Menu

Teaching academic and organizational skills to your logic stage student

swimmermom3

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I enjoyed reading it again.

Where did the folks who posted in this in 2010 go? I see names of people I remember & miss reading their posts. Are they on the high school board or just gone?

Some post less frequently; most still post on the high school or college boards. Several, like me, are no longer homeschooling since our kids are now college aged.

When this thread began in 2010, my son was in the thick of college applications. He had some acceptances and was waiting to hear from a couple of other colleges. It is a good thing that we stressed the hands on as well as academics. My son is majoring in a very "hands on" field, archaeology. In fact, he spent seven weeks at a field school in Britain last summer, four of the seven being spent digging up a second century Roman well. A team of three was responsible for digging four meters down, shoring the well so it would not collapse, drawing and documenting every step of the process and all finds. There are those who pooh-pooh group projects; archaeology functions by teamwork. Oral and written communication skills are critical.

I'll give Nan a nudge to see if she has any additional comments after the passage of time.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When this thread began in 2010, my son was in the thick of college applications. He had some acceptances and was waiting to hear from a couple of other colleges. It is a good thing that we stressed the hands on as well as academics. My son is majoring in a very "hands on" field, archaeology. In fact, he spent seven weeks at a field school in Britain last summer, four of the seven being spent digging up a second century Roman well. A team of three was responsible for digging four meters down, shoring the well so it would not collapse, drawing and documenting every step of the process and all finds. There are those who pooh-pooh group projects; archaeology functions by teamwork. Oral and written communication skills are critical.

I'll give Nan a nudge to see if she has any additional comments after the passage of time.

My ds9 will give 6 chocolate chip cookies, 4 pieces of gum, and his best Lego-men if your ds will come and spend an afternoon with us, telling him about his adventures in archaeology.:D

Seriously - How would you prepare a HSer for the group work aspect?

My ds9 will give 6 chocolate chip cookies, 4 pieces of gum, and his best Lego-men if your ds will come and spend an afternoon with us, telling him about his adventures in archaeology.:D

Seriously - How would you prepare a HSer for the group work aspect?

Lego mini-figs might tempt him...

4-H gave my son opportunities to work with others for a common goal. In our area, the 4-H teen council is quite active. The kids do a number community service programs, hold bake sales and car washes to raise money, travel together to weekend events.

For some, scouts or church organizations offer good opportunities for teens. For others, community theater or a musical organization like a youth choir or symphony might be a good choice. You need to see both what your community offers and what your kids are interested in. I think that organizations or activities that let the teens lead the decision making process are probably the most empowering.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread lewelma linked to today - it is priceless!

Do you think we could petition Nan to write a book?  ;)  :)

I've been going through my 7th grade plans this morning, and not changing anything, but noting where I can explicitly focus on the teaching of skills:  outlining/notetaking/rewriting from outlines, Cornell notes from lectures, WEM deep-reading skills, stuff like that.  Also re-commiting to teaching life skills more systematically.

What a wonderful resource the Hive is!  Love you all.

Nan has to recover from having her youngest leave for college and get used to her new post-homeschooling before she can write a book.  It would be too much of a sad trip down memory lane at the moment.  Now if I wind up homeschooling my nephew next year, then I might be able to do it.  At the moment, though, I think I'd rather focus on learning to paint.  And continue to spend time with my parents, the animals, my adult kids and any extras they bring home.  I will, however, try to get back to reread all of this thread and see if I have anything else to add to it, now that I've watched youngest deal with his first year away at college.

Hugs to everyone,

Nan

Whoa.  This whole conversation seems a lifetime ago!

I'm happy to report that my youngest survived all my attempts at teaching study skills, and is now taking no prisoners at the CC, in our state's program for HS students.  An experimental design project (about chicken behavior!) that he wrote last fall will be published in the student magazine this spring.  Son 1.o is graduating with honors from his LAC in June and leaving for the Philippines with the Peace Corps in July.

Re-reading all this makes me feel like my children were educated in spite of my best efforts, not because of them.  I don't know.  We work so hard to be intentional about the content, but what *actually* makes the impact on our children, -- or, I should say, what seems to have made an impact on my children -- is the intentionality itself, not the content.

It was quite a ride.

Whoa.  This whole conversation seems a lifetime ago!

I'm happy to report that my youngest survived all my attempts at teaching study skills, and is now taking no prisoners at the CC, in our state's program for HS students.  An experimental design project (about chicken behavior!) that he wrote last fall will be published in the student magazine this spring.  Son 1.o is graduating with honors from his LAC in June and leaving for the Philippines with the Peace Corps in July.

Re-reading all this makes me feel like my children were educated in spite of my best efforts, not because of them.  I don't know.  We work so hard to be intentional about the content, but what *actually* makes the impact on our children, -- or, I should say, what seems to have made an impact on my children -- is the intentionality itself, not the content.

It was quite a ride.

Hello my friend!  Happy to hear news of son 1.0 since our boys are of the same vintage.  My guy graduates from his LAC in May.

Indeed quite a ride!