Menu

grammar after R&S 8 - what to use?

*Sigh* We have used R&S grades 3 - 8. Ds is is grade 7, but we started a year early. I am really not sure what to do from here on out. I know many folks stop after R&S 8. Ds is quite good at grammar, but I have a (irrational???) fear he will forget everything if we don't do something for grammar. I have looked at AG in the past and don't remember being that keen on it, though at this point, I cannot recall why. Could their "maintenance" workbooks be used by someone who has never used their program? It seems like it didn't seem quite as thorough as R&S??? I am considering MCT Magic Lens, but this seems like overkill/too much. As ds gets older time management is a bigger issue.

Any ideas for something to use? I do not use the R&S writing. We are planning on OYAN next year, and I will definitely be adding in Word Within the Word for vocabulary. Then there is literature! It just seems like language arts is too time-consuming!! Especially for a dc who is mathy.

Edited by Hoggirl
typo!

I was thinking about that very subject this morning! My daughter isn't as advanced as your son; she's only in English 7. Next year she'll do English 8, then English 9 in ninth grade, and finally English 10. English 9 and 10 are very advanced, but I find them intriguing.

And, do they review everything that has been previously covered? Quiver told me they were REALLY advanced! I don't know that we need *more* grammar, but I hate to just drop it, kwim?

I'm sorry, Cynthia; I don't have the book available. It's out at our cabin in storage. Here's the link for information about the Grade 9 book:

http://www.rodandstaff.info/samples/9/english/

As far as forgetting all the English grammar he's ever learned...that *could* happen (not just to your son, but to anyone's child). My husband, who was valedictorian of his class, a nuclear engineer, etc., etc., doesn't remember ANY of the Latin he learned in six years of study at his Episcopal school. He is vague on literature and a few other subjects. Those things never touched his heart and his imagination. He learned them long enough to get good grades in school, but he never thought about them in his spare time, and they just faded out of his memory. My seventh-grader gets A's in English and Latin -- never a moment of difficulty -- but she's exactly like my husband, and I'm afraid she'll do the same thing.

Dd is doing R&S English 8 now (in 8th grade). So what should she do in 9th? She's used R&S from 3 - 8th, so perhaps it would be logical to continue to the 9th grade book? But, does she need more grammar? What do other high schoolers do for English in these years? I've heard some do lit classes instead, but how do they keep grammar knowledge from fading?

Confused... :lol:

Thanks for posting!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)