Menu

MCT Operator said it was a disgrace...

Tohru

that my 7th grade son had no formal grammar experience yet. :blushing:

She asked if he had been in public school, and I meekly said "yes" because he was in PS in kindergarten for 2 weeks.

Anyway, she suggested starting at Island but the font would drive both of us crazy. She never answered my real questions, so I thought I would ask here since I've started dreaming about MCT now.

Is Voyage that much harder than Town? In the samples it just looks like presentation is different. Is it content too?

Could my son start at Voyage instead of Town?

Next, could we do Caesars' English I with Voyage or does CE1 have to go with Grammar Town?

Or should I hold off on the vocab and skip CE1 altogether and start using the middle school package when he's ready for Magic Lens?

Thanks a bunch.

MCT Operator said it was a disgrace...that my 7th grade son had no formal grammar experience yet

Oh, dear! That was inconsiderate of her. I started my 8th and 9th graders in Magic Lens 1. They have had a lot of grammar but were not retaining well. I would not suggest Magic Lens 1 for a student who had not been exposed a bit to a formal grammar program. While it covers all the bases (parts of speech, punctuation, etc.), it does move at a quick clip. I would think it might be best to go through one of the earlier levels first - then move to Magic Lens.

I started my 13yo son at the Voyage level but he had also had Hake 6 and 8 previously, though it wasn't retained. I wouldn't use Island level materials with a 12yo. I think if you were to start at the Voyage level you would need to be prepared to go slowly.

MCT Operator said it was a disgrace...that my 7th grade son had no formal grammar experience yet.

I don't have any experience with this program, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you ended up dealing with someone who showed so little respect for you & your son. :(

That remark was completely uncalled for ~ as you said 'operator', I'm guessing this is a large company that pays people to answer calls for orders? I hope the calls are recorded for QA and someone catches that. [thought I'd be tempted to call them back and let them know just how inappropriate that comment was]

I'm not an MCT groupie, but I do have a set of the Voyage level here. I've been using it a bit with my 12 yo ds and he finds it somewhat beneath him. He keeps saying things like, "yeah, yeah, I already know that mom." He's very bored with it so far, prefers CLE or BJU. I really do think your child, despite not having any formal grammar yet, may find anything below Voyage level quite simple and childish. :confused: I don't know, perhaps I am wrong. You know your child better than I.

Is there a reason you want to use MCT over a more traditional approach? I know there is a lot of MCT buzz right now, but there are A LOT of excellent curriculum out there that will get your ds up to speed. I can personally attest to BJU as well as CLE. You would not want to start either of them at level though as the 7th grade levels assume previous learning and zoom along at a quick pace. I wouldn't worry at all about beginning in either of their 5th or 6th grade levels though. Anyhow, just a thought. I do like MCT, but I truly don't see it as better than the previous programs I have used. :confused: I don't care how much people talk it up...it's grammar. Plain and simple grammar. My ds personally finds the MCT grammar far to chatty, and the stories about ships boring. But that's him.

Town and Voyage grammar both work on the same material. The big difference in these two series is in the writing portion. CE II reviews all of CE I although in much less detail. I would look at Town or Voyage, we picked Town because of the writing portion. Town starts with paragraphs, Voyage with essays.

Edited by melmichigan

jadedone - that operator was out of line. Isn't there an educational philosophy of no formal grammar until high school? Perhaps you've been discussing informally for years just in your reading or writing - just b/c you've done no formal grammar, doesn't mean he doesn't know grammar. I really think you should email Dr. Tom (the owner of RFP) about this. I've met him twice and he seems to be a very nice man. I know MCTs sore point is that schools have dropped grammar. Perhaps she automatically assumed that your son was coming out public school. At any rate, she should NOT be making any judgements but rather trying to help you decide which level. Other posters have posted how helpful RFP operators were in asking questions about what their child knew about grammar. Looks like you got the wrong person on the wrong day. sorry.

Anyhow, I would NOT start a kid his age at Island level. Each of the books review. If w/ no grammar, he will catch on quickly just to being exposed to language and reading and writing all these years.

In the MCT homeschoolers catalogue, it says that kids in 5th grade generally start in Town or Voyage level and children in 6th grade begin more readily with the Voyage level. The grammar books are the easiest part of the program. If you're only interested in grammar than it's either Town or Voyage level I think for your DS. BUT if you're going to do the writing, I would base your grammar level on his WRITING level. Essay voyage appears to be a giant step up from Paragraph Town. Someone commented that she (Matroyskha???) there could be a level between the writing levels.

Grammar Voyage covers:

parts of speech: noun, prnoun, subj pronouns, obj pronouns, poss pronoun, adj, verb, conj, coord conj, sub conj, preposition, interjections.

parts of sentence (subj, pred, agreement, dir. obj, ind. obj, subj comp., phrase, prep phrase, obj of the prep, appositive, verbal, gerund, participle, infinitive)

Clause: indep and depend

Sentence structures: simple, compound, complex, compound-complex

Sentence purposes: declarative, imperative, interrogative, exclammatory.

While my son could do grammar voyage, the writing book, Essay Voyage would be challenging for him. Since I have a younger child, I started with Grammar Island for my 4th grader. I would NOT do that if he were in 7th grade unless there were severe learning disabilities involved.

I hope I've helped you since the operator was no help.

Capt_Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura

She asked if he had been in public school, and I meekly said "yes" because he was in PS in kindergarten for 2 weeks.

Anyway, she suggested starting at Island but the font would drive both of us crazy. She never answered my real questions, so I thought I would ask here since I've started dreaming about MCT now.

Is Voyage that much harder than Town? In the samples it just looks like presentation is different. Is it content too?

Could my son start at Voyage instead of Town?

Next, could we do Caesars' English I with Voyage or does CE1 have to go with Grammar Town?

Or should I hold off on the vocab and skip CE1 altogether and start using the middle school package when he's ready for Magic Lens?

Thanks a bunch.

Too funny on the grammar fan operator! She'd faint if she knew that I never learned the formal names of parts of speech until I was in my 40s :)

My son is 14. He's not at all like PP's son who doesn't like silly stories. My ds can't stand formal grammar workbooks and he ASKED to do MCT today when I was going to skip it :)

Last year (7th) he did an overview of basic parts of speech. This year, he's doing ML-1 and it's going fine. The hardest part for (both of us) is clauses, but I'm finding there is review throughout MCT so we just emphasize it when we come to anything with clauses, plus we use a cheat sheet with some hints. For instance, this week we went through any sentences in Paragraph Town (the writing book) that had 4-level analysis with clauses, so we could review the different kinds of clauses.

I haven't seen any of the other grammar books, so I can't comment on whether another level would've been best he hadn't had the 7th grade exposure.

CE-1 is a favorite here, and we use it even if it doesn't match the ML level. There is still reinforcement of some of the same words and all of the same thinking. However, you should probably hunt for some of OhElizabeth's posts for a different view on CE-1 for older (or younger advanced) kids.

I don't know if you're thinking about the writing program, but those books are probably the most different in style from level to level. We have PT, EV, and AW. My 14yo absolutely loves the goofiness of PT and begs for more (it's not long, but we read each chapter at least twice and do various of the exercises). He also very much needed to *hear* some of the lessons on taking organization seriously in his writing. But a more serious 14yo might be put off by the goofiness of two ducks talking :)

Julie

Well first, that's something people get fired for. I'd write an email to someone. Next, I wouldn't put a 7th grader in Island, sorry. I'm not dissing Island, just saying that's hauling an older dc back through childish material (ducks talking???) for no reason. You could put your dc into Analytical Grammar, which is WRITTEN for his age and MEANT for exactly this situation, and be fine. Have you looked at the practice books used in Analytical Grammar after you finish the short teaching session? See AG is somewhat similar to MCT, in that you spend a certain number of weeks teaching the grammar upfront and the rest of the weeks reviewing. Go look at it. You have that teaching period, and then they have practice sentences the student works through daily, just like MCT does. But with AG you'd be in age-appropriate material, topics and themes that would be INTERESTING to a 7th grader, and you wouldn't be sifting through hundreds of sentences. (There are 100 practice sentences in each practice book/level of MCT. How are you supposed to sift through that???) Nope, you could spend tons of money and do multiple levels of MCT, or you could just buy Analytical Grammar. I don't even use the thing (so no flames, haha). I'm just showing the logic. Same approach, just a more age-appropriate, concise mix for an older dc.

We are using MCT alongside R&S6 (just because I am chicken of giving up the tried and true). I chose the Town Level because of the other components. I knew that he was not ready for Essay Voyage as I was told by the gentleman who helped me on the phone (who was a pure delight by the way - sorry about your experience) that it is quite a jump from PT. Also, both of us have had little exposure to poetry and I thought it was important to start at this level. I feel my son could probably have easily started at the Voyage level for grammar but I do not regret choosing the Town level. I like the consistency value throughout all the components. Also, I definitely wanted to start him in CEI as he is weak in vocabulary.

Hope my rambling helps you somewhat. Sorry for your bad experience on the phone. It is the first I have heard. My experience was excellent. :grouphug:

Thanks a bunch.

First of all this sucks. I am sorry for you. That is totally uncalled for, BUT... to play devil's advocate (as I often do)... did you clarify that your kid only went to PS for 2 weeks in K? Or did you just say "yes" and leave it at that?

I think that she was thinking that you had just pulled your kid out from PS and he had had no formal grammar instruction there. If that were the case, she would have every right to say it was a "disgrace", as PS should be teaching formal grammar at some point before 7th. Probably a reason you would've pulled a kid out of school. As a HS however, you can really decide when to teach something... and she didn't ask if your kid had been in private school... ala waldorf (where I don't think they would cover formal grammar til much later either). I think she has a bad opinion of public school. I do too. A lot of us do.

I don't think she would have said this at all if she knew how long and when your kid was in PS. I also think she would never have suggested Grammar Island either.

I think it was a communication problem. I don't think you were particularly clear, and possibly misleading... which you can't do if you are trying to figure out the "appropriate" level.

My opinion... as I am a person who frequently has things come out of my mouth strangely... (and keyboard)

I just re-read my above post and it is quite goofy. I apologize for not making my point well.

I do not feel like clarifying, rewriting or editing however.

:tongue_smilie:

Hopefully, you get my point... somewhere in there... and don't take it as an assault on you either. Not my style...

xoxoox

k

Ug. That was not an appropriate comment for the operator to make. Especially since I am interpreting your story to be that she made the disgrace comment before asking if your child was in public school. (In which case, who can blame you for fudging. Ick.) This is not at all like the contact that I've had with them (but that was only over email). Hopefully she was just having a bad day and making bad assumptions as a result!

I noticed that you have received some great examples of how different people are using MCT for their situations. Realistically, though, I don't think we could make the best recommendations for your particular situation without a little more information. So much depends on why you are wanting to use MCT, and on your child's personality, learning style, and abilities in other areas.

First of all, how does your child feel about stories? Some young people your child's age are very sensitive to anything that could be construed as babyish, while many others really love a good story, especially if it has some humor in it. Obviously, the answer to this question will have a lot to do with the best approach for you to take. No matter how much someone else's child just loved the stories, if yours considers those babyish then you're probably wasting your time. At the same time, just because someone else's child thought the stories were horribly beneath them does not mean that your child will feel the same way. For many children (even older ones) stories can be an enjoyable way to learn.

Secondly, which components are you wanting to use? If you are just interested in grammar and vocabulary, then you could probably go with one of the higher (potentially less "babyish") levels without having to worry about the writing being too difficult. I'm thinking at least Voyage, or possibly ML1. As others have pointed out, the grammar is reviewed in each level, with the higher levels adding in more advanced concepts and applications as well as the basics. You could just move at your child's pace. (Which is pretty much how you have to use MCT anyway, lol)

Third, if you are wanting to use the writing as well as grammar and vocab, then how much experience has your child had with writing? From what I know about the writing books, they don't review to the same extent that the grammar books do. The Island level focuses on constructing sentences, while the Town level focuses on developing paragraphs, and the Voyage level begins working on essays. If you are concerned about your child being ready for the essays, you could start with Paragraph town. If you are concerned about too much of the babyish factor, you could do a higher level of grammar and just use the Town level for writing. If you are very concerned about the babyish factor (to the extent that you think even Town may be too babyish), AND your child isn't ready for essays yet, then it may make sense to do some other writing program first or instead.

Okay, now I'm dizzy from trying to imagine all the different scenarios! (I have a migraine, so that might have something to do with it, too.:tongue_smilie:)

MCT operator said it was a disgrace... that my 7th grade son had no formal grammar experience yet.

I didn't learn grammar formally until college, and while my case is sort of a disgrace, I still managed a graduate degree in linguistics (lots and lots of grammar). So, in the words of Paul Simon "my lack of education hasn't hurt me none...." and in the words of me, "whatever," to her.

Thanks for all the replies and support.

First of all this sucks. I am sorry for you. That is totally uncalled for, BUT... to play devil's advocate (as I often do)... did you clarify that your kid only went to PS for 2 weeks in K? Or did you just say "yes" and leave it at that?

I don't think she would have said this at all if she knew how long and when your kid was in PS. I also think she would never have suggested Grammar Island either.

I first told her my son was in 7th and asked her if she could recommend which level to start him off at, specifically if he could do Voyage with CE1, I told her that he read high quality literature, but had no previous formal grammar experience.

She said that was a disgrace for him to be in 7th with no grammar experience and suggested he start at Grammar Island.

I told her that the font would bother him, then she asked if he had been in PS... at that point I said 'yes' because I was so embarrassed by the disgrace comment. She goes on to tell me that GI is for 3rd grade gifted children, blah, blah, blah and that would be the best fit for him.

I said thanks, felt terrible and promptly came here :)

Edited by jadedone80

I asked her if she could recommend which level to start him off at, asking if he could do Voyage with CE1, I told her that he read high quality literature, but had no previous formal grammar experience.

She said that was a disgrace for him to be in 7th with no grammar experience and suggested he start at Grammar Island.

I told her that the font would bother him, then she asked if he had been in PS... at that point I said 'yes' because I was so embarrassed by the disgrace comment. She goes on to tell me that GI is for 3rd grade gifted children, blah, blah, blah and that would be the best fit for him.

What a twit she was! I've only ever talked to Dr. Tom there, and he was very nice. I'd almost consider joining the Yahoo group and sharing that piece of info - MCT himself and Dr. Tom his main sidekick are both on there and would read it. As we can see here, word of mouth is powerful, and that rep needs a stern talking to. What she recommended also goes directly against the guidelines for "what level to start at" RFWP just published.

No way no how should he start with Island. I'd start him with Town at the lowest - my 6th graders are in Town this year, our first with MCT. I was a bit worried they'd find the talking ducks beneath them, but they found it enjoyable. We're long past reading through it and are now doing the last 10 assignments, which are quite meaty and not at all babyish. I'd pick the level based on how strong his writing is - the other stuff is easier to jump into mid-stream. If you still think he needs work organizing and connecting paragraphs, choose Town. If you think he can handle instruction on writing essays, pick Voyage. Voyage level is not at all babyish - it has a totally different "feel" to it than Island or even Town. If you did choose Town, you could probably work through it quickly and move right on to Voyage in the same year.

Wow. I really can't believe that comment. I'm all for teaching grammar, but I *personally* had no grammar exposure AT ALL until I took "Advanced Grammar" at the college level. I easily made an A. You can learn grammar and diagramming at any age. I don't think my writing was affected by the lack of grammar teaching either.

My son is 14. He's not at all like PP's son who doesn't like silly stories. My ds can't stand formal grammar workbooks and he ASKED to do MCT today when I was going to skip it

I agree. My 12yo/6th grader also LOVES the silly stories. He's had grammar before (JAG, BJU, Wordsmith Apprentice) but he didn't retain a lot. He looks forward to grammar lessons now. I chose to put him in the Town level and am very glad I did.

I'd rather start off at a level my child is comfortable in and build confidence. You can always move more quickly through the materials if needed.

Btw, that comment was uncalled for!

Edited by Handmaiden
added line

I first told her my son was in 7th and asked her if she could recommend which level to start him off at, specifically if he could do Voyage with CE1, I told her that he read high quality literature, but had no previous formal grammar experience.

I said thanks, felt terrible and promptly came here :)

Well that is a horse of an entirely different color, and I humbly retract my devil's advocating. ;)

I think she needs a bit more "training", if you know what I mean.... that does NOT sound like the usual sort of experience most people have with RFWP. I still cannot believe she would even *suggest* Island level. Tell someone there... and sorry! If I didn't want to keep my Town materials, I would just send them to you!

The more I think about it I believe I have talked to the same woman. I will agree she was very abrupt both times I spoke to her. I gave her information on my DD and she went on and on about the program being for 'gifted' kids. My DD is 'gifted', I was considering having her take the course from MCT himself at CTY, but I wasn't going to say that. After some pointed questions on my part she finally transfered me to a gentleman who was extremely helpful. The second time was a very limited shipping question. I would definately mention it on the yahoo group.

Actually--I wanted to add to my previous post that it might make more sense to give your son a grammar introduction with another program that is age appropriate and then if you are still interested in switching to MCT doing it at the Magic Lens level.

Grammar Voyage is probably a good fit for a 7th grader. Each of the levels start w/ nouns and moves forward with less and less attention given to it. Plus as the books go up in level, the print gets smaller so more info is packed into a smaller space. It's just that once you get to The Magic Lens level, you lose the fun factor that the lower levels have. It's a grammar text and not told in a narrative format. So for a very first intro to grammar, I think Voyage is a good level. Now perhaps he wants meat and potatoes of Magic Lens rather than the cake of Voyage. But the Advanced Academic WRiting 1 which pairs w/ THe Magic Lens may or may not work. Grammar is the easiest of the components, so from reading what others have had to say, and reading through most of the levels, I'd say do placement based on writing level IF you're planning on using the writing books and then choose grammar to go w/ it.

Perhaps others can comment on whether it's ok to use different levels of grammar and writing components.

We started the town level last year. I only did the grammar and writing. This year we did Voyage. I chose to skip the vocab my son was taking latin and a different vocab program plus reading classic literature. For us starting at town was a good fit. I felt the grammar portion went slower in town and not as in depth for my son this was good and the writing really helped him because he needed to work on paragraphs before moving to essays.

I don't have anything academic to add to this conversation, but just wanted to point out that it was SOOOO rude of her to say that!!! What in the world would possess her to think that was an appropriate comment???

I am appalled.

For what it's worth, if she was somehow implying (???) that your son would have somehow been better off in public school, please let me hasten to assure you, as a high school English teacher, that precious little grammar is being taught to anyone by anyone. Regrettably, many teachers teaching now are products of the whole-language movement, which de-emphasized grammar. Many teachers -- and I am speaking of English teachers -- would be hard-pressed to go beyond identifying the parts of speech. Few teachers under the age of forty could define what was meant by the term "adverbial clause."

However, no matter what she meant, what wretched customer service. Seriously, I would voice this complaint to her supervisor, because quite honestly, if I had been addressed in that way, MCT would have lost my business forever from that moment onward -- and perhaps I am not the only person who would react in a similar manner.

Too funny on the grammar fan operator! She'd faint if she knew that I never learned the formal names of parts of speech until I was in my 40s :)

And a V-tach arrest for me, who is planning on learning them in her 50's! Maybe I should call up: what level for a woman old enough to be a GM?

They have a truck logo, but I think it's Royal Fireworks.

I talked to a guy there and he was rather abrupt too. If it's Royal Fireworks, remember that THAT is a separate company. MCT doesn't have a company. (isn't this right ?)

I dont' mean folks can be rude and tacky... just that MCT and Tom or whomever he is might truly want to know that MCT's product is being represented in suchan unbelievably rude way.

~c.

I've thought about this thread off and on since I first read it. I researched MCT after reading about it here. But, after 2 calls to the company, I decided not to use it due to the customer service. Maybe others will disagree with me. But, customer is important to me. What if there is a problem with the order? What if I need to make a return? I also could not get a good answer about which level to begin. It was as if I was bothering them by asking questions. There are other wonderful program out there with companies who have great customer service.

I've thought about this thread off and on since I first read it. I researched MCT after reading about it here. But, after 2 calls to the company, I decided not to use it due to the customer service. Maybe others will disagree with me. But, customer is important to me. What if there is a problem with the order? What if I need to make a return? I also could not get a good answer about which level to begin. It was as if I was bothering them by asking questions. There are other wonderful program out there with companies who have great customer service.

If you post on the MCTLA Yahoo group, I'm sure they can answer all your questions. They're very helpful, and Michael Clay Thompson himself posts there. I wouldn't let a crabby receptionist at Royal Fireworks Press deter you from using the MCT materials!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MCTLA/

Jackie

There are other wonderful program out there with companies who have great customer service.

Where are these people? I know a few months ago I was dealing with someone on the phone and I couldn't believe their attitude. Then I realized the accent and I heard one of those alter ego messages: "Earth to Kay, Earth to Kay....this turkey is from Long Island." I lived 10 miserable years in NYC and I just pulled out the loud, rude and sarcastic stops and got everything I needed from him. I had to "speak his language".

BTW, someone did post she returned her order for a full refund. Since I am just going to have to paw through it before deciding, that post was important to me.

I agree the forums (both here and yahoo) can answer most questions about placement and such. But, they do not cover customer service. If the product arrives damaged or isn't what I wanted after seeing it in person; it is the company that will handle replacement or refunds, not the yahoo group or forums. Customer service is just one of the many things I consider when selecting curriculum or program. If I was set on MCT, then I would either ask to speak with someone else or make the purchase anyway. I was torn between 3 different programs. Their customer service was one factor that helped me scratch it off the list. Now, I'm down to 2.:)

After some pointed questions on my part she finally transfered me to a gentleman who was extremely helpful. The second time was a very limited shipping question. I would definately mention it on the yahoo group.

I wonder is she is someone's SIL whom they can't correct/get rid of. Stranger things have happened.

I wonder if RFWP is experiencing a large increase in call volume due to the buzz on this forum. Perhaps they are suddenly getting a lot more calls and are having a hard time maintaining the same level of customer service they used to have?

That could well be... I get the impression that something like four people work there. I've called twice, and once I got a woman on the phone that confessed quite readily that she was just the secretary and wasn't knowledgeable enough about the program to give me an answer, and I'd have to talk to Dr. Tom (and he called me back within half an hour) - I wonder if their call volume has increased to the point that they told her she has to answer customer calls now, and she still doesn't have a clue?

I know they've been bending over backward creating materials specifically for the homeschooling community (mostly at the ML level at this point), and have been very responsive to feedback from the hsing community in how they've prepared them. The homeschool parent manuals are both longer and less expensive than the teacher manuals. I think their intentions are to have good customer service!

I know they've been bending over backward creating materials specifically for the homeschooling community (mostly at the ML level at this point), and have been very responsive to feedback from the hsing community in how they've prepared them. The homeschool parent manuals are both longer and less expensive than the teacher manuals. I think their intentions are to have good customer service!

:iagree:

I'm of an older generation, I guess. I don't expect companies to understand homeschoolers, or to have time/interest in our teaching methods. I don't expect people to like that I don't teach grammar until 7th grade. I don't expect companies to want to answer multiple questions about an individual child regarding one set of books, when they are used to selling dozens to school districts in a well-ordered system. None of these things were common when I started looking into homescholing, and I am wowed when any one of these things is better than I expect!

It still hurts & the OP deserves a hug, no question. I love forums for this very reason. But I'd personally like to give a little grace and appreciation for a company that is trying to understand all of us and making more affordable packages for us. I am very encouraged by the amount of effort that is being made, even if it isn't instantaneous or complete or exactly how I'd do things (that's why I love that I can homeschool!).

That's my 2 cents.

Julie

YEs, if you check the yahoogroup, Dr. Tom has been quite responsive to suggestions made by HSers on how to better market the products such as putting edition dates on the books since MCT tends to tweak and tweak and tweak. But certainly, rudeness is never acceptable and that is something easily fixed.

If this helps in any way, I called about shipping yesterday and found the two people I spoke with to be quite unfriendly.

I was surprised because their notes on this board as well as the yahoo group seem to be very helpful and customer-service focused.

I also had less than stellar customer service on the phone - I placed a large order several months ago, and received a box with only half of the materials in it. I thought maybe it was being shipped in 2 boxes, so I waited a few days. When I didn't receive a second box, I called and asked if my order was being shipped in 2 boxes, as I'd only received half of the books (I was very polite and nice about it). The lady I spoke with seemed irritated about helping me, wasn't very friendly, and in the end said they would ship out the other half of my order. No apology or I'm sorry it all didn't get shipped or anything.