Menu

MATH -If you knew then what you know now

My little is in 2nd grade, but I wanted to ask this question to the parents out there who have already taken their children from the beginning to college level maths .... If you knew then what you know now, which math program would you have chosen from the beginning and stuck with?

thanks

Angela

I am not swift enough to teach with those texts. I need my hand held in the maths...I wish I had read more books on TEACHING and Understanding Math myself...before starting.

I wish CLE would have had their Sunrise series for my olders.

I wish i hadn't hopped around and stuck with Saxon or BJU or A Beka....BUT PICKED ONE and stayed with it...maybe supplementing with some other things like Miquon for hands on experience.

I am planning on staying with CLE through 8th grade and the switching over to Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 for the remainder of High School. (Don't want a war with the Math Police, BUT this parent likes TT and it does the job....'nuff said.)

Faithe

Not at all an answer to your question ....

On seeing the title of your post "MATH - If you knew then what you know now", I couldn't help but think that with my aging brain I only wish I knew now what I knew then!

And, on a more serious note, we began homeschooling with a 7th grader. If I were to start again, I'd begin with Lial's Basic College Math (which we didn't do at the time). I'd then continue with what we did use -- Lial's Beginning Algebra, Jacobs' Geometry, and Lial's Intermediate Algebra. My daughter moved on to the community college for Precalculus. (Had we done it at home, we might have used Lial's or perhaps Life of Fred.) My daughter also took AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers which is a class I'd recommend.

Regards,

Kareni

We did Singapore from beginning through 6B and through NEM 3 (I even ordered my books from Singapore). I'm glad we did their Extra Math Word Problem books.

Mary Dolciani Alg 1 and II w/ Trig

Wish I had taken oldest DS straight into Calculus rather than having him use Forester's Pre-Calc and then Calculus books.

AP Statistics ( I teach this with PA HSers )

One thing I am really, really glad I did, was to NOT stress over the boys not knowing their math facts in 2nd grade, or 3rd or 4th or 5th. We practiced constantly, CONSTANTLY. The aim was always to try to do one more problem then last week or last month. I made up drill sheets using Math Worksheet Factory and several times a week they did one worksheet---just a 4 minute drill---do as many problems as possible. That's all. Constant, sustained practice. Just last week my 8th grader did a few math drill sheets in basic facts. There were 100 problems on the sheet and he wanted to know if 1min 45 seconds was fast enough. :) It is but in a couple weeks he'll do them again. He's finishing up Mary Dolciani Alg 1 book and his knowledge of math facts is helping him so much in Algebra.

Carole

Either Rod and Staff or BJU. If cost were an issue, Rod and Staff.

My reason is because I've learned over the years that math is a tough spot for my dc and they have more opportunity to really 'get it' if the material provides plenty of practice problems on each concept. These two programs do that. Saxon and TT did not work especially well for my dc.

If your child has a naturally good bent for math, he will probably do well with whatever you choose. try to stay with the same publisher if you can.

Susan

For my older kids Singapore through 6B, now starting Foerster's algebra and it's great. My eldest was the guinea pig : ) He went straight into Thinkwell Intermediate Algebra after singapore-managed OK but it was hard for him. Then he did Geometry in "real" school (that only lasted a year) and then Lial's algebra 2 with trig and Lials precalculus. He's taking calculus now with Larson's. Next kid will get Foersters for Algebra 1 and 2 and Jacobs for Geometry. Not sure about pre-calc.

HE complained that Lial's was too "nuts and bolts" and not enough theory. I see his point, but in fact IMO he had an excellent preparation for calculus so no complaints there.

Oh and I used Gelfand's Algebra for him and will use it too for second ds.

Youngest has math issues : ) Singapore was not doable for him-way more problems on a page (in 1B and 2A) than he could manage. We are in Rightstart D now and it's the right program for him, or for any child who is not "math intuitive". It *really* builds a good understanding of mathematical concepts with an eye to higher math study.

Probably Singapore up tp 6B, with lots of extra practice on the side.

I honestly dont know after that- ideally I think NEM, but I would either have to have brilliant math kids or someone in their lives who could help them.

In real life...I wish I had used MUS for my dyslexic, LD kid. I didn't for various reasons and I regret it now. Not that Singapore wasnt good...but I think MUS and Singapore together might have been good if we had had the luxury of time starting at the beginning.

I have used many programs with my three very different learners and everyone has learned math fine. With the oldest, it was ABEKA in first grade in school, then BJU for two years, then EPGY through ALgebra, Jacobs Geometry, Foerster's ALg. 2 (the only one that didn't work well at all), and finally Saxon Advanced Math. Second one has had Miquon, then Saxon through pre-algebra, then Jacobs Algebra, then three methods for Geometry, and now CD ALg. 2. SHe will have CD pre-calc next year. THe last one had Miquon and Saxon for a few years, then Horizon, then one year of Calvert Math, then LOF.

You are all so awesome for answering! I'm in the position of first time homeschooler (although we have been doing it for two years) who still just hasn't found the right fit. I am really tired of trying and changing. That is why I truly appreciate your input. I would love to find something and stick with if for a while. We are in the beta book of MUS, but it just seems like there is a link missing ... the one between my kid and the video screen! :001_smile: I have been looking at Math Mammoth and Singapore ... and until yesterday had never even heard of most of these upper level math programs! (I know that's quite a few years away.)

Thank you so much for your time

Angela

My little is in 2nd grade, but I wanted to ask this question to the parents out there who have already taken their children from the beginning to college level maths .... If you knew then what you know now, which math program would you have chosen from the beginning and stuck with?

thanks

Angela

Since I have a large gap between sets of children, I acually CAN do with my little ones what I now wish I had done with my older two.

So, I use Singapore PM alongside Miquon until Miquon is done (including the word problem books which I saved from the older two, and bought the lower levels of for the little ones before they went out of print). After this, I plan to use Singapore secondary math (either NEM or the newer program now available) alongside MUS or Life of Fred.

I wish I had never stopped using NEM with my second son. He started complaining that he didn't like math anymore, and since he is very good at math and math had always been a favorite class of his I started looking for something else. In hindsight, this was a mistake. He was simply complaining because for the first time in his life math required him to put in some effort. I will not make this mistake with the younger two. (He is now using MUS, which is really easier than he is capable of. I suspect that the math in his physics course actually demands more of him than the Pre-Calculus course he is taking now. Next year I plan to get Life of Fred Calculus, and possibly the LoF Algebra 2 and Trig books in case he has missed a topic he needs for that. This is still a tentative plan, however, since he really prefers straightforward teaching to story-based instruction.)

With my oldest, who struggles greatly with math, I should have moved to MUS after Miquon. We tried Singapore, Making Math Meaningful, Saxon, and even Spectrum Math. The only thing that allowed him to progress beyond the base he created with Miquon was MUS, heavily supplemented by extra teaching and examples from me. (MUS has allowed him to complete math through Algebra 1 and will finish Geometry in time for graduation this spring, but in reality all the skills past Miquon are shaky and still need frequent reteaching and review.)

Math U See.

It is just the BEST fit for our family. Period.

I think one really must find the BEST for thier own FAMILY. With everything, but especially math. There is a huge range of math ability for both the parent/teacher and the student/child.

Some parents can teach harder textbooks. Some can't. Some students need challenge, others need lots of guidance and practice. Even withIN a family one math might not be the best fit for each child.

Experiment with different programs NOW while you child is still young and math SHOULD be teaching mainly the basic facts. I experimented in the middle school years because of the mistaken mindset that I should push my children to do the most rigourous math possible. I also experimented with math programs that were the most popular here at WTM.

I KNEW that my children doing MUS were learning and progressing and understanding. But, MUS is not a favorite "rigourous" program. Sigh. LOL:001_smile:

Find what YOU enjoy teaching and find what YOUR child can do. Of course, push your child to the BEST of HIS/HER own ability! I'm not saying "slack off"! Read lots and lots of opinions. Look at every book that you think you might like. Choose ONE program by the 4th/5th grade and follow YOUR choice to the end.

My humble opinoin,

Pam

If I had known what my youngest dd's issue was with Miquon, I would have sucked it up and bought the workbooks and then photocopied every page so she could have the black ink on very white paper that she needs. I didn't know why she couldn't deal with the Miquon pages. It was two years before I figured out that she needed high contrast between the ink and the paper as part of her visual processing issues.

I would not stick with the same program all the way through. I like what I did with my older girls.

all of Miquon

followed by Singapore 3A-6B

Lial's BCM, if needed (my two older girls didn't need pre-algebra)

either Jacobs Algebra or Kinetic Books Algebra I

Jacobs Geometry

Kinetic Books Algebra II

either Lial's Precalculus (but I think it's actually called College Algebra) or Chalkdust Precalculus

community college for the rest

MUS was a disaster here. Miquon worked beautifully and was an amazing program for my two older girls, but didn't work for my youngest because of her visual processing issues. Singapore worked wonderfully for my two older girls. The presentation of concepts in Singapore was perfect for my youngest, but she needed a systematic review of everything to go with it. I tried several other programs with her (Professor B, MathSteps, Moving with Math), but they didn't work for her. Now she's using the Key to books. Since she is working in a different book each day, she never has more than a week between hitting the topic, so she doesn't have time to forget how to do it.

BJU all the way, from Algebra 1 on, w/dvds.

Ds was our math experiment. Disaster, Saxon, Chalkdust, TT, all no good. He did BJU for the first time for Algebra 2 and said it was the best math year ever.

Dd did BJU from 3-9th grade (thru Algebra 1), it was a great fit, then I tried Chalkdust for Geometry, I changed back to BJU mid year. I won't change unless she goes three times faster than BJU and needs harder problems. BJU is plenty rigorous for us.

I've decided to save rigorous for college, I'm tired of killing myself and my kids :)

Here's what I would do for K-12, with the info. available to me at this point:

Rod and Staff for K-8, with a variety of problem-solving books thrown in at various times.

Frank Allen's Algebra One, with various other things thrown in at various times (NEM, Dolciani, Welchons, Russian Circles, etc.)

Moise and Downs' Geometry (with various other geometries, here and there)

Frank Allen's Algebra Two, with other algebra 2 books for more varied practice problems (esp. Dolciani).

Calculus - same as above - one base program with other problems from a variety of books for extra practice. Haven't decided on base program yet.

And a history of math book. We have a few which our dc are required to read. It's up to them to find the time to fit them in. They're also expected to make time to read bio's, etc., now and then.

And plenty of mathematical logic books. Our dc just finished Suppes' first book, "First Course in Mathematical Logic". This is a little different than the other logic books recommended in WTM. They did all those more for their language arts skills.

Edited by ksva

You are all so awesome for answering! I'm in the position of first time homeschooler (although we have been doing it for two years) who still just hasn't found the right fit. I am really tired of trying and changing. That is why I truly appreciate your input. I would love to find something and stick with if for a while. We are in the beta book of MUS, but it just seems like there is a link missing ... the one between my kid and the video screen! :001_smile: I have been looking at Math Mammoth and Singapore ... and until yesterday had never even heard of most of these upper level math programs! (I know that's quite a few years away.)

Thank you so much for your time

Angela

Angela, we've all been in the position of first-time homeschooler and know how scary it can be! You are way ahead of the game, as you are thinking and asking great questions.

Beyond the immediate questions you are asking regarding curriculum, I recommend that you consider a couple of questions, including:

(1) Is your child old enough that you can evaluate area(s) of giftedness? For example, is your child great at Math? hates Math but loves music and art? great at reading, but hates Math? Some curriculums are better suited to different types of learners.

(2) What is your goal for your child in Math? What kind of instruction do you think your child needs to meet your goal (e.g., lots and lots of drill, emphasis on word problems, emphasis on mental math, repeated cycles emphasizing concepts and drill)?

(3) If you are simply looking to see and evaluate various curricula, check curriculum availability from your public library before you order anything. I've been amazed what I have been able to find in my public library! (And I really like being able to see and evaluate something before I plunk my money down!) If you have a curriculum fair in your local area, that can also be a good way to "eyeball" curricula for yourself.

(4) Are you comfortable teaching Math? (And up to what level are you comfortable teaching Math?) Some curricula are great IF you can teach the material. If you are relying on the instruction of others (e.g., via DVD), that will narrow your focus to certain choices.

Hang in there! :grouphug:

Not all the way to college level yet...but so far for elementary if I could redo I would:

Dd#1- stick with Singapore all the way (which was dropped because it was BADDDD for the next two)

Dd#2-R&S up to high school

Dd#3- MUS all the way from the beginning

Ds-R&S

I would also agree with Pianoplayer about holding off on the spending until you've seen a curriculum. These are some of the ways to view curriculum (not just math):

- homeschool conferences

- ask other hs'ing moms to let you take a look at their curr.; ask them how they used it; ask them if they liked it and why or why not; etc.

- your local hs group might actually have a hs library with many kinds of curr. which you can check out, test, and take your time with

- Interlibrary Loan if your library system doesn't already have it

- local colleges and universities may actually have some of the stuff you want to view

- some cities actually have stores which sell hs curr.

- churches sometimes sell hs curr. if they have a bookstore. You don't have to be a member to buy.

- If all else fails, you can order it, look at it, and return it for a small fee.

At any rate, I'd take my time and view many different curr. before deciding. It takes a while to understand exactly what to look for and exactly what would help you the most. It did me, anyway. And you can avoid wasting an awful lot of money if you take your time and discuss it with others (dh, friends, board, etc.) as you go.

Also, you might want to start thinking about HOW you teach math as much as WHAT curr. you will use. In hindsight, the actual process of the teaching was just as important as the curr. itself. Wish I'd figured THAT one out a long time ago. :tongue_smilie:

HTH

Kathy

Did you realize that you are suppose to watch the videos and then teach it? Many people miss this because they skip the intro. portion of the video.

We actually watch it together 2-3 times. Then I sit down with her, the blocks and some good old scratch paper. It just seems like I'm (she's not either) not getting anything from the video (or the TM). I know lots of people have great success with this, but like I said for us something is missing. I have realized through this that I am not a "mathy person." I can do calculus all day long, give me one good example of anything and turn me loose .... but don't expect me to understand what I've done .... I can just do it. KWIM?

Angela

sorry...it really depends on the kid.

Two things I think we did RIGHT:

1) using a few programs for each level

2) changing up as necessary

What math my kids have gotten has been SOLID. Maybe my daughter could have gone further sooner (Calc II and Stats by 16). Maybe there is SOMETHING somewhere I missed to give my son more (he's DEFINITELY stuck, but he's only 14). But what they had, they had/have WELL which I think is much more important than how far along they get how quickly.