Menu

Hooked on Phonics

AnnieM

Okay, I am very new here so please don't blast me for this question...

What is your opinion of the program Hooked on Phonics? They are currently having a sale and I was considering buying something for my 2 1/2 year old. Thanks,

Annie

I would not "bother" buying something for a 2.5 year old in this regard.

That said, I used the HOP reading program to teach my 3 to read and am again using it for my bonus kindergarten student. It's overpriced from the publisher, I would buy from ebay.

My kids loved it -really! They are cheering on my kindergarten student, remembering when they read "Pig Wig Can Hit" and got their star.:lol: It was interesting "enough", had a motivation system built in, and worked for the short, frequent lesson style I embraced for the early years.

It's solid phonics with mostly appropriate sight words.

You could do worse. ;)

(I also tried using Hooked on Math and I was not feeling it)

If you do get it, I would make sure you teach the sight words phonetically, here's how to teach all but 5 of the 220 most commonly taught sight words phonetically:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

I've remediated a lot of children who had too many sight words and developed bad guessing habits from them, I don't recommend taking the risk of teaching them as wholes by sight.

We use both HOP and OPGTR and I find they work well together. DS loves the computer games and LOVES getting to put his stats up when he learned his letters and now when he reads a book. Definitely shop around cause you can get it way cheaper some places. I got mine for 10 bucks each for the pre-k and K levels. For 10 bucks in K level if you get the deluxe ed you get an extra set of books which makes it totally worth IMO.

I used it with my son - k, 1st and 2nd levels all in one year - with success. He loved it and now reads very well (two years later.) We also did Explode the Code workbooks.

We couldn't stand the included cd's, however. They were much too slow for us. Once we ditched them and I began leading him through the lessons, things went very well.

I am using it with my DD 4.5. I bought the K-1 reading program (older version) and she just finished the K set. She loves the little books and progressing through them. I use it with a couple of other things for reading.

They have a lot of great sales and coupon codes. There is a coupon code for 50% off that I just used to buy somethings.