Menu

Rod and Staff English question

Amy in CO

I started my 8th grade son in level 6 and regretted it. At first it seemed too easy, then quickly became very hard. My youngest has used R&S all the way through, so now level 6 seems easy-peasy. If I could do it over, I would whip through level 5 with an eight grader first, then move on.

(Also, concerning the embarrassment factor, we always cover our hardcover books with grocery sack paper, so we don't have to look at the goofy covers and that number on the front. ;))

I started my 5th grade dd in level 5 and it was tough. Luckily she likes grammar so we were able to get through it. She is in Level 6 this year and there have been times where we had to slow down. I can't imagine starting at level 6 without much grammar experience because the publishers assume the student has a solid background in grammar.

I would start at level 5 and if it seems easy just go faster. When you're finished, your dc will have a solid foundation on which to build.

I would also start at Level 5 Rod and Staff. I made the mistake of starting a level 7 for my older kids, thinking that they were prepared from their years of GUM (Grammar Usage and Mechanics) and Easy Grammar, and boy was I wrong! I have had two younger children use Rod and Staff, and I'd say level 5 is an appropriate place to start.

Aretemama

I agree to start the 7th grader in level 5. For the fifth grader, level 5 would probably be fine too unless you wanted a good two years of easier grammar before it got too hard, then start with level 4. Level 6 definitely ramps it up toward the middle of the book.