Menu

9th grade science

Right now, I'm not planning to do Biology in 9th. However, there are more options than one.

-Integrated physics/chemistry I think would be something like Apologia Physics, which is usually an 8th grade program, and I agree that one option is to do that in 9th.

-Another option is to do Conceptual Physics, which is a high school physics but not as math-intensive as straight "Physics."

-If you use Beginnings Publishing, they do Chemistry before Biology, so Chemistry is another 9th grade option. They have a several-week math "bridge" program if needed for the math.

-I've also read about several homemade-type sciences used in 9th on these boards, including earth science, geology, etc.

I'll be listening to see whether you get even more ideas for me to think about, as well.

Julie

I'm doing (or have done) Bio in 9th with all of mine. Two have completed it and one will do it next year.

Then my oldest did Marine Bio in 10th, Chem in 11th, and Physics in 12th. He's not heading into a science field.

My middle son is doing Chem in 10th, will do Advanced Bio and Advanced Chem in 11th, and Physics as well as Microbio (probably) in 12th. He's headed into a science field - up till now it was going to be Biomedical research, but now he tells me he's not sure as he loves Chem too.

My youngest will do Bio next year, Chem in 10th, and who knows what thereafter. We'll tailor it to him when the time comes based on what he wants to major in for college.

Our oldest dd will be in 9th this fall (!!) I'm trying to decide on science for her. She is doing Apologia Physical Science now (thru' co-op). The next logical sequence is Apologia Biology in 9th. But, her good friend, who is a year younger, plans to take Biology at cc (101 & 102) when she enters 9th grade (my dd will be in 10th grade at that time). So, I am considering holding off doing Biology till 10th when dd can take it with her buddy at cc (of course assuming she passes the cc placement test).

So, what should dd take in 9th? My idea was -

9th - ???

10th - Biology 101 & 102 at cc

11th - Chem 101 & 102 at cc (if Bio goes well)

12th - Physics (maybe at cc)

Dd is very interested in Marine Biolgy (perhaps as a major in college, but she still has a lot of other ideas) - I noticed Apologia has a Marine Bio course, but it says you need to have biology before taking the course - Has anyone taken this course? Would it be too hard for 9th grader w/out biology (she has taken bio in elementary grades..and little with Apologia General in 7th). Or any other curriculums for 9th grade beside Biology? I read about Conceptual Physics - where can I find out more about this? (never hear of it..)

Any thoughts/ideas/insights would be very helpful!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6) :)

I read about Conceptual Physics - where can I find out more about this? (never hear of it..)

Any thoughts/ideas/insights would be very helpful!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6) :)

Here is a thread on Conceptual Physics that might be helpful. Note that the post is tagged "Conceptual Physics". Click on the tag for even more threads.

Best,

Jane

Our oldest dd will be in 9th this fall (!!) I'm trying to decide on science for her. She is doing Apologia Physical Science now (thru' co-op). The next logical sequence is Apologia Biology in 9th. But, her good friend, who is a year younger, plans to take Biology at cc (101 & 102) when she enters 9th grade (my dd will be in 10th grade at that time). So, I am considering holding off doing Biology till 10th when dd can take it with her buddy at cc (of course assuming she passes the cc placement test).

So, what should dd take in 9th? My idea was -

9th - ???

10th - Biology 101 & 102 at cc

11th - Chem 101 & 102 at cc (if Bio goes well)

12th - Physics (maybe at cc)

You've got three of what I consider to be the four major branches of science listed. The missing one is earth/space science, so that's what I vote for in 9th grade. I believe some high schools follow the earth/space sci - bio - chem - physics sequence.