Menu

What school supplies that are not considered typical do you find indispensable?

We are color-coordinated here too. Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, Purple and the baby on the way will be Orange.

Love the color coordinated boxes, scissors, pencils, pens... Everything. Yes, even towels, toothbrushes, dishes. I can tell exactly who left what where. Makes my day much MUCH easier.

I find our playroom indispensable. It is next to the school room and it occupies the youngers. Great!

And I agree with so many others- COFFEE!

Hot cocoa. Can't start a day without it, and it does wonders for getting into the right frame of mind for both ds and me.

Yes on the hot cocoa. Now that I have an immersion blender, the Mexican hot cocoa is deadly easy to prepare.

I was not so into the index cards until I discovered the corner cutter thingy. Now I round off one corner of the cards so that you can always tell which way is correct when you stack them. (Should I even be admitting how much I love that tool?)

So, right. Immersion blender and corner cutter. :D

Edited by Nicole M

Yes on the hot cocoa. Now that I have an immersion blender, the Mexican hot cocoa is deadly easy to prepare.

I was not so into the index cards until I discover the corner cutter thingy. Now I round off one corner of the cards so that you can always tell which way is correct when you stack them. (Should I even be admitting how much I love that tool?)

I've owned a corner rounder for YEARS, and never thought of this!

I was not so into the index cards until I discovered the corner cutter thingy. Now I round off one corner of the cards so that you can always tell which way is correct when you stack them. (Should I even be admitting how much I love that tool?)

I didn't know about this tool, but I love EG's flash cards with the one rounded corner!! Will you post a link?

I've started using the Avery business card sheets (that can be sent through the printer and then broken apart) to print flash cards and would love a rounded corner for sorting!

I didn't know about this tool, but I love EG's flash cards with the one rounded corner!! Will you post a link?

I've started using the Avery business card sheets (that can be sent through the printer and then broken apart) to print flash cards and would love a rounded corner for sorting!

I know! I love those EG flashcards. That's what gave me the idea. I bought mine at Target for $5 in the memory book / office supply section. It does not look like this one, but it's the same idea:

http://www.officezone.com/carl6a.htm

Seriously, the big earmuff kind that people use at shooting ranges and at construction sites. They are great when I hear, "mom, I can't think because XX is making too much noise!"

Jeri

This would be great for ds1, he often sticks his fingers in his ears out of frustration from ds2's noise.

Would you mind sharing where you got a child size one?

The kids each have one of these lap desks - love them!

They have a groove to keep your pencil in when it's closed, and separate compartments for books and writing utensils inside.

I've been looking for lap desks like these! I actually looked in B&N on Sat and didn't see any. Thanks!

You're helping me with German curriculum and now this. :001_smile:

man, this post is giving me some great ideas!!

I like my little $1 spot pocket charts

the lazy susan with buckets for supplies on our school table

I'm planning to invest in a nice desk chair for myself and some child-sized earphones for the kids to use at the computer.

• 3 weeks later...

can't live without: laminator, hole punch, plastic bins, calendar / planners, post-it notes, binders, color pencils / crayons / markers, & my ipod / mp3 player w/ headphones (which can make school very portable!!)

but most important....start the day off with coffee! - cuz if mom ain't happy nobody is! :o)

• 5 months later...
Large cafeteria tray for messy projects. When they were little we used it for things like puzzles, painting, playdough...now it's science projects, scrapbooking, etc.

Great idea...can think of many uses for a couple of these. Where would I find them? Any suggestions?

Pam

Oops, sorry...question has been asked and answered. Need to read entire threads before posting my question!

Edited by jpklehm

cookie sheets or trays to contain projects

main lesson books with lined paper on one side and drawing paper on the other, and some with drawing paper with pages separated by onion skin

Prismacolor pencils

the trampoline

a cookbook stand to keep the math book up and in view

camera

Legal pads

clipboards

multi colored gel pens

suits, blouses, pumps, accessories (all the above is prep for speech and debate)

loads of copy paper

printer ink and more printer ink

computers for all students (nothing fancy, just so they can do Rosetta Stone, papers, video lessons, debate prep, etc. without quarrels).

memory sticks for all students

coffee and chocolate for Mom and also chocolate in supply for hormonal daughters

Silly putty. The dog. The cat. (They greatly reduce bordom - mine and the children's.) A sofa big enough for us all to sit on. Ditto a glider or something outside. A direct source of heat so we don't freeze when we hold still (like a fire). Lots of nature to study. Interlibrary loan. Magazines. Rocking chairs. Clipboards so they can work on their laps and in the car easily. A tape recorder or CD player or ipod, both to listen to books on and to block out distractions. The internet. Tea (for me).

-Nan