Menu

SOTW schedule

kellycbr

Does anyone have SOTW broken down in a spreadsheet or some type of schedule that I could copy? Or do you have any suggestions on how to quickly go about doing this myself? We just started homeschooling this week, and I realize I need a way to schedule and plan all the lessons or it feels like we're going no where fast. Really, it all feels a bit overwhelming right now, but if I take a few steps towards organizing myself, it would help tremendously. I'm looking for all 4 volumes, but only need 1 & 2 right now. Thanks!

There are two free plans that might be helpful to you. The first was made by Kay in CA. She has it available as a fee download on Lulu. It breaks SOTW down into a 2 day a week format. It is an actual workbook with great pages for narrations, projects, etc.

Kay's Workbook

The second is a schedule using SOTW over a year and integrating other resources (history pockets, etc.). It is also a free download from the Free Curriculum Project. It has versions using SOTW or A Little History of the World and it has versions including Pre-History or not.

Free Curriculum project

These are both for SOTW 1 only. I believe Kay in CA is currently working on a workbook for SOTW 2.

HTH

Welcome to homeschooling :)

First, let me say, take a deep breath, and give yourself a little time to adjust :hat:

You've taken on a lot, but you will find your way.

A couple of questions before offering advice about scheduling SOTW:

1) Do you have the AG?

2) Are you using SOTW 1, or 2, or both?

3) If you're trying to use both in one year, consider using just one at a time!

I generally spend a week on each lesson. I divide the lesson into two parts. In the first session, I read the chapter, and have my dc answer teh questions in the AG or make a narration page. During the second session, we read library books recommended in the AG, and my dc color the maps found in the student pages.

If your dc are young, you might want to break up the chapter into two shorter lessons.

Since there are 42 chapters in SOTW, and we don't do history for 42 weeks in a year, I sometimes cover two chapters in one week. For example, this week, we read about the Black Plague, and then quickly moved on to Henry the 5th!

Sometimes we do the projects as well.

Does that help?

I'd like to look at Kay's workbook, but I can't get it to open up. I keep getting an error message every time I try to open it. Could it have been moved?

Regena

I wasn't able to open the workbook at first on my Mac using Preview. It wasn't until I downloaded the latest version of Adobe (8) that I could open it without the error message. If that is not the problem I would click on the customer service through Lulu and ask, they have been good at sending me quick responses in the past.

HTH

Welcome to homeschooling :)

First, let me say, take a deep breath, and give yourself a little time to adjust :hat:

You've taken on a lot, but you will find your way.

A couple of questions before offering advice about scheduling SOTW:

1) Do you have the AG?

2) Are you using SOTW 1, or 2, or both?

3) If you're trying to use both in one year, consider using just one at a time!

I generally spend a week on each lesson. I divide the lesson into two parts. In the first session, I read the chapter, and have my dc answer teh questions in the AG or make a narration page. During the second session, we read library books recommended in the AG, and my dc color the maps found in the student pages.

If your dc are young, you might want to break up the chapter into two shorter lessons.

Since there are 42 chapters in SOTW, and we don't do history for 42 weeks in a year, I sometimes cover two chapters in one week. For example, this week, we read about the Black Plague, and then quickly moved on to Henry the 5th!

Sometimes we do the projects as well.

Does that help?

Thanks for your encouragement! I have SOTW 1 and the AG. We're on the Jewish People right now. I'd like to finish 1 by September. Ds(7) will then be going into "2nd grade" at home so I'd like to start SOTW2 in September to stay on the rotation schedule. Do you think I'm rushing it? We both love history and are having a lot of fun learning. Trying to stay on track with all the curriculum has me a bit stressed, so I was hoping to find a way to list out SOTW in a schedule or lesson plan to keep on track, and apply it (the plan or spread sheet ) to all the other curriculum. What do you think I should do?

and September is 7 months away. That's roughly 28 weeks, and you have 36 chapters to go.

What I would suggest is that you look over the table of contents, and decide which chapters you think you would like to spend a little less time on. Remember that your dc is in first grade, so this year is meant to provide a gentle introduction to history - not a comprehensive overview. Feel free to spend more time on the things that interest you (and him : ) the most, and to spend less time in other ares.

If you're a native of India, for example, you might want to spend a little more time on teh chapters about India. If he's fascinated by other cultures right now, spend more time on China, Africa, Ancient Persia. If he's crazy about gladiators, spend extra time on ancient Greece, and combine chapters about things that you think will be of less interst to him, or you : )

I tended to combine chapters about other cultures when we did SOTW 1 last year; not that I don't think it's important to study them, it was a matter of choosing where to focus my time and effort.

For example, I covered Chapters 30 and 31 in the same week, and chapters 32 and 33 in the same week, leaving extra time for Julius Caesar, who was my 5 you ds' hero at teh time ;)

My other suggestion would be to look through the projects in the AG. For some chapters, you might not do any projects at all; for others you may find projects that are perfect for your ds.

Try not to combine chapters in the weeks when you do projects :)

If you don't finish by September, that's OK too. We did some remodeling toward the end of last year, and didn't finish SOPTW 1. I picked up where we left off when we started this year in the fall, and moved into SOTW 2 from there.

HTH!

I am currently using SOTW 2 with my 6 and 8.5 year olds. We did SOTW 1 last year.

We do 2 chapters a week. While I read they do the coloring page, then after that we do the review questions orally and then we do the map. This takes us roughly 30-45 minutes total depending on how into it they are. If they seem interested in a specific area we read other library books for "bedtime" stories as we always do read aloud time at 8pm just before they head up to bed.

HTH

Does anyone have SOTW broken down in a spreadsheet or some type of schedule that I could copy? Or do you have any suggestions on how to quickly go about doing this myself? We just started homeschooling this week, and I realize I need a way to schedule and plan all the lessons or it feels like we're going no where fast. Really, it all feels a bit overwhelming right now, but if I take a few steps towards organizing myself, it would help tremendously. I'm looking for all 4 volumes, but only need 1 & 2 right now. Thanks!

I saw you got a lot of good suggestions for SOTW1. There are blank scheduling forms for SOTW2 (and the other 3 volumes) here. KathyJo, who made them, says,

"These planners have five columns labeled Story of the World, Core History, Read Alouds, Readers, and Notes. The Story of the World column has SOTW already scheduled for the entire year (volume 1 for Ancients, volume 2 for Medieval). These are six weeks per page."

• 2 months later...
What is meant by core history? What would go in that column?

My statcounter caught this thread, so I thought I'd pop in with an answer. :)

When I used these schedules, that was the column where I'd put additional spines that would be used, biographies, any history specific books to be read. It helped me to plan a more balanced year of reading if I mentally separated "history" books from "lit" books, which I'd place in the "Readers" column. Naturally, there's often some overlap between the two, so if we already had a "history" book planned for that week, I'd put an overlap book in the "reader" column, and vice versa.

HTH. I've considered changing those sheets up a bit, but I wasn't sure if anyone is even using them or what changes would be desired. If anyone has an opinion, feel free to drop me a line.

I looked at chapter lengths (short/less than 10 pages, medium ~ 10 pages, and long/10 pages+) and then spaced them out over 36 weeks. Using the activity guide and WTM recommendations for literature I scheduled readers and read alouds. Then I filled in extra history readings (library books) as suggested by the guide. My kids (8 and 6) do fine with a whole short or medium chapter in one day and then we do other related activities and history readings during the week. I break up longer chapters over 2 days.

So on my scheduling page I have a row for SOTW chapters/pages/topics, another row for activity guide activites/pages, another row for additional history readings, and a final row for literature readings. Actually, I guess there's one more row where I put a list of things we'll need for that week (supplies for projects, library books, etc.). :)