Menu

Blackburn College Carlinville, United States- Illinois

micjayne

[quote

My dd has a couple of the work colleges on her list (her father and I both attended one :001_smile:) but I don't know much about Blackburn.

Georgia

What is dd's list?

Which work college did you and dh attend?

At first really liked the looks of Warren Wilson too but subculture? may not work out for ds. From some student reviews on-line, there seems to be quite a significant use of marijuana, partying etc. along with strong academics.

Blackburn doesn't seem to rate really high but the website looks appealing, so still wondering..

[quote

My dd has a couple of the work colleges on her list (her father and I both attended one :001_smile:) but I don't know much about Blackburn.

Georgia

What is dd's list?

Which work college did you and dh attend?

At first really liked the looks of Warren Wilson too but subculture? may not work out for ds. From some student reviews on-line, there seems to be quite a significant use of marijuana, partying etc. along with strong academics.

Blackburn doesn't seem to rate really high but the website looks appealing, so still wondering..

My dd has Berea on her list, pending checking it out in person, lol. My dh and I attended Warren Wilson. As much as I still enjoy the idea of the school, it is very much a party school (much, much worse even than when we were there) and I will not encourage any of my children to attend.

Nor, sadly, would I ever recommend it as a choice for a serious student or for anyone who isn't extremely strong in their own personal convictions. Some amazing people change-the-world type people were there when we attended, but they were a minority.

hth,

Georgia

Edited by Georgia in NC
formatting

I'm familiar with Blackburn. I didn't go there, but I grew up near there and many of my teachers went there. I also took piano lessons there in junior high and high school. The most recent president has been terrific, and is very well-liked in the community. Student wise there is a mix of good eggs and bad apples. Send me a PM if you have additional specific questions I can answer.

I'm familliar with Blackburn, also. I didn't go there, but grew up nearby and knew lots of people that DID go there. I never heard anything negative about it! :001_smile: I LOVE Carlinville, IL -- sweet, community-oriented, but big enough to have a Wal-Mart. ;) Also, not far from Springfield, IL!

PM me if you have any other questions. I'm never on this board. :001_smile:

I'm familiar with Blackburn. I didn't go there, but I grew up near there and many of my teachers went there. I also took piano lessons there in junior high and high school. The most recent president has been terrific, and is very well-liked in the community. Student wise there is a mix of good eggs and bad apples. Send me a PM if you have additional specific questions I can answer.

Thank you and Melissa for adding and offer for more information. I will be in touch. We are broadening our search.

J