Menu

I'm considering a nature study approach to science...

arcara

I'm kind of wondering how to do this.

With our schedule, Thursday afternoons would be a good time for us to go outside and observe things. Do you just let your kids find something that interests them, or do you have some kind of "assignment" like, "Today we're observing leaves." I was wondering if you make your kids do any written work along with their observations and drawings. This would mainly be for a middle grades student...Do you make them go look up something related to their observations in a field guide? I'm wondering how to ramp up the difficulty a bit, say for a 5th grader, so that I can feel ok about letting this count for science.

I'm considering more of a LCC approach to our homeschool with less emphasis on science until 8th grade. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I'll be watching this thread! I'm contemplating a very similar thing for Science for us next year too.

Have you checked out Barb's blog, The Handbook of Nature Study? She has some wonderful ideas, and her children at home are in high school.

I have some other blogs that might help you with some ideas listed on the right side bar of my Without Excuse blog--link in signature.

I have done it various ways. Sometimes we are reading about something in particular and we go outside in search of specific items. Other times they go outside with their notebook in hand and armed with nature/field guides, magnifying glass, binoculars, etc and investigate whatever caatches their interest.

This time of yr some general ideas are migrating birds, conifer vs. deciduous trees, hibernating vs. non-hibernating wildlife, location of the sun and length of days (track the days get longer), and depending on where you are geographically, snow studies or early emerging spring plants, etc.

Square foot nature study is another approach:

http://www.squidoo.com/squarefootnature

You might find the book Botany in a Day useful. It breaks down plants into families and gives the reader strategies for identifying things. I'd also highly recommend Joseph Bruchac and Michael Caduto's books, Keepers of the Earth, or Keepers of Life. They use Native American stories to introduce science/nature study concepts, then each story is followed by scientific information and activities.

We used them as a spine for a unit on Native Americans and nature study. For succinct background on specific topics - ie, for a nature journal entry - they worked perfectly. And you could use some of the activities if they work for you.

Good luck!

Heather

This is kind of an offbeat idea, but it has worked here. My dh is an avid fisherman, and has brought our kids along on fishing trips. This alone is a full nature study course in the summer months. Fish, insects, what the fish eat, where they are in the creek during the different times of year, spawning, creekside plants and animals, tracks of other animals on the banks, edible plants of the area, fruit and nut trees etc. So, if you have a spouse, friend, grandparent or neighbor who fishes and will take your dc, then great!

But if not, then I say, pick an area and really be there every day. Go at different times, and take field guides, animal track guides, magnifying glasses, binoculars, journals and pencils, collection jars and bags for "treasures". Go in the morning, the afternoon and the evening. When you notice something, follow up as thoroughly as you can. My kids have really loved a local guide to edible plants in our area. I am no expert, so if we are not sure we don't, but many of the local plants are safe and edible (and never ever mushrooms--I am not that brave!) A place with water of some kind (pond or creek) seems to draw my kids natural curiosity and hold it loner than any ohter type of area.

Don't forget local state or national parks. Not all of them are huge and sprawling and most of them have excellent nature centers dealing with the local plant and animal life. Many also run free or inexpensive classes in the summer months on various topics for kids. These are great places to start

I also highly recommend the Handbook of Nature study book and definately the blog of the same name another poster linked to. She has a nature study "assignment" series all laid out to help those new to the idea and the book.

Project Feeder Watch through the Cornell Lab or Ornithology is a wonderful resource for doing nature studies in your backyard. You can keep feeders and a birdbath and participate by sending in counts, or take part in the Great Backyard Bird Count next weekend, or take part in the Pigeon Watch if you are a city dweller. The Ornithology Lab has a terrific guide for homeschoolers that is a free, downloadable PDF, and has all kinds of science activities. They also have a college level ornithology course if you really get addicted! Here is a collection of links to all of these wonderful resources:

Project Feeder Watch

Great Backyard Birdcount

Cornell's All About Birds

Project PigeonWatch

You also should browse the selection of books on nature journaling at Amazon. I'm not at home, but am pretty sure we have Keeping a Nature Journal by Claire Walker Leslie. You should also pick up some wildlife, bird and insect guides for your area, a small pair of binoculars and some magnifying glasses. Don't forget to take advantage of naturalist led hikes or opportunities to look through the telescopes of local astronomy clubs.

The idea of nature study, bird watching and keeping a nature journal is to hone observation skills -- measure things, notice how they change over time and what else changes with them. It also teaches you how to categorize things -- how is a robin different from a hawk or duck or sparrow? What characteristics does a species have in common and just how different to they have to be to be different species. Why do some leaves have rough edges? How is the soil in the garden different from the soil in another part of the area? Why do some birds ignore the bird feeders? What might they eat instead? Why do mourning doves sit on the fence during a downpour instead of seeking shelter (we've never answered that one!) It seems simplistic, but this is the real work of scientists -- observing, taking measurements, making notes and wondering about connections and cause and effect.

Our bird feeders and bird bath are outside our kitchen window along with binoculars and a couple of guides. It's been a while since we did nature journaling as my high schooler has enough formal academics to keep him busy, but we always enjoy our birds and find ourselves buying area bird guides whenever we are in another part of the country.

I'm kind of wondering how to do this.

With our schedule, Thursday afternoons would be a good time for us to go outside and observe things. Do you just let your kids find something that interests them, or do you have some kind of "assignment" like, "Today we're observing leaves." I was wondering if you make your kids do any written work along with their observations and drawings. This would mainly be for a middle grades student...Do you make them go look up something related to their observations in a field guide? I'm wondering how to ramp up the difficulty a bit, say for a 5th grader, so that I can feel ok about letting this count for science.

I'm considering more of a LCC approach to our homeschool with less emphasis on science until 8th grade. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I am planning on doing something like this for my two elementary schoolers next year (will be 5th and 3rd grade). They have done nature study before, but I want to require more.

My current plans for next year's science:

2x week---Go outside. Choose something to observe (birds, dog, squirrels, rocks, clouds, rain, snow, sleet, grass, tree, insect, etc.). Look at it carefully. Try to notice details about how it looks, what it does, etc. Try to identify it. Either draw it, photograph it, or bring a sample of it in for your nature notebook (samples for leaves, grass, other small non-animate things). After getting in, research your find in our field guides, Handbook of Nature Study, internet, and/or one of the books we have on hand. Under the illustration on your notebook page, write a paragraph or so about what you observed and what you learned through research.

3x week--Read from a book about science (library or one we own). Narrate orally 2x week. Make a notebook page 1x week (1 or more paragraphs, illustrated if desired--my daughter loves to draw, her younger brother does not). Sometimes I will let them choose their own books to read through (with my approval to make sure the book is appropriate for their level), and other times I will assign a book.

Obviously, the 5th grader will read more difficult books and write in greater detail with more analysis expected from her. This has the double benefit of allowing my 5th grader to focus more on the life science topics she is fascinated by and of being far less expensive than BJU Science 3 and 5.

A very beautiful book that we have enjoyed to add to nature study is The Rainbow Book of Nature by Donald Culross Peattie. The illustrations are the 50's style, not glaring photos as some other books. I enjoy this immensely, as does my 9 y/o. You could easily add in experiments and hands-on activities with each chapter's readings.