Menu

just a tiny brag...

My dd17 (junior this year) has been offered a scholarship to play NCAA Div. 1 soccer after she graduates with one of her top choice schools! She has worked so long and wanted this so much! We are so proud of her for keeping that passion over the years and working hard academically to achieve her goals.

Now...to get her through the next year and a half and make sure I have all my ducks in a row!!! Transcripts, diplomas, SAT...at least the hard part is done...picking the college!

Just thought I'd share our good news.

Have a great day!

Robin

Congratulations to you and your daughter!!!

I find few people realize the work involved for these student/athletes. My son will swim for a DI school next year so I know how hard your daughter (and you) have worked.

Have you started with the NCAA process yet? It is daunting but doable. Let me know if you need any support!

did that last summer...

Dd does take some classes through Keystone and they have accepted her home taught courses. She should have a transcript and diploma through them. They are NCAA approved. The university will also accept their diploma. This makes the whole process considerably easier on everyone.

Thanks again. We are all so excited and proud.

Robin

We're currently looking into how to keep our dd involved in soccer through the high school years...if you don't mind my asking, how did you do it? Ohio is proving to be difficult, but we have a meeting with a local school board to see if they'll let her play under a partial-enrollment policy. She can probably play for a private christian school (again, partial enrollment) but they only have a coed team. Any advice would be appreciated ;).

-Jen

We're currently looking into how to keep our dd involved in soccer through the high school years...if you don't mind my asking, how did you do it? Ohio is proving to be difficult, but we have a meeting with a local school board to see if they'll let her play under a partial-enrollment policy. She can probably play for a private christian school (again, partial enrollment) but they only have a coed team. Any advice would be appreciated ;).

-Jen

In our area, there are local travel teams and club teams. Maybe check out the AAU website? Each state has their own soccer or "football" association. These teams are usually more competitive than a high school team.

she played on our local recreation team until she was 10. At that point she had to try out for a competitive club team and has played at that level for the last 7 years.

As far as high school goes, I have no idea. Dd plays on a homeschool soccer team just for fun. They play against local private and public schools. The games are scrimmages for the opponent...they are our "real" games.

I believe most players are recruited based on their club team participation. I've never heard of anyone being scouted from a high school team. Now football, basketball, track...all those are dependent upon high school participation.

At least this has been our experience. So NOT playing on a regular high school team has not made one bit of difference.

hth,

Robin

Congrats!!

I tread lightly here but...how are her grades - could she get a scholarship for academics (at least partial and soccer take care of the rest)?

I played VB in college and I decided to take an academic scholarship over a VB scholarship. My reasoning? The academic scholarship covered more than the sports scholarship. However, I am GLAD I did that because I decided to graduate a semester early and if I had a sports-based scholarship, it would have been pulled and I would have had to pay for my last semester in college (private college - LOTS of $$$)...

just wanted to put it out there...i always encourage girls i coach to work on getting academic scholarships so they can play in college but if they decide not to, want to graduate early, or get hurt, they still will have their schooling paid for, you know?

But overall, CONGRATS!!! It is SOO exciting! I was there 9 years ago :)

she can actually use both, according to the advisors.

She will be doing everything to get a high score on her SAT and ACT. The coach encouraged her to try to cover the remaining portion with academic funds if needed, for the first year.

The thing is, the first year will be a 60% scholarship. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th years will be 100%. And we have confirmed and re-confirmed this...just to be sure!

Thanks for the heads up!

Robin

she can actually use both, according to the advisors.

She will be doing everything to get a high score on her SAT and ACT. The coach encouraged her to try to cover the remaining portion with academic funds if needed, for the first year.

The thing is, the first year will be a 60% scholarship. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th years will be 100%. And we have confirmed and re-confirmed this...just to be sure!

Thanks for the heads up!

Robin

SMART GIRL! Congrats again!

-Jen

Clubs are the way -- we're in Frisco near FC Dallas and have friends whose son was recruited from this local FC Dallas youth club to be a goalie for a club in Southern CA. The Southern CA coach has connections to the Jr. Olympics. The OP is deserving a HUGE pat on the back -- from what little I understand, this college scholarship to a top tier school is AMAZING in the club world!!! Girl POWER!!

----------------

ETA: Our friend's son did not do academically well with the move to CA. His grades took a dive and he is getting close to being cut on the team. The family sacrificed so much with the move and new job to get son close to his junior olympic dream. Again, I applaud the OP for having her ds be a stellar student and athlete!! Not easy!!

Edited by tex-mex

Thanks for the advice about going the club route. We're working on it, but I wish we'd started with a good club a little younger. AAU in our area only offers track and Bball.

Congrats again...sounds like the kind of opportunity that doesn't come around very often!

-Jen

Clubs are the way --

By clubs, do you mean specifically US Swim clubs? Dd would love that, but so far finances are a factor. I do know around here that she has to swim all 4 years on a high school team with MIAA to qualify for certain scholarships if she gets fast enough. She is not an early bloomer with swimming but has exceeded her coach's expectations for her. If and when we can swing it we want to get her on a US Club swim team because they train differently & it will help her. So far she's been on a local B&G club team that is better than most but they don't train to the same level, partly do to practice time constraints.

Wow, that's wonderful. I just read it to my dd. She played rec till 10 and for the last 2 years has played for the Fuller Hamlets. It's $$ but you can't beat the instruction! She is a center-mid and defense player.

I was really worried I had to put her in HS just so she would play at the HS level to get a scholarship, I am pretty far behind you as she is my oldest, that takes a lot of stress off my shoulders. She does extremely well academically and I am praying we have a good outcome. Congrats, job well done!

By clubs, do you mean specifically US Swim clubs? Dd would love that, but so far finances are a factor. I do know around here that she has to swim all 4 years on a high school team with MIAA to qualify for certain scholarships if she gets fast enough. She is not an early bloomer with swimming but has exceeded her coach's expectations for her. If and when we can swing it we want to get her on a US Club swim team because they train differently & it will help her. So far she's been on a local B&G club team that is better than most but they don't train to the same level, partly do to practice time constraints.

For our friends, they enrolled their child at the FC Dallas Youth Soccer Camps. From there, they joined a soccer club with the FC Dallas Youth Soccer Group. It was a huge expense, a lot of travel time for parents, traveling on the weekends to games at other area clubs, and good to get your child noticed by scouts or other coaches. It was a huge year-round commitment and the kids had no time for afterschool things or extracurricular.

Edited by tex-mex

:party:

CONGRATS!!!!

My dd17 (junior this year) has been offered a scholarship to play NCAA Div. 1 soccer after she graduates with one of her top choice schools! She has worked so long and wanted this so much! We are so proud of her for keeping that passion over the years and working hard academically to achieve her goals.

Now...to get her through the next year and a half and make sure I have all my ducks in a row!!! Transcripts, diplomas, SAT...at least the hard part is done...picking the college!

Just thought I'd share our good news.

Have a great day!

Robin

Wow! I'm so happy for both of you!

Hard to believe your dd is 17! Where has time gone? I remember way back ---guess it was 11 years ago when the first board opened---and she would have been 6 or 7. I remember some early posts from you then.

Glad to see you are still around. I hop in once in a while but don't recognize but a few names.

Congratulations on this great achievement! You are seeing light at the end of the tunnel!

Wow, that's wonderful. I just read it to my dd. She played rec till 10 and for the last 2 years has played for the Fuller Hamlets. It's $$ but you can't beat the instruction! She is a center-mid and defense player.

I was really worried I had to put her in HS just so she would play at the HS level to get a scholarship, I am pretty far behind you as she is my oldest, that takes a lot of stress off my shoulders. She does extremely well academically and I am praying we have a good outcome. Congrats, job well done!

Actually, in MA you can play for a high school team without going to public school. It's in the MIAA guidelines. You do, however, have to file quarterly academic progress reports & pay the athletic fee.

of those who can utilize some of the ps programs. We can't do that here. But, we also don't have any oversight whatsoever, so it's a trade-off, I guess.

Also, keep in mind...every state runs their club soccer programs differently. There are national guidelines as well.

So, what might apply where I live very likely doesn't apply elsewhere.