Menu

was your DH always 100% supportive?

WE are testing waters.....

sometimes hes YEEAH sometimes not at all...

we dont have to submit anything untill DD is 6, so there is time ALTHOUGH next year she would go to K....i dont believe i need to submit anything here in ny.....

so im wondering did u have to convince your dh that this was the right choice? did you send kids to PS and he was proven wrong?

tough ....

Yes my dh was always on board 100%. We actually talked about hsing before we had kids, but when oldest was of age to go to K we put him in PS because it was the school near my elementary and we knew it was a great school. We tried to continue thinking he loved it, well 1st grade in another state was a nightmare. When he came home the 3rd week and asked dh if I could homeschool him we started researching it. He stayed in school for another 5 months because I needed time to get prepared and we also had an infant.

We've loved the journey so far and with our military lifestyle homeschooling just fits us so well.

I started with my older ds, Drew, halfway through 2nd grade. The school had issues, because he was bored. They were giving him bad marks, but refused to give him harder work. DH was tentative, he said we would try it for the rest of the year. By summer, he was so proud of the progress we'd made and so relieved to find out ds was NOT a problem child that he's now 110% on board. There isn't even a question (for him) over whether or not Luke will hs. I'm a little tentative, but dh is positive :lol:

If you can teach your child to read then you can teach them anything (or at least it seems that way to me). Your little one is starting to read, right? If so, your dh should already see that hsing is working for you. I think it could be a little harder for you (than it was for me) because he has nothing to compare it to. We had an angry little boy that HATED school. Now we have a sweetheart (who still has a temper, but the tantrums are very few and far between) who enjoys learning. Who even looks through the encyclopedias on his own. :grouphug:

No you don't have to send kids to K in NY. My dd was in K and 1st grade and then happy to come home. I think more often it's harder to bring them home. My dh was behind our decision to try home schooling but really grew into it as time went on. (If you asked him now he'd say he was always very positive.) Your dd is very young and your dh doesn't have anything to compare to yet. Would he let you home school through first grade and see how she was doing?

Well, when I brought up home birth, not so much but by the time I got to homeschool absolutely. I honestly don't think there are a whole lot of things I could suggest that my hubby wouldn't at least seriously consider. I am not terribly adventuous though and by the time I have brought something up, I have already given it serious consideration.

Edited by KidsHappen

yep shes reading....not fluent but i say reading, (you can see in my blog)

he has our 6 year old niece who learned to read this year in catholic school....to compare to...but thats bad, cause then he says our DD doesnt go fluent...so....he forget SHE IS 4....

but im pushing it :) im to the point that i dont care.....i mean i care, alot, about sheltering her, nurturing her and raising her those 6 hours someone else would be :)

yep shes reading....not fluent but i say reading, (you can see in my blog)

he has our 6 year old niece who learned to read this year in catholic school....to compare to...but thats bad, cause then he says our DD doesnt go fluent...so....he forget SHE IS 4....

but im pushing it :) im to the point that i dont care.....i mean i care, alot, about sheltering her, nurturing her and raising her those 6 hours someone else would be :)

I remember :D

Since K is not required, see if he'll give you that year. Don't push her, she'll learn well without it, don't get stressed out, that would be counter-productive. Just teach her. I'm sure he'll see the light.

:grouphug:

We withdrew my dd from school in the middle of first grade. We knew no one else who hsed. My dh had concerns that our kids would be geeky and unsocial. He went to a couple of hs-type meetings and was surprised the parents were "normal." He would make comments about her going to school eventually, middle school for sure. Then it was high school. FOXNews turned his thinking around, I guess (lol), and he began to sing the praises of hsing high school. When I need it, he's my biggest supporter.

I still can't believe we ended up hsing our kids, but it's been one of the best choices we ever made. Dh would absolutely say the same thing. :)

My husband has always been supportive with some days being even more so than me. :) However, I have to say that even if he weren't, we would not immediately ere on the side of his opinion. If he didn't approve that wouldn't mean we wouldn't homeschool. There aren't many hills I'm willing to battle on but I'd wage the war on that one. Just because one doesn't agree doesn't make that one the decider maker. I would as fervently oppose public school as he might oppose homeschool.

it drives me crazy! He is mostly supportive, but on occasion something comes up that rattles his cage. Like if we sleep late and don't get started til 10am - he has a cow. Most of his inner battle comes from being a public school teacher himself. He is constantly comparing what we do to what ps kids are doing, which is crazy since we are classical. He doesn't want them to go to school, but wishes I was a little more rigid and structured with our school day - which is not me at all. I've tried to find a middle ground with a schedule we can all live with.

My dh was slighly apprehensive at first but got on board quickly. I always say that our first year was a trial, which is what we agreed upon at the outset, but he was sold long before the end of that first year. My husband is very open to most any of my suggestions.

Honestly, I am the one who wavers every now and then, questioning our efforts. My dh is the one who talks me down when I'm having a bad day!

I first brought up the subject of homeschooling when my daughter was a toddler. My husband was skeptical at first, and asked all those goofy questions people who don't know anything about homeschooling sometimes ask. ("What about socialization? What will they do for team sports?") So I gave him the coles notes version from my research, and he came around fairly easily. Any lingering doubts were gone by the time my daughter was pre-school aged, as it was pretty obvious she was doing extremely well at home and would be bored to tears in school.

I think one of the things that really helped convince him of the merits of homeschooling was talking to teachers in the school system. We know several women that were teachers but decided to homeschool their kids rather than send them to school. We also had a lovely neighbour who told us how much he'd love having my (then 4 yo) daughter in his second grade classroom, but confessed that she would get absolutely no personal attention because she was clever enough to get by without it. He thought we were making a very good call keeping her home.

Start handing out reading grade level tests to all the neighborhood kids and tutor the lowest scorers while their mom watches your children, make sure he hears them read, that should do it!

My husband has always been supportive of the decision, but the remedial students really make a point.

He has faltered at times, as have I. But we both are fully committed to doing what is best for our kids, and we both believe that to be homeschooling. We both came into our marriage wanting to be a homeschooling family, it was a big thing in the church we both went to and we thought of it as being "the best way". Now we're not so dogmatic, but we both know it's right for our kids. For now anyway. We both want to go all the way through, but we do have one kid who is a major challenge that I think we both are tempted to put in school at times.

I told my Dh when we were dating, "I want a housefull of young 'uns, and I want to homeschool them." He then decided, I guess, that he wanted that to because about a year later we were married. :001_smile:

Of course sometimes our plans are not for that time and our first children were foster children who we had to send to public school. By the time they were adopted he was the one who drove as fast as possible from the courthouse to the schoolboard to register them to homeschool. LOL

One year of public school with two of our girls was more than enough for either of us.

He is very supportive, even now with our youngest daughter still struggling to read and me trying to find fun, educational stuff to do with our four year old who seems to have a brain faster than lightening.

He is still supportive even though this year we are so far behind that I can't even see next year.

He is awesome!

We began homeschooling many years ago, when my 23 year old was 5 years old. Initially it was my dh's idea, because he did not want me to put her in the private christian school that we lived next door to at that time. My dh is very influenced by what others think and has listened for years to all of his ps friends ask him "When are you going to put them in school ? " I couldn't care less what these people think, because I am the parent and know their needs , they know nothing about homeschooling , need I say more. But my dh is difficult in many ways, and this just follows the pattern of how very hard he has been on me in every other way. And to your other question, yes, on the insistence of dh we did put our son in ps twice, 4th and 6th grade, and it was a disaster for him because he has some learning issues and simply does not do well in a classroom setting but needed the one on one tutoring of homeschooling.I had to continue to tutor him while he was in ps and it was exhausting, because I was also homeschooling two other children at the time. Even with the stress my son went through of needing to drop out of 4th AND 6th grade ps my dh continued to hassle me about homeschooling for years after that even though he agreed homeschooling was our only option. I have lived in between a rock and a hard spot in a "Have to homeschool" situation but without any real support or encouragement from dh. Although he acknowledges that yes, that's what we have to do, he has really drained a ton of energy from me with this hostile attitude that is so unreasonable and nonsensical in our circumstances. My dh's attitude in this regard has been very hurtful and exhausting for me. But then my dh gives me a very hard time and meanly criticizes me about other things too such as going to church. I haven't been to church in awhile but I am wanting to go back but I am bracing myself for the opposition from him which I know is coming, due to his past behavior.

If you try to homeschool without dh's full support it will be extremely difficult and you won't have the emotional or psychological energy to put into it that you need. Unless you are in a "have to" situation to homeschool them under those circumstances I wouldn't even recommend it. It will nearly kill you. An unsupportive dh can make life very hard for you.

Those of you with supportive dh's are so blessed.

Edited by Miss Sherry

It took about two years to convince him, so I'm glad I started trying while I was still pregnant with #1. ;) I'd hate to be jumping into this on the fly. When we had ds, I shook my fist in his face and told him we were DEFINITELY homeschooling now, because I would hate to think what a school would do to MY boy. (School wasn't nice to the boys I went to school with.) He told me to chill and relax. "Uh, didn't I already agree to this a few years ago?" :lol:

"Well, yes, but I wanted to make sure!!"

:rolleyes:

Rosie

Yes, Mr. Boo was always supportive of homeschooling. He didn't always like the decisions I made within that framework, but putting the kids in school was never an option to rectify those disagreements.

He is absolutely amazing now: he supports us 110% not only verbally and emotionally, but practically as well.

Even with the stress my son went through of needing to drop out of 4th AND 6th grade ps my dh continued to hassle me about homeschooling for years after that even though he agreed homeschooling was our only option. I have lived in between a rock and a hard spot in a "Have to homeschool" situation but without any real support or encouragement from dh. Although he acknowledges that yes, that's what we have to do, he has really drained a ton of energy from me with this hostile attitude that is so unreasonable and nonsensical in our circumstances. My dh's attitude in this regard has been very hurtful and exhausting for me. But then my dh gives me a very hard time and meanly criticizes me about other things too such as going to church. I haven't been to church in awhile but I am wanting to go back but I am bracing myself for the opposition from him which I know is coming, due to his past behavior.

If you try to homeschool without dh's full support it will be extremely difficult and you won't have the emotional or psychological energy to put into it that you need. Unless you are in a "have to" situation to homeschool them under those circumstances I wouldn't even recommend it. It will nearly kill you. An unsupportive dh can make life very hard for you.

Those of you with supportive dh's are so blessed.

:grouphug:

To the OP: I am thinking that you have a similar marriage to Miss Sherry. Your husband likes to jerk your chain, or knock you down a few pegs, when the mood strikes him. It's not really about homeschooling or reading skills. If your daughter read fluently, or went to school your husband would criticize you just as much.:(

I was interested in homeschooling when the kids were little, but dh was definitely not supportive,and I was not convinced or convicted enough to push it.

When ds was 7, I was living separately from dh and ds was really struggling in 2nd grade. I researched homeschooling and decided I wanted to do it...but I needed dh's support for babysitting while I worked part time (dh works from home). I gave him lots of information- in small bites, printed, on his kitchen table...and he eventually agreed to a 6 month trial, after being very negative initially.

Within 2 weeks....he was convinced. Ds's personality changed so dramatically for the better, and dh bonded with him so beautifully...he insisted on me taking dd out of school too, evne though she was happy there-because he could see that school was an awful environment for kids! He just didnt know there was an alternative, or never seriously considered it. He didnt realise I woudl be completely obsessed and devoted to it, either.

He has been my strongest supporter ever since (and we moved back in together shortly after we started).

What it took was a reason- ds7 was struggling in school....and lots of information. He needed to see it was a viable option.

Mine was a temporary trial and now 5 yrs later I think the trial is still going on. Public school comes up here every so often, unfortunately. It's not that my husband is against homeschooling, but he also doesn't think public school is so bad...since he had a really good ps experience. Unfortunately this was brought up just yesterday when I was complaing about ds's schoolwork. I have one of those reasonably intelligent 10 yr old boys who has a trouble focusing..I went to dh seriously asking if he thought ds was ADD....telling him how distracted he gets. DH informs me that of course he's distracted, that he can understand because this is home. At school the focus is only on school and at home we're doing school at the kitchen table, with the dishwasher running and siblings running around. His point was that he totally understood because he said when he was in college he felt like he would have done so much better in school if he had a schoolish place to study at. He wound up going home, after classes each day, and the temptation of everything else being there took him away from focusing on school. I don't have that issue and my girls don't, but apparently my son and husband do.

I didn't like his point, but I understood. Oh, and the other 4th grade daughter of a man that he works with, does book reports, projects, etc....we've never done a book report yet so husband things we're behind. Maybe we are :tongue_smilie:, but I still want to keep homeschooling. Slow and steady is my theme to homeschool by.

Best wishes,

Alison

My dh completely opposed hs'ing 3 years ago. I did have to wear him down and it did cause trouble in our marriage, but I felt so strongly about it (generally, in regard to our local school system, in regard to each of our kids' individual needs, and for the long-term benefits to our family as a unit) that it was necessary for me to push it. Not that I recomend that approach!

Today, he's definitely my greatest champion and he truly values our hs experience, but he does wish our kids would be more active in the community than they are right now. If I were to suggest we put the kids in school tomorrow, he'd probably want to have me checked out by a doctor and search me for illegal drugs, but he would be okay with the switch.

we there will be alot of this :boxing_smiley:

we had a long talk last night and by the end i was like thi :crying: but with tears falling....

its gonna be a tough battle, harder than i thought...maybe he should see my blog to see all i do....

hopefully in the end, ill be :thumbup: with the rest of you. IF i loose the battle i will continue to afterschool....

if she winds up in K PS, im sure he will see how ahead she is a silly it would be for her to sit through the first half of the year doing the alphabet....

(he thinks theyll put her in 1stgrade!) lol :lol: he has no idea!

but ill continue this year and all summer with DD, build her academically and build her character, to be sure the vultures dont eat her alive if she has to go to PS

His thing is that she might perform well for me, counting, reading ect, but for other people she wont. even with him she gets nervous, he had her count this morning and she was scared too....and ofcourse she screws up. :(

oh well.....keep on trecking. God see;s my good intentions and will help us through the final result

He was not supportive of home schooling in the beginning. However, neither was I. I sure didn't want to home school. It was way too much work for me, it would be boring, and I wanted to start my career.

As time to enroll in school came closer, I kept researching our options. I'd mention home school in a doubtious way, and DH would say,"We're not going to home school. That's just weird. Besides you don't have the patience." I agreed.

Well, all the other school options did not sit well with me. I finally decided (succumbed) to home school. DH and I agreed to give it a whirl, and see how things progressed.

Now I love it. I never ever thought I would be where I am now. I love home schooling. It is the best thing for us. DH has been converted right along with me. :001_smile:

My husband thought it was a cool, if somewhat strange experiment. He gave me the blessings to give it a try,thinking that I just meant doing some fun things to prepare them for formal schooling which would begin in kindergarten or first grade. When I told him I had a long term vision for our homeschool he was thinking maybe late elementary. Umm...a little longer baby.

I think he did not understand because it was just a foreign concept to him. He also had some cultural/family influences that made it hard for him to visualize the potential. The extent of his mother's participation in his education was making sure he had something to wear each day.

Then God blessed him with a dream job, teaching culinary arts in the #1 public highschool in the region. He had many of the brightest students on campus, because it was part of the ib program. It was his first teaching experience and he was floored. He immediately knew that our children would be better off academically and socially if they were never exposed to such craziness.

The 11th and 12th grade students could not spell or write in complete sentences. They could not think. Unless the question was worded on the test exactly as it was in the lecture/book they could not produce the answer.

He broke up many fights and witnessed teens doing things in the halls that made his head spin.

Anyway, he now flat out refuses for our kinds to ever enter public school and would question very hard whether to ever consider a private school. He has said many times that he wants homeschooling our kids to be my top priority. He tries very hard to relieve any burdens that come in the way of me devoting myself fully to their education. It was an amazing turn-around. He even helps me dodge questions from his mom!!

You may be surprised by how things turn out with your husband.

Blessings

Guest Virginia Dawn

Well my first child did go to K, but once I brought her home dh was very supportive. The only concern he had at first was whether or not I was doing it because of peer pressure. :-) He's always let me do what I thought was best.

He wouldn't have me send the kids to school now unless I was at death's door.

My dh had to talk me into homeschooling. Our dc were in a private Christian classical school that we loved, but the tuition was getting too much for us.

I was able to talk him into trying ps for a year because I wanted to find a full time job and restart my career after being a SAHM for 9 years.

Not long after dc started in ps I knew that dh was right and we should be homeschooling. We waited until the beginning of the next school year to homeschool because I needed some time to get myself psyched up and prepared.

I personally couldn't do it without my dh's support and encouragement. There are still days when I'm ready to put them on the bus back to school, but each time my dh encourages me that we are doing the right thing.

I think my words before our first child was born were: "It's fine with me if you don't want to stay home with the baby. I'll do it!"

Awwwww, I love your posts. They're either hilarious, or sweet ;)... oh, and a lot of times I learn something (wasn't it you that had the talking microwave?)

I just looked through your blog and it looks great! You should have him look at it!

Dh learns more about what we do by watching me blog than any other way. There's too much to cover and even though we talk every evening, I don't really tell him our goals or anything (it would be so redundant). He likes reading the weekly reviews, because it keeps him in the loop.

I think this is a great idea. Next time you go to tell him everything your dd is doing say, 'come look at the blog, this is where I keep track of a lot of it.'

I didn't have to convince my DH. I presented the idea to him when the kids were toddlers. It was one of many options we were considering (homeschooling, moving to a better district, private school). We both approached it in that way -- as one of our options. As I researched and presented my findings to him, he agreed with my reasons for leaning towards it. When it came time for curriculum I again did most of the research and presented him with the pros and cons of the ones I was leaning towards, and we made our decision from there.

No.

I wanted to home school from the beginning. I could see it was going to be necessary.

But DH was adamantly opposed ... so as a compromise, we sent our kids to a well-regarded Catholic school ...

... until DS's 4th-grade year, when he learned exactly nothing and was socially isolated. He also had a bad teacher, who refused to work with us to get him some enrichment/acceleration/whatever. Poor DS probably burned off 1000 years in purgatory that school year. In addition, DD, 2 years younger, was not learning what she should have been learning, but we were brushed off by HER teacher when we expressed concern. I wouldn't call that teacher a bad teacher, but we certainly were unimpressed with her over that concern.

At that point, DH agreed to try home schooling for one year and then re-evaluate. By Christmas of that school year, DH told me we could continue home schooling indefinitely; he was entirely converted at that point.

Karen

My husband was the one who really convinced me to "try" homeschooling, I was the one that didn't think I could do it. He convinced me that I could and gave me tons of information and support to build up my confidence in teaching my own children. He has always been my biggest supporter and cheerleader in everything I do.

It is now 10 years later and I have graduated one homeschool student who is in her junior year at the local University majoring in Early Elementary Education and I continue to homeschool my youngest four children. Today I am so proud of myself for all I have accomplished and how I have grown as a parent in the homeschooling arena. It has really helped me to evolve in many of my parenting ideals and values. It has really encouraged me to grow in my own education while I teach my children at home.

I think one of the reasons we found homeschooling as a great approach for our family is we already did many "out of the mainstream" parenting techniques, such as : homebirthing, extended breastfeeding (until toddlers turned two years old or so) babywearing, gentle disciplining, co-sleeping, selectivly vaxing, homeopathic care, whole foods/vegetarian diet, simple living, ectera....Homeschooling just seemed to fit in well with our natural parenting philosphies of keeping our children home, attached and close to us.

We were already pretty used to being looked at as "those oddballs" for our parenting values, so homeschooling wasn't as big of a stretch for us as it may have been for some other families.

In fact, our extended family is more appalled by the fact that we don't have cable or satelite television then they ever were about the fact that we homeschool or follow any of those other "kooky" (their term) parenting techniques that we do. The biggest topic of conversation from them when they come for a visit to our home is "did you get cable television yet" ? We have not had cable television in more then 10 years, but this is still the number one question we are asked at every visit. It never gets "old" for them. They truley believe that any day now we will crack and give into this modern television craze.:lol:

Edited by Momma2Many66

My husband was halfway on board until this year (our second year). He saw the trouble our oldest had in school (she's 20 and in college now) and was seeing the frustration I was having with the school and our middle child (10). We talked about homeschooling before our move to VA and, while he was fine with it, he had his doubts. After seeing our daughter excel in the first year, he was completely on board. This year, he's excited to see our son learning to read.

Mine was always supportive, in fact, it was idea. When he first mentioned it, our youngest was about 6 months old, and frankly I had never heard of homeschooling at that point. He presented a very good case as to why we should do it and I was on board immediately.

Last spring however, he got really mad about the kids not doing what they were told and getting their work done and insisted they would be going to PS this past fall. I FREAKED out at the idea. It was really just a heat of the moment reaction for him and everything worked out before August rolled around.

Our first year we had some disagreements about how and what should be done. We had some reluctant readers and he thought I should be pushing the reading more. I did some research on the subject and made an informed decision based on my research. I basically had to tell him that unless he planned on doing the teaching he needed to "shut up and butt out". I was sure that forcing reading would just make the kids HATE it and make them not want to learn to read. The kids eventually "got it" and now are reading much better. Mr. Know It All was forced to apologize for doubting me and commending me on how well the children are now reading.

My husband was totally, utterly opposed to hsing. We fought about it worse than any other issue we've ever had and it was a landmine for about 3 years.

I do not recommend that approach.

He has come around, but I would not say he is a huge fan of homeschooling. I've known him to defend me over the years, or to defend the kids from rude relatives, but I don't think he would recommend to someone that they should homeschool.

I'm feeling anxious right now, because high school looms. I think that is where he will no longer go along with it. We really need to talk about it, but I hate to go there and I'm waiting for a good opportunity (you know, well rested, plenty of tea recently, no bad work situations hanging over his head...:D). I don't want to go to battle over high school; I would be okay with sending dd to high school. But, I still think whistfully of all that we could do if dd was home for high school. I observe home HS students that I know and I really admire them. I don't think they would have the high character they have if they were in ps.

My dh was mostly indifferent. I educated him and myself with the few materials available - it was 1988. I had a 14yos in the ps's at the time and we had both been watching him go through the ps system without a lot of real academic learning going on (he was learning things, true ... just not a lot of academics). I suppose the clincher came when I finally had ds tested for supposed learning disabilities which everybody and their mother kept asking me if he had. When I went in to hear the results, they said he had NO learning disabilities (well duh!!:glare:); but that he was 'behind'. When questioned, I learned that the ps system he was in did absolutely nothing for any kids who were behind until they were 2 years behind. :001_huh: So what they were telling me was that they basically let kids get so far behind that there was almost no hope of their ever catching up, before they did anything about it.

And, btw, I was always asking his teachers how he was doing. 90% of the time I heard, "Fine".

Anyway, after feeling quite powerless over the whole ps thing with 14yos, I was overjoyed to learn about hs'ing. So I researched and shared all of it with dh. He listened - even when he probably just wished I'd shut up - and pretty much let me decide for myself. Dh has always worked long days and been very wrapped up in his job. Still is. So, even though I consulted him as much as I could, he remained basically indifferent. And I took that as a resounding YES!! ;) to hs'ing, so here we are.

Edited by ksva

Yep-

My husband was/is supportive of homeschooling. It was really funny this year because his mom has made all sorts of comments to him, not me, about homeschooling. She doesn't agree with it. Apparently she told him she was worried about socialization. He told her, actually, I think my kids are oversocialized! He started listing all the things the kids are involved with.....

You know that's support when your hubby defends it to the parents:)