Menu

Can I get opinions on BJU Pre-algebra with the DVD.

Stacy in NJ

We've finished up Singapore 6B and have been doing extra challenge stuff for awhile. I think it's time to move on. I'd like a good strong pre-algebra that reviews arithmatic and introduces algrebra without getting into the meatier stuff yet. Although dyslexic, ds is a strong math student. He does better with programs that give concise explanations without being too wordy. I looked at the BJU sample with the DVD. I liked the sample because I thought ds would benefit from a good teacher instructed lesson, rather than suffering

through my "teaching". Math is not my strenghth. I just made it through Singapore. At this point, it's either a good DVD/CD program or a tutor. I also thought he could stay with BJU through Calculus, keeping a systematic program. I also want he on a more traditional ps track. In all likelyhood he'll go to high school. I think it's possible that he'd test into the algebra book, but I'm okay with using the pre-algebra at a fairly quick pace, simply to get him acclaimated to a more traditional approach. I don't really expect him to work independently yet. I'll watch the lesson and work through sample problems with him. I like to keep a close gage on how he's doing (I only have two kiddies, I can handle it:D)

I've looked at TT and felt it wasn't a good fit.

Soooo, any BJU pre-algebra users out there? Ground control to Major Tom?

Thanks, Stacy

I've taught BJU Pre-Algebra twice, and I'm planning on using it again. I didn't use the dvds, but most of what I've heard on here about the BJU dvds is that they're very good.

It's a good, thorough, challenging program. The explanations are not overly long in the TM (don't know about the dvds, but he *could* just fast forward through what he already knows). You can't go wrong with it, IMNSHO! :)

I, too, have used BJU Pre-Algebra several times and will next year with my youngest (sniff, sniff). I've not used the DVDs, though I have used an upper-level math on DVD from Bob Jones.

Some thoughts for you:

1. If your son is strong in math and much of BJU will be review, you *really* may not need the DVDs at this level. The instruction in the student's text has almost always been enough for my kids and the TMs contains additional teaching suggestions for the few (1 or 2) times the children needed a bit extra.

2. The TMs outlines which problems to assign for a struggling, average, challenging program. I believe (based on the Geometry DVD program that we are using) the DVD teacher follows the average track. I have always assigned the challenging track to my children....

3. You mentioned "going faster" for the stuff he knows well. This is where using (or at least getting the benefit of) the DVDs will be most challenging. All classes/lectures take 45 minutes (*possibly* only 30 at the Pre-Algebra level, but definitely 45 min for Alg. on up). I don't see how you could go much faster unless you just skipped the lectures (in which case why get the DVDs?).

We do use DVD math programs (not only BJU, though) for upper level math because I feel my children (even the strongly math-inclined) do much better with actual instruction. However, Pre-Algebra is enough of a transition year that I've been happy to take the (minimal) time needed to work with my students through the BJU text.

HTH,