Menu

Seton Faith and Freedom Readers....

mlgbug

I have the F&F Readers from Seton for grades 1-3. When I started homeschooling my oldest, she was fully enrolled with Seton. Even though my children aren't enrolled anymore, I still use the readers. I use the OPGTR as my base for teaching reading and I supplement with these. There are kind of like Catholic Dick and Jane books. My son really enjoys reading from them. He's almost finished with the pre-primer. I wouldn't use them as my only book for teaching reading, though, because they don't progress is a regular phonetic manner, if that makes sense. It's more like sight-word reading.

But, like I said, my children have enjoyed them, and I feel good letting them read from them. The pictures in them are very nice!

I love them for the repetition. My 8yo ds uses them. I teach him the words by phonograms and then he mostly sight reads them. I do *not* let him guess! If he doesn't know it right off, we sound it out again and discuss the rule involved (SWR rules.)

I think they are a very good basic reader with good, wholesome, CATHOLIC stories (so if you are not Catholic they might not be what you are looking for.;))

(This was a method that I found in a books called "How to Teach Your Dyslexic Child to Read" if anyone is interested.)

if you would like to entertain an aternative, I cannot recommend highly enough the Catholic National Readers. I have the whole set and have used them from the begining.

I absolutely adore these books and think they would be a wonderful core for language arts for years to come and a lovely heirloom.

These books are such a blessing! They are the CNRs in my sig line.

Have them all, love them all. I use them for school, but my kids read them for enjoyment as well. They are a nice mix of stories, including the expected ones about Jesus and the Saints, but also including classics like "The Little Red Hen." Many of the stories are about Catholic family life and how children can live out the virtues. The kids aren't the sickly sweet, perfect kind, but struggle sometimes to do the right thing.

Some of our books are so "loved" on a regular basis that they are almost falling apart. :001_smile:

Two of my dc started reading with them. One wouldn't do readers at all, so it wasn't F&F that she didn't like but readers in general.

I don't know where you're from and if it would be practical, but when I was at the IHM conference in VA last June, Seton had lots of used F & F readers for sale. If you are anywhere nearby, you should go in any case.:)

We enjoy them here, although only have the 3rd grade ones, so I don't know about the earlier grades. If you don't mind the dick and jane style pics and old fashioned stuff, it's fun. My son enjoys reading the stories out loud to me while I'm making dinner and we have some good conversations about them. Sometimes Seton sells them cheaper at conferences, and also bundled together.

• 4 weeks later...

This might be a little late... We own the set grades 1-8. My oldest wasn't really interested. He learned to read on his own early with no instruction. He's an advanced reader. When they give snippets of stories in later grades, he had already read the entire book. He would glance through and read for fun sometimes.

My second DS did learn to read with the readers, along with OPGTR. He was a late/reluctant reader, and he did enjoy them. For some funny reason, these seem to be favorite carrying around books for 3-5 year olds at our house. Maybe because they see older kids with them, I don't know.

If you haven't found any used ones yet, let me know. I am getting ready some auction stuff and going to sell grades 1, 2, and 3.(have duplicates of these grades, long story.) Grade 1 is very used, but grades 2 and 3 are new.