Menu

Book suggestions for 8 year old boy?

Nestof3

I looked at the Encyclopedia Brown series today at the library, but just have to say I wasn't impressed with the name-calling. Call me odd, but I want something that will be interesting, uplifting, etc.

He loves history and science, but also loves A. A. Milne, E. B. White and other classics. He has already listened to lots of audio books, which makes it difficult to find books to encourage HIM to read on his own. I was hoping to start a reading program for him while using the www.bookadventures.com website.

He has great reading skills, and loves being read to, but reading a whole book is another matter. He did tell me that he read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh in three days (at night in his bed when no one knew it LOL).

I'm not too worried about how challenging they are -- I want to move him into a place where he is reading on his bed for a few minutes every night. He reads bits of science books and things on his bed, but most of his literature so far has come from my reading to him or his listening to audio book.

Easy chapter books are fine. In fact, they will probably be less daunting at the start. It's hard to find nice, easy, simple chapter books that are worldly, shallow and annoying. KWIM?

My ds loved them at that age.

I like to get ideas by looking at the reading lists in the VP catalog, the SL catalog, and the WTM. If a book is on all three, I know it's a good one.

For easier, faster reads than Narnia, Beverly Cleary books are good. Ralph Mouse, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Henry Huggins, etc.

HTH.

Robert Carnes, The Invention of Hugo Cabret. (Don't let the size of it throw you or him -- half of it is illustrations. Gorgeous illustrations.) I loved this book as much as my son did. If your son is sensitive, you might want to pre-read. The boy has a tough life. You might also point out that it really is fiction. (At the end of the book, the author says he is the boy all grown up.)

Also, has he read the Tale of Despereaux? I am probably spelling that wrong. My son liked it for a lot of the same reasons that he liked the Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh books.

One more: Finn Family Moomintrolls. There may be more than one in this series.

And if he has studied Roman times, be sure he has discovered the Caroline Lawrence series: Pirates of Pompeii, Assassins of Rome, Secrets of Vesuvius, Theives of Ostia. As someone else mentioned, you really have to read these in order. Your library should have them.

Good luck!

Julie

Thanks! I am writing these down -- the ones he hasn't already listened to.

I'm not too worried about how challenging they are -- I want to move him into a place where he is reading on his bed for a few minutes every night. He reads bits of science books and things on his bed, but most of his literature so far has come from my reading to him or his listening to audio book.

Easy chapter books are fine. In fact, they will probably be less daunting at the start. It's hard to find nice, easy, simple chapter books that are worldly, shallow and annoying. KWIM?

(I updated my original post to include this info too).

My 8 yo ds is loving the Three Cousins Detective Club mysteries. They are pretty easy for him - he can read one in about 45 minutes, but he really does enjoy them. I like having some reading that is easy for him - I think that helps him enjoy it more.

I looked at the Encyclopedia Brown series today at the library, but just have to say I wasn't impressed with the name-calling. Call me odd, but I want something that will be interesting, uplifting, etc.

I just want to say thank you for asking this question. Ds7 is reading the EB books right now, & your heads up tells me maybe I didn't preread enough. I'm sure glad to know there's name-calling! I think I'll have to go back & look again. Bummer, but really, *really* glad to know now than later!

I just want to say thank you for asking this question. Ds7 is reading the EB books right now, & your heads up tells me maybe I didn't preread enough. I'm sure glad to know there's name-calling! I think I'll have to go back & look again. Bummer, but really, *really* glad to know now than later!

I cannot remember the words now, but I remember being disappointed when I perused a couple of them. My boys remember those sorts of words succinctly after we read a book, and I spend all of my energy (it seems) correcting them. After reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (which I love in so many ways), I have had to stop my boys from making jokes about fat people. It seems the most repugnant parts of a book are the most memorable. ugh

I just want a good story. I have that problem with most rate G movies as well. Sure, they're not sinister or anything extreme, but the bathroom humor, the body humor, the words like idiot just convince me to not rent them. I love www.screenit.com for that very reason -- I can see beforehand how many colorful phrases my children will pickup.