Menu

Remedial Math to prepare for algebra

My math averse dh must take college algebra to keep his job. He really struggles in this area, although he uses practical math everyday in his work. He has severe test taking anxiety and I know will not be able to place in intermediate college algebra without major intervention. We do not have the time or money for him to take the two remedial math classes at the community college. Does anyone have any suggestions of something we can do at home for him to prepare to take the course in the summer? He is highly motivated to learn and will put in whatever work he needs to.

I suspect that he has undiagnosed learning disabilities, but has greatly compensated for them throughout his adult life. Any advise would be appreciated.

Laurel T.

I ditto the other poster in using ALEKS

I also suggest getting copies of Lial's Introductory Algebra and Lial's Intermediate Algebra (older editions are fine) and using them for 'reference texts' if/when he needs more practice or instruction than ALEKS has.

The Lial texts ARE CC remedial Algebra texts and have all of the instruction in the student texts.

ISBN for 8th edition is

Introductory Algebra (Algebra 1) 0321279212

Intermediate Algebra (Algebra 2) 0321279204

I don't know if it's in your price range, but someone in my family used my copy of Math Relief to prepare for the algebra part of some graduate school exams. An adult might not have to do all the problems, but should probably do two phases to get ready for a level 2 algebra. Ther's a sample video on the website.

http://www.mathrelief.com/

Julie