Menu

So what is everyone reading this week?

Just finished Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food. Fascinating, convicting, and deeply common-sense. I told dh he is required to read it too. :D

Just before that I really enjoyed My Life in France, by Julia Child. She is delightful! Lovely, light reading about an interesting woman and wonderful French culture. I now have a deep, heartfelt need to try cooking something French. :)

While I did enjoy the movie Julie and Julia, I found the bits of the book that I read to be crass and not nearly as much fun as either the movie or My Life in France.

Just finished Freakonomics (meh) and Catching Fire (thumbs up). Just started The Help, and after 13 pages can tell this is going to be a great read.

And I get my brand new Kindle tomorrow! Woohoo!

One of the best books I've read. Really enjoyed the characters.

Just finished Maya by Jostein Gaarder. I didn't like Sophie's World, but think I ought to try it again now I'm older, but I have liked some of his others though the endings are never as good as I think they should be. I didn't realise he'd written so many so I'm intending to read more. I've just borrowed a bunch of Jackie French's gardening books though, so I must divert. Dh is on a bit of a greenie roll so I'd like to help keep it going :)

Rosie

I'm reading Mary: The Birth Giver of God by St. John Maximovitch. Very interesting. The veneration of Mary is new to our faith experience, so I'm having some "huh!" moments. To the kids I'm reading The Big Goose and The Little White Duck by Meindert Dejong.

Edited by milovaný

I just finished The Intimate Merton: His Life from His Journals. I love anything by or about Merton, so I was sad when I finished this one.

And have begun The Divine Comedy. I've never read it before and I'm going to really happy when I move from hell to purgatory. Holy cow!

I need permission to drop this from ds's eighth grade reading list I think. I hated it and found it dull and preachy the first time around and guess what? It's still dull and preachy.

Also Les Miserables. Anyone else finished this?? I love the story so much, but it is so long!

I am reading a few things right now -

Patriot's History of the United State - just ok so far

Perrines Poetry (Sound/Sense) - loving it!

Families Where Grace is in Place - very good for this semi-recovering control freak!

Just finished O Pioneers! and I was surprised at how big it was, considering how short it was...if that makes sense!

Just finished Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food. Fascinating, convicting, and deeply common-sense. I told dh he is required to read it too. :D

Just before that I really enjoyed My Life in France, by Julia Child. She is delightful! Lovely, light reading about an interesting woman and wonderful French culture. I now have a deep, heartfelt need to try cooking something French. :)

While I did enjoy the movie Julie and Julia, I found the bits of the book that I read to be crass and not nearly as much fun as either the movie or My Life in France.

:iagree: I am reading Julie and Julia. I am finding it to be crass and not as light hearted as the movie. I just finished My Life in France. (I liked it the tone of My Life in France much more than Julie and Julia.) I am also reading A Passion for Mathematics.

I need some new titles to ponder.

I am reading "Same Kind of DIfferent as Me"

and you?

I am reading Outlander...by recommendation of some ladies on this board. I love the writing style. The book is kinda weird. Not sure who the good guys are...not sure if i really care...but it is definitely a "Survivor" book. Not really sure where the graphic scenes came in that I read about here...yeah there was some, but nothing too too.....KWIM? Anyway, I have been tired and not really very focused , so this has been a kind of "take my mind off it all" read and I am not sure I paid really good attention to the nuances of the novel. it was fun...sort of like watching a "made for TV" movie.

~~Faithe

Just finished Protecting the Gift, ala board recommendations.

Am finally reading Pride & Prejudice for the first time. :blushing:

Also have the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency thing started, because I thought I'd heard of it here. Boy does that thing start slow. (I'm only on p2, lol.)

Just finished Animal Farm. Doing Man Without a Country.

I need permission to drop this from ds's eighth grade reading list I think. I hated it and found it dull and preachy the first time around and guess what? It's still dull and preachy.

You have my permission!

Also Les Miserables. Anyone else finished this?? I love the story so much, but it is so long!

My oldest and I both read this when she was in 9th grade. I'd given her the choice of a couple of shorter classics or Les Miserables but she chose the latter being a big fan of Les Mis.

Which translation do you have? The first translation we had made it seem as though we were slogging through mud. We were so happy when we came upon another translation that made the reading so much more pleasurable. The translation we liked was by Norman Denny.

Regards,

Kareni

Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from its Cultural Captivity by Nancy Pearcey. I delayed starting school for 2 hours this morning while I read....:tongue_smilie:

Leanna

Oooh! That looks good. I'm adding it to my list. (My very, very long list... which doesn't include the books sitting in my very, very tall piles. :D )

I read this in 2008. I finished it, but DH had to listen to a lot of grumbling about Hugo's need for an editor. :tongue_smilie:

I really enjoyed Same Kind of Different As Me. I just wanted to bring Denver home and feed him.

I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which was fabulous. I'm finishing up Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell right now and it is eye-opening to say the least.

I just started The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet last night. It's had a bit of a slow start, but we'll see if it picks up. It is supposed to be good.

Looking forward to this thread. I need a new book. Recently finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Are you enjoying Same Kind of Different as Me? I loved that book.

I loved The Guernsey Literary... Society. I just finished it the other day, and I'm very sad because I adore the characters. I can't believe they are fictional!

Just finished Freakonomics (meh) and Catching Fire (thumbs up). Just started The Help, and after 13 pages can tell this is going to be a great read.

And I get my brand new Kindle tomorrow! Woohoo!

It's killing me because I'm number 30 on the library waitlist for The Help. I think I"m going to have to break down and buy it.

For myself, I'm reading Don Quixote. I expected it to be dreary. It's hysterical!

With our Japanese student, I am reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food. She's reading it in her English classes this term.

For my daughter, I am reading Girls Growing Up on the Autism Spectrum: What Parents Should Know About the Pre-Teen and Teenage Years.

To the boys I am reading Charlotte's Web.

Cat

It's the Lee Fahnestock and Norman MacAfee translation.

I Googled Lee Fahnestock for more information and found that she is a contemporary translator. The initial (mud-slogging) translation of Les Miserables that we'd attempted was by a translator who was contemporaneous with Hugo. I suspect your translation will be fine. (... or you could always try the Denny one!)

Regards,

Kareni