Menu

Teaching kindergartener about medieval times? Any ideas?

I just found out that a huge medieval faire is coming to a town about an hour away from us. What a great field trip opportunity! It's next weekend LOL! I'd like to get in some lessons about medieval times for my kindergartener....just a simple introduction. I'd like to throw some lessons together this weekend so we can begin learning on Monday.

Any ideas? Websites?

About Medieval Faires - you might want to talk to a few people with similar tastes/values as your family that has attended the same fair in the past and ask them about the atmosphere.

I was going to go to the annual fair in our area when my children were young elementary - and after talking to a number of people who all said the same thing - I decided against it - basically they said the atmosphere was not very family friendly for those with young children.

I'm sure that's not the case for all such fairs, and probably certain times/days are better than the rest - but I thought I'd just throw that out there.

You could also check their schedule to see if they have a day for school field trips that may have extra events geared just toward the kids.

We are about to start Medieval times in study with my oldest, and I know my 4yo would be interested. I found a great book about Knights by Gail Gibbons at the library that is just his level.

We have only been to a festival a few times, prior to kids. The ones we went to had plenty of kid-friendly activities, and a good atmosphere, but that was also a decade ago! Hope you find this fair is one you want to attend with family, because what a great opportunity. :)

The Reading Rainbow episode on Rumpelstiltskin (#412) has LeVar visit a similar fair where he meets craftsmen and performers (and even Queen Elizabeth-- it's really supposed to be a Renaissance fair, though the craftsmen and such are similar to what you'd see in a medieval-type fair as well). If your library has it, it could be a fun start. :)