Menu

How would you handle this - problem with online Latin class...

My daughter is taking Latin online and academically it is going very well. She's learning a lot and getting a solid A. The teacher sees it as one of her jobs to give the students a taste of the 'real world' by having very strict deadlines (down to the minute) for homework and quizzes. I don't have a problem with that. We thought it was a little weird at first because she spent a lot of time talking in class about 'get your homework in' which we found to be a waste and in addition to the deadline to get it in, she had times for starting. So if you had a conflict, you couldn't work ahead to get things done. But we got used to it.

You turn your homework in via the computer on a website created for these classes and homework/quiz grading etc. Last week my daughter submitted her homework. I was standing there when she did it, so I know it happened. When she went a few days later to do her quiz, the homework hadn't registered. It was now past time. My daughter asked me what she should do. The teacher is very big on the student taking responsibility for their own stuff so I told her to email the teacher and explain what happened. Neither of us expected her to change her homework grade (she'll get a 0 for that assignment) but we thought it was important that she know there was a problem in case it was wide-spread or the problem persists.

The email we got back confirmed that she had no intention of doing anything about the homework but she also told her that next time she should just do her work on time and not try to fix it afterward. This is after my daughter explained it was done on time and submitted but now isn't showing up on the electronic page. My daughter feels like she's been called a liar and I can see why. This isn't the first week of class. Over the last 6 months my daughter has never missed any assignments and gotten A's consistently. In the real world that the teacher wants so badly to emulate, you earn respect and the benefit of the doubt. She never asked to have her grade changed and I am really angry that she implied my daughter was lying.

So now I don't know what to do. Should I email the teacher? I don't want to establish a hostile relationship but I think this is pretty rude. Also, this is her first year of high school Latin and she plans on all 4 years. The online options for that are limited. So do I start looking to switch for next year? Am I blowing this out of proportion?

Thanks

Heather

I think I would have dd send another email. It would go something like...

I must not have been clear in my original correspondence. I was not asking to be allowed to turn the assignment in late. I was only notifying you that there had been a problem in the exchange in case it was a wide spread problem that needed a technician to look into. I fully understood that I would not be allowed to receive any credit for the assignment. I am sorry that there was a misunderstanding about my intent in originally contacting you.

If the teacher gives another snarky reply, I would most likely take it up with the administration of the school/site instead of the teacher herself. At that time, I would be addressing the teacher's attitude and not the missed assignment/grade. It the teacher IS the head of the school/site and not just an employee, I would most likely find a different option for next year.

That is very frustrating. Dd is also taking an online Latin class from a different source and the students are instructed to screen print the quiz results before exiting. Having a paper printout of the quiz results is the only way one can argue about on unregistered grade. Perhaps your dd can start doing this.

I was shocked to see the number students posting in the "Ask a teacher" forum requesting extensions on deadlines for quizes and even the midterm and complaining about incorrect results. Playing devils advocate for a moment, maybe the teacher had just had a rash of complaints/ requests for extensions etc. and this was a last straw. Maybe she didn't even check your dd's grades before replying. This may be a disadvantage of the online system where the teacher doesn't really get to know the students.

IMO, extend to her the grace she didn't extend to your dd, and move on .ETA( Move on with this class, not change classes.) I would not contact her again about this matter, but be prepared to substantiate any claim in the future, such as having a printout of the quiz/ homework results.

Also, though, I would ask for a confirmation system to avoid this problem in the future, and also I would encourage your DD to submit all future homework twice, just in case.

In addition, depending on how the teacher responds, IMV it's appropriate for you to step in as a parent/witness at that point. You can say that you personally saw your DD submit the work, and the date and time that she did so, and that you want to make sure that the teacher understands that this is not a he said she said kind of error.

I see why you feel the way you do. As for the teacher's response, certainly rudeness has no excuse, but I think sometimes it is really hard in an online environment to get the complete picture if that makes sense. Maybe the teacher jumped to conclusions because she gets a lot of this. Your daughter being a solid A student six months in, it just doesn't make sense and I would be feeling upset, too. I second Lolly's advice of having your dd clarify. Then, if that doesn't work, I would contact the teacher myself and if that didn't work, I'd go higher up--ETA--if the behavior persists on the part of the teacher.

ETA: I also like Lawana's advice. I guess I would also look back over the past 6 months and try to assess how the teacher has dealt with your child throughout this time. I still think the second email is a good idea for your dd to send, but at that point, maybe it is best to extend grace this one time if you can let it go and if things have gone well up until now.

Edited by Violet

Have no idea! We just started a Latin course that is 30 weeks a year, for 2 hrs a week. The lady has taught for years.... and it's actually less than most courses I've checked. She may not be covering enough for some, but it's perfect for us. In one year, they'll get from Henle Unit 1- Unit 5. (5 Units). I can't imagine the Teacher being that rude, and I think that as a Teacher... it's their job to create an environment of diligence and yet grace. Since your daughter is a minor, to be honest, I think she should have cc'd you and perhaps called you about this.

Sorry

To begin with, I would have your daughter CC you every time she emails the teacher. That way the teacher knows that you are in the loop; your daughter isn't trying to wiggle out of something.

Maybe your daughter could send her a followup email EVERY TIME she submits a homework assignment including her work in an attachment (copying you too of course). :001_smile: You could have her say something like, "In the past, I uploaded an assignment and it didn't register, so I thought that I would send you an email as well - just to be sure." That way you'll have a record.

If the teacher is going to be inflexible even when the student has a solid track record, then the upload system should offer some way that you can validate on your end that the assignment was received.

Fair is fair.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

At this point, I'd be asking for the opportunity to resubmit the assignment, given how the teacher responded. As the student, I might be willing to let it go just to keep the peace, but if you let the teacher step on her this time, the teacher will probably just continue the behavior. And your student will probably resent the teacher for not accepting this assignment. It's going to spill over into her attitude towards getting her work done. It's not a good situation to allow to continue, on either end.

I don't have a lot of tolerance for this sort of response from teachers. They need to be polite. It doesn't set up an atmosphere of trust between teacher and student if they're not. The student (and parent, if you write) also need to be super polite -- if only to set an example. At the very least, the teacher needs to understand that she has to read and *understand* the emails she's getting from her students, rather than just making assumptions.

If the teacher doesn't want the parent involved, you might point out that you are, in fact, paying the bill. I get a little tired of colleges that try to pull this trick too -- calling it helicopter parenting and acting like the parents are doing too much for their kids. I've come to suspect that a lot of the reason why teachers/colleges don't want parents involved is because it makes it more difficult for them to rule their little kingdom without an adult, with adult experience, coming in and insisting that things be done right.

I've always found that teachers (and colleges) that welcomed parent involvement were more inclined to treat their students fairly.

However, I would suggest that the first step is, as someone already suggested, having your daughter write and explain, very politely, that the teacher didn't understand the first email she sent. It could be that the teacher will realize her mistake and completely fix things, including accepting the "late" assignment. I would NOT ignore this just to keep the peace, because your daughter is probably going to resent how she was treated.

When she submits her homework does it go out through her email? Can she check the "Sent" messages, and forward the original one with the original date time group on it?

No - it's direct into the web system. I wish it was email or some other system independent of her but it also grades the work so I'm sure that's helpful for her.

Heather

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback. It's so hard to know what to do. I have decided to email the teacher and simply address her assumption that my daughter lied. I talked with my daughter last night she knows it's not unusual for teachers/coaches/bosses etc to act in this way and I can't always be there to fight for her. She's experienced all kinds of poor behaviour on the part of adults in her gymnastics career. But in this case I think we have a right to expect better. They bill themselves as a Christian organization and should therefore treat their customers in a Christian manner. I hope that a simple email will not develop an adversarial relationship, but if it does, that will make the decision as to what to do next year very easy. On the other hand, if she responds gently, we can easily put this behind us and look forward.

Thank you

Heather

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback. It's so hard to know what to do. I have decided to email the teacher and simply address her assumption that my daughter lied. I talked with my daughter last night she knows it's not unusual for teachers/coaches/bosses etc to act in this way and I can't always be there to fight for her. She's experienced all kinds of poor behaviour on the part of adults in her gymnastics career. But in this case I think we have a right to expect better. They bill themselves as a Christian organization and should therefore treat their customers in a Christian manner. I hope that a simple email will not develop an adversarial relationship, but if it does, that will make the decision as to what to do next year very easy. On the other hand, if she responds gently, we can easily put this behind us and look forward.

Thank you

Heather

I would address the situation as well; I hope it works out favorably for you. :)

To begin with, I would have your daughter CC you every time she emails the teacher. That way the teacher knows that you are in the loop; your daughter isn't trying to wiggle out of something.

Maybe your daughter could send her a followup email EVERY TIME she submits a homework assignment including her work in an attachment (copying you too of course). :001_smile: You could have her say something like, "In the past, I uploaded an assignment and it didn't register, so I thought that I would send you an email as well - just to be sure." That way you'll have a record.

If the teacher is going to be inflexible even when the student has a solid track record, then the upload system should offer some way that you can validate on your end that the assignment was received.

Fair is fair.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I love this idea. CCing people so that you have multiple pieces of evidence is very "real-world" also. Holding people accountable when YOU have done your work and THEIR technology has been to blame is also "real-world." Definitely do that!!