Menu

Russian Anyone?

Hello Everyone,

I purchased Rosetta Stone Russian for my dd. She really seems to like it, but because we are not familiar with the cyrilic alphabet, it makes it difficult for her to sound out the words for "boy" "girl" etc. Anyway, my question is for anyone out there who can recommend a book or lesson program that can help her with the reading aspect of russian that she lacks.

BTW: the reason she is learning russian is because dd competes in rhythmic gymnastics, and her coaches all speak russian (but not very good english) so... we are trying to bridge the communication barrier.:tongue_smilie:

Hello Everyone,

I purchased Rosetta Stone Russian for my dd. She really seems to like it, but because we are not familiar with the cyrilic alphabet, it makes it difficult for her to sound out the words for "boy" "girl" etc. Anyway, my question is for anyone out there who can recommend a book or lesson program that can help her with the reading aspect of russian that she lacks.

BTW: the reason she is learning russian is because dd competes in rhythmic gymnastics, and her coaches all speak russian (but not very good english) so... we are trying to bridge the communication barrier.:tongue_smilie:

They're called "propis" ... but I'd probably do it from websites instead. It's probably a solid week worth of hard studying to memorize the letters and sounds, but then you've got it and it's very straightforward (completely phonetic). If you google "cyrillic" you'll get a bunch of links with the alphabet and she could make flashcards or a list to study from, or words to copy... it's probably not worth a whole book on the subject, just a little focused work.

No real curriculum, but when I asked our 17yod about the Russian alphabet (she loves languages), she made a couple of suggestions.

She said she already knew the Greek alphabet, and learning the Russian alphabet was easy because of that.

It helped her to make a copy of the Russian (or whatever lang.) alphabet with the associated sounds for each letter next to the letter. She put this beside the Russian text, and used it to pronounce each word as she read through the text. Tedious at first, but slowly she made the effort to decrease the use of the sheet, until, eventually she could pronounce all the words. (Hope that was clear??)

Also, my 17yod says that this program is pretty good. She found it in our library system. Here's her quote:

"I don't know if I've ever seen another program that explains the pronounciation and has the cassettes that you can listen to."

http://www.amazon.com/Pronounce-Russian-Correctly-Tania-Bobrinskoy/dp/084424287X

She also says, "A sheet might work better for reading through a text because the idea is that you glance at it and you can go back to reading and you'll still have it in your mind - whereas, if you have to dig through flash cards, you'll forget more easily".

HTH

Kathy