Menu

My kids want to be a bum, a pastry chef and princess. What about yours?

My oldest is still deciding!

My 19 year old wants to write the great American novel. Or be a librarian. But being a librarian requires quite a bit of math and you pretty much have to start out with a master's in library science. So writing the great American novel might be easier.

(Short answer-she is currently an English major because she loves words. Words that others wrote, words that she wrote, the act of writing words. She is just amazingly gifted with words. She just doesn't know for sure yet how she wants to use her gift)

My 17 year plans to major in political science with a minor in history and her intention is to save the world. From liberals, but I did not say that out loud.

My 12 year old would like to be a chef.

My 10 year old would either like to be the new leader singer of Superchick. Or a princess. She still has a lot of princess left in her.

My 8 year old wants to be a video game tester. Oh, and he was going to be a contestant on American Idol, until yesterday. Yesterday we got his long shaggy hair cut, totally destroying his chances with American Idol. He reminded me of his missed opportunity for success and fame all the way home from Supercuts.

(There is a secret hidden message in here about one of my kids. You can find it if you want, but don't be offended if you do!!)

Editing and copyediting involve both evaluating and tightening someone else's writing, as well as a fair amount of your own writing (publicity copy, re-writing a bad author <ugh>). It is also easy to edit/copyedit/proofread on a freelance basis.

Just a thought.

Once in a blue moon (okay, when I read posts like this;)), I ask my guys what they want to be when they grow up. They almost never mention anything specific. My oldest has just recently started saying he wants to be a wildlife biologist or something along those lines, but he's not wed to the idea. My second son dreams of playing professional soccer, in the way kids dream about stuff like that. But I've certainly never had a little one say he wants to do a particular job when he grows up...

Once in a blue moon (okay, when I read posts like this;)), I ask my guys what they want to be when they grow up. They almost never mention anything specific. My oldest has just recently started saying he wants to be a wildlife biologist or something along those lines, but he's not wed to the idea. My second son dreams of playing professional soccer, in the way kids dream about stuff like that. But I've certainly never had a little one say he wants to do a particular job when he grows up...

My kids are the "I-don't-know" kind of kids too. I mean, they come up with stuff to answer people who ask, but they don't have any amazing drive toward any one thing.

Side note: My dh originally went to school to become a wildlife biologist (like his professor father) and my bil is employed by WA in wildlife biology. Interesting work, lousy compensation!!!!!:thumbdown:

My dd decided when she was 9 that she wants to be a concert pianist. When she was 11, she told us her goal had changed, and that she now wanted to be the best pianist in the whole world.

Ds isn't sure, but thinks he may want to act. I have no idea what he will turn out to be, but I am sure it will involve other people, as he has so much empathy for others. I would like for him to go to college, but am coming to the realization that this may not be the best plan for him- that way I won't be shocked if he ever tells me this.

Your original post made me smile! My 6yo wants to work at an Brusters (an ice cream shop); 5th grade ds wants to be a professional lacrosse player; 7th grade dd wants to be an orthopedic nurse, with time on the side to have a horse farm. My 2yo seems to be leaning towards a career in demolition...

Shelly