Menu

Phonological Processing Disorder and other quesitons

I just had my son tested through the local school district. He is receiving a small amount speech therapy. (Homeschoolers are only allowed 30 minutes 4 times a 6 weeks period). They have told me that he has no learning disabilities. I have not gotten the official report yet (they are dragging their feet), but I do know that he did score lower in one area than the others, but it was within the average range.

We knew this amount of speech therapy wouldn't be enough so we got an evaluation at a local university. He started two weeks ago. He goes for 1 hour twice a week. (It is also an hour there and an hour home so it takes up a large part of our day.) They think he has phonological processing disorder and not just articulation. Do you have an good resources for me to learn more about this?

The university uses Barton for teaching reading. They started him on Barton level 1 this week and starting next week they will be sending home things for us to do at home. Next week they will also start on dealing with articulation issues. Both places agree that he has severe articulation disorder, but are taking different approaches on treatment.

I have suspected dyslexia for awhile, but I don't know for sure. If we had the money my husband and I would love to have him tested so we would have a better idea of what is going on with him, but we can't afford it at the moment.

My other question is with all of this going on with my son I am not sure what else I should cover with him. I don't want to confuse or overwhelm him, but I also don't want to hold him back either. He is in 1st grade and just turned 7. I have not started formal grammar, history, or science because I was focusing on reading and math. He is great at math, but does have trouble with number reversals. He doesn't like writing at all. I know he is smart and ready for more, but he also really struggles. He can barely read CVC words, but yet has memorized some of the things he has heard me teach his sister. (grammar definitions and Greek alphabet song) Any thoughts on how to start formal subjects with him? I would love for him to do copywork, but I am guessing right now it wouldn't have much meaning for him other than maybe handwriting practice.

My son has some lds and starting when he was in K, we did the Classical Conversations memory work at home. He was very good at memorizing those facts. Someone might bring up something in a conversation that related to one of his memory verses and he would spout it off and everyone would think he was so smart. After a couple of years of the CC memory work, he moved on to http://www.sheppardsoftware.com and learned the locations of all the countries and their capitals. He was so proud of this and it made him feel so smart. He then took a geography class at our local coop and on the last day they had a geography bee and that kid was in heaven because he knew all the answers and all his classmates wanted him on their team.

So, I think what you mentioned about your son memorizing a few things might be an indication that he would enjoy something like CC. Becoming an "expert" in an area of interest can be a real boost to the ego for kids with lds.

Lisa

Whether your son is officially diagnosed with dyslexia or not, the teaching is pretty much the same: incremental and comprehensive direct instruction to mastery. Having him tested won't necessarily give you any more specific info to remediate him.

Barton is a very thorough program and many people purchase it and use it at home. There are other good programs available that are cheaper and have a slightly different approach, as there are flavors of phonics instruction.

As for formal instruction, this is what I am using with my non-reader (though she would technically be in 2nd grade, I have "held her back" and am doing 1st grade work with her)

History: I am using SOTW, however I am going much slower. Most chapters I break up into several readings and I have projects and outside reading that I add in. If you want to see some of my lesson plans you can PM me.

Science: I am using the Pandia Press science curriculum. It's been great. There is some writing, but I have her write what she can then fill in the rest.

Art Study: I printed out six painting from an artist and we talk about it. We talk about the artist's life and influences in general terms (eg. Mary Cassatt loved Japanese prints, here is a Japanese print and a painting by Mary Cassatt, what looks the same?) We compare paintings among the artists we have studied and I have her do memory work with the paintings.

Art: I use the Draw Write Now series. My daughter loves these so much I haven't actually used them as a curriculum as she pulls them out all the time.

Cooking: A friend and I made up a cooking curriculum using Mrs. Rileys page builder. We put recipes together using pictures (2 cups of flour, would have a picture of two cups then a picture of flour). The steps were sequenced 1, 2, 3, etc. This way they don't need to be able to read but can feel competent.

HTH!

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(2)