how to research, form an opinion and support that opinion in an articulate and logically persuasive manner whether in writing or in speaking. I figure the rest is details, and the degree to which I fret over the details is different with each child. One is college bound, the other has a professional school in mind so didn't follow a college prep track.

Just as when we started homeschooling when they were young, I still care about instilling a love of learning and nurturing their innate curiosity about the world. I also want them to be responsible and kind young men.

I have steered away from "programs" or packaged curricula for history and literature as I enjoy creating my own courses, and I've chosen different approaches to math and science for each of my 2 boys. One is going a tougher AP type of route, the other did courses and texts he would simply enjoy. The non-tradtional kid is doing well post high school, by the way. He developed his gifts and talents during high school and is already working towards his career goals.

Don't know if that helps or not!

Yes, that does help. There are SO many "programs and packaged curricula" to look at and consider that I sometimes can't see the forest for the trees! I need simple basic goals, and like you said, "the rest is details". I like that! I have created history and literature curriculum on my own too every year because I can tailor it to my dc's needs and levels for that year. But, for high school, I just don't feel so confident doing that.

Y I have created history and literature curriculum on my own too every year because I can tailor it to my dc's needs and levels for that year. But, for high school, I just don't feel so confident doing that.

Sydni,

You might remember me -- I'm the former Albuquerquean (is that a word?!) who commented on your blog one time about how much I enjoy seeing the photos of NM. Based on your wonderfully creative ideas you showcase on Without Excuse, I'd say you can certainly continue creating your own high school courses. It isn't that different in the high school years -- our kids simply become able to do more.

Re-read the Rhetoric section of the WTM, especially the history section, then download and listen to the lecture on teaching writing in the high school years which is on this page of the Peace Hill Press catalog. I think it will help you visualize how high school works, and give you the confidence to continue what you are doing.

Sydni,

You might remember me -- I'm the former Albuquerquean (is that a word?!) who commented on your blog one time about how much I enjoy seeing the photos of NM. Based on your wonderfully creative ideas you showcase on Without Excuse, I'd say you can certainly continue creating your own high school courses. It isn't that different in the high school years -- our kids simply become able to do more.

Re-read the Rhetoric section of the WTM, especially the history section, then download and listen to the lecture on teaching writing in the high school years which is on this page of the Peace Hill Press catalog. I think it will help you visualize how high school works, and give you the confidence to continue what you are doing.

Oh, yes! Now I do remember. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Thanks too for the link. I will definitely check that out. I think my fears come mostly from teaching literature. I don't know if I could pull together a good discussion. I know that I won't have time to read all of the literature I would like dd to read.